It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caring for an Aging Dog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Caring for an Aging Dog

My wire fox terrier recently had her 13th birthday. We've been through a lot together; wonderful times, and difficult times. She has always helped me in countless ways, and I love her dearly.

When I bought her, I had a male wire fox, and I wanted his puppies, so I actually had that in mind when I got her. They were adorable together, and loved one another instantly. She was six weeks old when I brought her home, and he was five years old.

Six months after I brought her home, he had to have emergency surgery (swallowed one of those metal tags off a rose bush) and it set up an infection. He died from complications from the anesthesia, while having this hateful object removed. Soon after, she had an issue with “girl stuff”, and had to have an emergency hysterectomy, so puppies were out of the question.

She's so dear to me, and I can tell you I've learned many things about dogs in my life because I've had many, but she, “Scout”, has a sense of humor you would have to see to believe. Once she makes you laugh, she will repeat the funny behavior over and over.

The other day, for example, she sneezed, and I “fake-sneezed” back at her. She sneezed again, and I started laughing, and again I sneezed. The more I laughed, the more she “fake sneezed”. It was hilarious. We also fake-yawn, and you wouldn't believe how loud and long she can carry this on..........
as long as people are laughing. (She puts on a show in the waiting room at the vet's.....everybody cracks up at her with her dramatic “fake-yawning”.)

The aging process seems to be coming on fast now. The last few months, I've really noticed it.
Her eyes have the “blue glaze” older dogs sometimes get, and although I read somewhere it's just cloudiness that doesn't effect her vision, my vet said it is probably macular degeneration. I can tell, however, that her vision is effected, but she's not blind. Her hearing is also poor, now. I have to talk louder to her, and she doesn't wake up when I walk past her as she always had. (At least she's not terrified of thunder anymore, so that's a plus, lol. She's never seemed to understand why I don't “get” that thunder means death is imminent.)

I know she realizes she's in a fragile state, because she is glued to me when I'm home. I suspect she stays under my bed when I'm gone. She doesn't want me out of her sight. She's always wanted to know where I am, as I do her, but now it's not just a matter of being in the same room. It's being in physical contact with me. She is under my desk now, with her face resting on my foot. Typically at this time, I would be here at the computer, with her in the same room but she's always watching television. I turn it on and “mute” it, but then she barks at me until I turn the sound on for her. But she's not watching television now, or only for a little while, if it has a dog. (Which she barks at with great vigor). Anyway, I think the physical contact makes her feel more secure.

Her teeth and mouth are in good shape, and there is no incontinence. She still goes to the door when she needs to go out. Her appetite is diminished, and her stomach is sensitive. She still loves her little treats so much, but I have really had to cut back on them to just bland ole bog biscuits. I bought some “gourmet” biscuits at the pet store, for dogs with sensitive stomachs, and she threw them up instantly. They were made with oatmeal. Sigh. I hate that for her. Her favorite thing is peanut-butter toast, which she usually has on the weekends, but I'm thinking of letting her have it everyday? And she is losing weight. I worry that she might have some type cancer, but I'm not going to have her tested. I don't think I will. I can't put her through a bunch of tests and treatments, and plus, she's not allowed to spend the night away from home as per orders from her dog-mom. (me) It disorients her. Mama can't have that.

Her back legs are weak. I don't think it's arthritis, because she doesn't seem to be in pain. My back yard is tiered, and she seems to choose a path now, instead of the steps. Especially when coming up. I keep some remedyl on hand, in the event she does have pain, but mostly it's just weakness, I think.

But what's prompted this thread, is she is my little "whale". You know how their fins are always up, unless they are in captivity, or something is wrong. Scout always carries her tail up, unless she is sick, or there is thunder outside. Now, her tail is in the down position, and it has been for several days. After I have been “loving” on her, it will come up, but only for a few minutes, then, right back down.
She sleeps much of the time, but still likes to go outside a couple of times a day and engage in her favorite pastime.....barking. Which I let her do, I don't care what the neighbors think as long as it is after 7am and not after 10pm. I just let her go for it.

