It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caring for an Aging Dog

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well, there is an ongoing debate about what "human" foods are and arent good for dogs. I think eggs are great as theyre full of protein and the likes but people argue that some chickens are treated with hormones, yada yada... so yeah. Not sure what to think on that end. I do give my pups a scrambled egg or two once in a great while, less the salt of course. I would say that even though your pup does not have bad teeth you may still want to feed softer treats if possible. Its kind of like how some of us older humans have good teeth but they are sensitive to some things. Also, any treat with glucosamine in it would be good for her life stage so just shop around as I dont know what you have in your area. I really admire your love for your dog... I really respect someone who can show that kind of love onto an animal! Thumbs up. Keep me posted on her and if anything ever happens that worries you of ir you have any questions I might know the answer to, feel free to PM me anytime or you can add me on facebook if you have it, my email is: raiderlove86@yahoo.com . Have a great day hun!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I've been a bit tearful reading this thread too. Still, it doesn't hurt to remind ourselves how much we love them or how much they love us.

You baby is beautiful. These sorts of dog are very special but can take some getting used to.

I'd never seen a Staff before I met the little one who was to eventually become mine. He was standing up at my friend's gate and started to smile at me. As his jaw got wider and wider..... and wider, my jaw nearly hit the floor

But now, after having two, I can see their beauty easily. And both of mine have been far more intelligent than I am - and they've known it. Manipulative little monsters

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Dude

Cassie (R.I.P)

My Jakey boy

edit on 17-1-2011 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Everybody thanks. I like hearing about your babies and seeing their pictures.

I'm home for the holiday today, and Scout had her toast with a scrambled egg this morning, and she loved it.
I then put a dollop of peanut butter on the roof of her mouth. Yes, I know. She's spends five minutes sitting in the kitchen trying to lick it off. She doesn't mind. Sometimes I hide a pill in there if she needs one.

Oh, this is funny. I got this off the net a while back.

I'm sure you will notice it doesn't apply only to terriers.

The Terrier Property Laws

1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours.
6. If I'm chewing something up, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it just looks like mine, it's mine.
8. If I saw it first, it's mine.
9 If you are playing with something and you put it down, it automatically becomes mine.
10. If it's broken, it's yours.

Author Unknown

I've always thought this was funny, I guess because I relate to it so much. Scout has many, many strong points and good qualities, but sharing isn't one of them. lol.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Dude truly looks like a magnificent creature, and I love the Cassie avy!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
HA!! That is so tyrue... that describes my little black poodle perfectly. He thinks EVERYTHING is his.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ZyPHeR

I really do not think that I would have been able to express better than you have all that is involved in hving an aging pet.

Excellent post.

I even agree with your *signature*.

Well done.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
What a thread, had to fight back a tear a few times. Very moving and also some wonderful pics.
I have an old girl of my own, Ripley is a 14 year old rescued wiemaraner, we had her when she was 4 years old, she was very poorly and we were told she would not live long, maybe a year or two. Ten years on and she is now coming to the last chapter of her life. She's starting to have some trouble getting around and I'm not ashamed to admit that when she can't make the stairs I sleep on the sofa (couch for our American cousins) downstairs with her in a big comfy dog bed.

To anyone with an older dog, one of the best things for them to eat is mackrell, the fish oil is great for there old joints and bones.
Also dogs don't get on well with cows milk because of the lactouse, a better option is goats milk, good for wheaning puppies.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Kurokage because: bad grammer!!

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

Hi Kurokage. Weimies were "my breed", my dog, for most of my life. I once had six at once! I love them so so much. They are so intelligent, it's scary at times. Even my mother, who was not a dog lover particularly, commented on looking into their eyes was more like looking into a person's eyes, than a dog. Like BH's shepherd, in her avy.

But that is old for a large breed like weimies.

I've gone to a smaller breed now, simply because when something happens to them, I want to be able to pick them up if I need to, and I couldn't with my last big dog, an Airedale.

Now, along with Scout who is a Wirefox Terrier, I have a West Highland Terrier who is two years old. Sims.
I can practically carry her in my purse. lol.

But I will always love the "big dogs". I still sometimes dream about my weimies, and see them running in a field much like my avatar. They zoom past me as if to say "See how happy we are?".

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I would love six, I've got three Weims' at the moment (always had weims'). Had Neyah from a pup and she is now 16 months old, and into everything!! Diesel is a 3 year old rescued dog with a few problems from a previous owner but had him nearly a year and he's settling down really well. He's turning into a big softie form being a bit bitey.
It's a shame some people don't realise how big and bold some breeds get and end up getting rid of them when they reach 18 months to two years old, I'd give them all a home if I could, I just don't have the space.
edit on 18-1-2011 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurokage

I know. They are so adventurous. When I had the six, I lived on 40 acres, and a creek ran though the property.
They were in heaven. They had an outdoor kennel, but I brought them in at night! lol. Never had to worry about a thing......Best protection any woman could ever want...

And traveling in my car? pfft. Take a couple of them in back seat, and nobody would dare come near that car. lol.

My circumstances have changed now, but I will always love them. I saw one in the waiting room at the Vet's the other day, and I wanted to kidnap her. She was gorgeous. We bonded.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join