I know what I am facing, and this is the first time I've had a dog live this long. The life expectancy for this breed is 14 years, and I would like to exceed that, as long as she is not in pain, and hope she at least has another year.

I've heard things really get tough when they lose teeth, and become incontinent, but we aren't there yet.

I'm looking for tips and advice in making my dog happy and comfortable at her life's end. Are there those of you who have cared for an elderly dog? What can I expect in the coming months?

Suggestions are welcomed.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I feel so sorry for you as I am in t he same place with my dog. I dont think I can offer any words that will make it seem easier. I can only tell you about how its been so far since I pulled my dog back from the brink of death, and thats to say, not so great. My dalmatian will be 13 in June and went into kidney failure around the end of the summer. He had also been suffering from a skin condition for a few years which finally turned cancerous, as I had previoulsy had tumors removed from him on a few occasions. When I took him to the vet only to find death was imminent due to kidney failure, the only option was spend ALOT of money or put him to sleep. SO, of course I spent the thousands as I have before and had all the problems, including tumors, attended to again. The vet was confident that she removed all the cancer and provided daily medication for the kidney problem. Six months later and the cancer/tumor is back and worse than ever, he is pooping on himself and on everything and I am left wondering how long can this go on? I am so regretful everytime I look at him suffering, not just the effects of old age, but the debilitating effects of the disease process. My only advice to you would be to make your doggie as comfortable as possible, and when its time for him to go, dont be selfish like I was and make him stick around and suffer for you. I dont know whats worse, waiting for him to die, or wishing I had put him down in the first place.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I'm so sorry to hear about the situation with Scout. It's clear you love her and that the feeling is mutual. She sounds like a truly special dog. Do you have a picture of her to post? I would give her peanut butter toast every day if she were mine. Maybe just a little. That's not going to hurt her at all if her stomach can take it.

I'm afraid I can't give you advice as I have never dealt with an elderly dog before either. But I'm hoping that I'll know when the time comes.

We have a dog (Cara) who we're starting to watch for signs of 'the end', too. She's only 9 years old, but she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia at 6 months old. They didn't expect her to live this long. She's in considerable pain, but still making it outside when she needs to. Heck, I'm in pain, too, but I'm not ready to be put down. Otherwise, Cara just lies around most of the time. She has lost weight recently for no known reason, so we're concerned about that.

But as long as she's willing and able to get up and out the door when she needs to, we're going to help her stay with us. She's on a pain cocktail now that makes it possible for her to sleep comfortably and get around a little in the day. She still joins the rest of us on our twice-daily outings, but she doesn't move around much. Just finds a nice place to lie in the sun and watch the other dogs play.

My husband and I trust that we'll know when the time is right. It will be a very hard thing to do, but I don't want her to be in so much pain that she doesn't want to get up. When that time comes, it will be time.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this and I hope Scout has many wonderful days left with you. Hugs to you both.

This is Cara.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
All you can do like a human, is make the dog comfortable as possible. Once the dog is over 10 or so, it will be on its way out. You have to accept all things die, and one day the dog will be gone.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Shame these things happen, but thats life, and its part of life.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hi... your post touched me and thats saying a lot as most dont. I love my dog more than life itself sometimes it seems... I always joke that if a car were about to hit her i'd shove her out of the way and take the hit myself! Sad thing is, I probably would. I have worked at our family owned pet store since I was 13 or 14 and im 24 now, I have owned most every animal once can think of including a sugar glider, blue ringed octopus, mantis shrimp, chameleons, ferrets, snakes, etc etc etc etc. I have a vast knowledge of dogs and we even bred blue ribbon winning american bulldogs for a good amount of years so maybe I can help you out a little bit. There is a product called nutri-cal that most pet stores carry, get the senior type. It is essentially a high calorie flavored "gel" for the dog to eat and it helps when theyre not eating well to keep the weight on their bones, rather than them withering away. It also has vitamins and the like to help keep them healthy. The thing with the eyes is also natural, they develop in old age and while some dogs get cataracts, some get a blue-fog type glazing over their eyes and I do believe it hinders their sight, if only slightly. Glucosamine and chrondroitin supplements for dogs are also available at most pet store and this helps ease the aching in their joints and bones that most older dogs get and even humans who experience joint pains use the same supplement. It never hurts to have buffered aspirin for dogs around (do not use human aspirin, it is harmful to them!) incase they seem to be in pain. For a large dog, life spans can be from 8-12 years normally, sometimes you will hear stories of them getting older but its not usually common. Small dogs can live from 10-15 years normally but some have been recorded living up to 22 years. They dont have the body strains like larger dogs do so thats working for you. The best thing to do is make her comfortable. While it doesnt seem to me like she has one foot in the door so to speak, she is getting older in her years so give her all the love you can. A dog pledges its undying loyalty to you from the very beginning and I feel that it should be mutual. We have a printed quote up in our store that says "I am your protector, your guardian. My life is short lived so it should be filled with happy times between us. Every moment you are away from me seems like an eternity so please dont leave me behind. I am your dog, your best friend, your family." I always get a little emotional when I think of that because I work and cant always be with my dogs but I try to give them the best life possible. It may be hard to do but if it ever comes down to it and she is in great despair and pain, do the right thing and take her to be put down. It may sound cruel but I think its even more cruel to let them suffer. I squeezed my bulldog in my arms like the world was ending when she was put down with tears streaming down my face but in my heart I knew I did what was right. I truly hope your pup has plenty years ahead of her having great times with you, just make them count. Cherish every minute... and honor her memory like a family member when she does pass. She will never forget you.

Sorry bout all the pics... got all teary-eyed writing that and wanted to show you my daughter. -Z-

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by hybridkate

What a dilemma. I'm so sorry you have been through so much, and your dalmation, too. Thirteen is a good long time, though, for a larger dog, isn't it? I don't think large breeds live as long as the smaller breeds typically do.
It is amazingly painful to lose one. When I lost my five year old wirefox to that surgery, I think I cried for a good two months, and then it took me a year to get over it. Of course, when I took him in for the surgery, I had no clue anything would go wrong. It was sudden, and shocking.

Scout also has some little things that look like moles underneath her coat, that have surfaced in the last few months. Maybe a little larger than a BB. I've wondered if maybe they are cancerous tumors. There's probably six or seven of them. But at 13, I don't really want to know. I will keep her out of pain as long as I can, and otherwise let nature take it's course. The vet has seen them, and said he doesn't think they are malignant, so for now, that's good enough for me.

I've always heard that when they become incontinent, or staying in pain, then it's time.

I have had a dog put down before. Three years ago, an Airedale. Satchel. She was eight. The last few months she cried all night, and I got up with her. She was emotionally distressed, too, and frustrated because she couldn't get up well, and had trouble with the "squat", when pooping. She was large for an Airedale, 82 lbs. I had trouble lifting her to help her. I made the decision quickly, after one particularly bad night she had. Of course, all my visitors would suggest it, way before that.

I missed her, of course, I still do. I adored her. But somehow it wasn't as painful as suddenly losing a young healthy dog.

But it hurts like hell. I had Satchel cremated, and she is here atop a bookcase. Hope that doesn't sound creepy.

I know you don't want anymore suffering. You'll let him go when it's time.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you. I wanted to hear from you. I know how much you love dogs, I've seen your videos, and your avatar.

Cara, those eyes. Just like your big dog. Your dogs have so much intelligence in their eyes. They must take after their Mom.

Thanks for "permission" on the peanut butter toast. I was afraid of being jumped on for that. lol. You never know around here. Sometimes she goes to "her" toaster, and sits there and looks at it. Longingly. But it's not upsetting her stomach, and she loves it so, she actually cries for it sometimes. (This takes the form of coming to me whining, then running to the toaster repeatedly until she's made her point.) When I get out the bread and the peanut butter, she knows it's coming, and it's "fins up". I think I will let her have it everyday now.

Sorry, I don't know how to post a pict. The ones I have of her are mostly before she got older.

Damn I hate hip dysplasia! I wish there was no such thing. And the diagnosis came so early. I know usually it's before the age of two years, but Cara was just a young young pup. It's heart breaking, but they just run along and adjust the best they can, seeming to accept it. I love them so. We've so much to learn from them.
But you guys already know that.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I feel bad for you but its life and its not the end. Im dreading the day my buddy sampson has to go in some ways I hope I leave first. He is the only thing that has stuck with me through thick and thin for the last 6yrs and dont know if I can make it with out him. Hes always happy when I get home, likes a good joke and will guard me from ones that wish to do me harm.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20d4d7867324.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ZyPHeR

Sorry for all the picts? What? I loved them. That dog is force unto herself. Absolutely adorable in every way. And a little scruffy. I let Scout get scruffy too, and it seems to have always fitted her personality more, than the little prissy do's. Although I think most of my picts of her are after she's been to the groomers.
(Reminder to self: Talk pictures of Scout.)

And what a menagerie of pets you've had. If I worked in a pet store, I can see myself doing the same.

Okay then.

Nutri-Cal. Check. I'll get some Tuesday when the stores reopen after the holiday.
Buffered aspirin. Check. I know regular aspirin damages the stomach lining, and they can't take tylenol.
So Bufferin it is. I alternated the Remedyl and the Bufferin with my Airedale, and this was okay until it wasn't okay anymore.

I bought some vitamins the other day, but I've only given her one, because it lists "corn syrup" as one of the main ingredients. Not sure about that. I want nutri-cal.

Thank you for posting. I enjoyed your comments and pictures so much.

The vet told me to make sure she has a soft comfy bed to get her old bones up off the hard floor. She's always had a bed, but she only sleeps on it in the winter or the early morning hours. She seems to prefer a cool tile in summer, but now I notice she's in her bed more. But it's also January!

Thanks again. If you think of anything else I can do, please advise. Any "treats" you know of that are good?
We are having a hard time with this. She loves them, and I like giving them to her, but it's hard now, to find something.

I thought about a scrambled egg on toast. Is that bad?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Sampson is beautiful, hb. He looks so powerful and healthy. Long live Sampson!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   

The furbaby in my AV will be 13 in April. Every day, every minute we have with them is a gift.

Re her eyesight, the cloudiness is most likely cataracts. One way people (vets, shelters, rescuers, etc) judge the age of foundlings is by how clear their corneas are. In all probability, it is affecting her vision & that's part of what is causing her to be clingier. I know I don't need to suggest that you indulge her all that you can. If you haven't, you might try 3 Dog Bakery Roll Over Rewards. They're tiny, all natural human grade, & I have never had a treat that was more benign on their systems.
I agree so strongly with you re cancer. Actually, I would do no more than palliative care (keeping their quality of life up with Prednisone & pain control) even with a young dog. Possibly surgery if the prognosis were extremely good & you have a surgeon that you implicity trust both in competence & kindness. Also nutriceuticals/ Chinese herbs. I wouldn't go there at 13, though.

I would never give Rimadyl (also called Novox & there's another generic name. I want to say Carpacin?) or Deramax. They are so toxic. Two of our dogs have severe arthritis (one of those + dyplasia). One is on half a Tramadol twice a day. The other takes a whole one x 2 plus Gabapentin once a day & a Dasequin (like Cosequin but supposedly better). Both are *very* energetic & lively. Our AV girl still has to struggle to get up & falls down occasionally (she can also knock you down & never miss a step), but she is hoppy/ dancey & running on all 4 legs (she used to move her hind legs together). It's also very inexpensive, as drugs go- especially someplace like Costco.

ETA KV Vet Supply (kvpet.com, I think) is a great resource for all manner of stuff including prescription meds (your vet can fax it in). They're a LOT cheaper on everything & ship free above $50 on everthing but large items like crates & x pens.

ETA2 Peanut butter is great (esp if you're trying get weight on/ keep it up). Scrambled eggs are fine if you're really, really careful about grease (butter is ok for them actually. just not too much. I blot scrambled eggs) Boiled eggs are probably the best. Both are high in protein. Having said that, it's a good idea to kinda watch it on the protein because it can be hard on their kidneys. I wish I had the BUN (blood/ urea/ nitrogen) thing figured out so that I could relate this. One of my vets said something about giving a TUMS to neutralize (or bind, actually) the protein, but I didn't really listen closely (enough pills already), concluding to cut protein 4 days a week (by giving mostly green beans) instead. It worked.

edit on 16-1-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2011 by DogsDogsDogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
My "Sammy" is 16 years old. He is 1/2 chihuahua and 1/2 min-pin and he is my son! He has EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) that is managed with enzymes put in his food. His sight is not great and he's near-deaf. He's also shown a little bit of dementia as he gets out of his bed and doesn't remember why he got up, he'll pee on the floor (never used to) forgetting to go outside first.

But I figure so long as he's still happy, we'll deal with whatever elderly-dog challenges come along. When my Sammy is no longer happy to be alive, I will know it by looking into his eyes.

Until then, I enjoy every day we have together as a precious gift!

edit on 1/16/11 by Rockerchic4God because: error

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DogsDogsDogs

Your furbaby is adorable. Thirteen, too. Hm. I had scout checked for cataracts, but she doesn't have them. The vet said those appear as white, which is different than the blue glaze. I agree the clinging is probably due to the vision and hearing problems. Insecurity.

You know.....sometimes I believe I can think like a dog. lol. When I need to. But sometimes I wonder, what does she think about all this? I wish I could explain the aging process to her sometimes. She's always just taken everything right in stride. This too, as much as she can.

I will try to pick up some of those treats. Our pet store has a "bakery" of things, and I might try some of those too. I let her do whatever she wants, she does as she pleases, except I have to control what she eats. She's just become more lethargic than usual.

Oil of peppermint used to be used for queasy stomachs, so I planted some peppermint in the garden for them to graze on when they wanted. Of course they graze on everything except the peppermint. I give her pepto-bismol tablets for upset tummy and this is quite helpful.

Oh I think they have some tramadol somewhere, left over from something. I know the Remedyl can cause toxicity in the liver, but right now she's not taking enough to matter, although that could change.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockerchic4God

Thanks for posting, I love your attitude! I want a good attitude, but keep having bouts of sadness.

I notice Scout is getting a little forgetful too. At bedtime, I let them out last thing. A few minutes later she's back at the door. It's not that there is an 'emergency', I think she just forgotten that she just came in.
But that's only happened a couple of times.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

thinking like a dog- lol don't doubt it! I really think they are sooo much wiser than we. I guess it could be that she's conscious of her time being shorter & maybe just isn't quite okay with it, but usually they seem so philosophical to me. I believe that we communicate with one another (more natural for them. I wish we humans could be so confident) at least on a trivial level ("you're going in the kitchen, aren't you?" or "you're fixing to leave me home" when you haven't even begun getting ready or "I need ..." & you figure that out pretty quick) but I think probably on a deeper one, too. We become such an extension of one another. Heh They get us trained.
Drs Foster & Smith have an informative site for health & behavioral questions.
www.peteducation.com

and I have used vetinfo.com, too. I think their site has branched off, though, so for dogs, it might be different & have a redirect deal. There's all manner of stuff on the internet. If you're good at searching (I'm not), I bet there's more than I can imagine.

It helps to have places to go for ideas & reassurance, I think! I know it has for me.

Oh. Pepto has aspirin in it (which I didn't know until an issue with an Erlichia dog last spring) so be careful if you are giving aspirin already. There is a dog aspirin called Vetrin that we used pre Tramadol. It's a chewable. We give half a 10mg Pepcid for a 20 lb dog instead of Pepto in case somebody gets pukey. jmho, it's better (safer) than Reglan & works as well, sometimes faster. :-) Easier to give than Pepto.

Target & Walmart have carried 3 Dog items (& have stores, but not everywhere). I use their website or the 800 number & they ship it right out. www.threedog.com I originally found them at Target.
We also buy Healthy Bones biscuits (not sure if these would work for you- turkey, oatmeal, cranberries, flaxseed, vit E & zinc) from onlynaturals.com & they have automatic shipping (which I LOVE!) They have other stuff (like food) but it works out about the same or a little more than local places.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I had an elderly staffordshire bull terrier, adopted form a dear friend who was getting too old to look after him.

He was about eleven when he came to me and I had him for just over three years. Managing an elderly dog can take some ingenuity and perseverance, but you are so in tune with your dog it will make it easier to anticipate her needs.

When I started to worry about my dog's arthritis and noticed he wasn't walking so well I got him a baby buggy and took him out in that. No-one believed I would do it, but he was perfectly comfortable and easier for people to reach when they wanted to pet him. If a little kid in a buggy approached us, they used to laugh and smile to see a dog being trundled about in the same way they were.

He used to love watching TV and would lie on the sofa with my housemate, his favourite spot in all the world, and they'd fall asleep together, heads thrown back and snoring in harmony. I've got photos of that, but I'm keeping them for the purpose of blackmail

When the end came it wasn't unexpected, but it was a bit more sudden than we would have thought. The dog wasn't eating, if I remember, but anyway something alerted us and we took him to the vet who gave us some medicine and, for a week, we gave him that and tried to get him to eat or drink. We took him back to the vet who gave us another week's worth of medicine. We didn't think the medicine was doing any good so we took him to a spiritual healer who correctly located a problem in his stomach and gently tried to prepare us for the worst.

We were so worried about him not drinking and had tried to spoon a little water into his mouth to give him some comfort before taking him back to the vet. On that day we wheeled him through the park and were planning to take some photos on the way home.

The vet examined him and to my utter dismay told us that he was dehydrated. That he wanted to drink, even though he couldn't manage to do it. I was devastated. I knew we'd tried, but to think of him thirsting and unable to get a proper relief was almost more than I could bear. I remember that horrible feeling of wanting to collapse.

We left him at the vet for the day so they could re-hydrate him but when we went back for him were advised to leave him overnight and they suggested giving him a scan the next day.

He was so ill that he didn't need to be sedated for the scan and it was found that he had cancer in his stomach. That finding made it so easy for me to make a decision about what should be done. I'd spent a fortnight trying to help him eat and drink and keep him comfortable and, honestly, I think that was a week too long.

We were with him when he was put down in the evening. He was so heavy that he was lying on the floor and we sat down there with him and held him. I know it was the right decision and I always felt that he'd drunk his life until the last dregs. That when he went, although he might have liked to stay with us a bit longer, he knew it was his time. His old body couldn't support him any more.

I had him buried at a pet cemetery, it was the best I could do for him. He had a proper coffin and it was open when we went to say goodbye. He was covered in a blanket and I couldn't bear to remove it, although I could see his paws.

We were left beside the grave, alone for a few moments, before it was filled in and, as we were saying our last goodbyes a gust of wind blew pink blossom over us. I don't know how that happened, the tree was quite some distance away. But it was a real 'moment'.

Please, don't be afraid to let your dog go if the time feels right or if she is in too much discomfort. I've lost many pets, because I've usually had rodents and they only have a year or two to live. I can always cope with losing them so long as I know that they've had the best life I could give them. It's not always easy to make their death comfortable or easy, it's heartbreaking if one takes a turn for the worst suddenly and they die on the way to the vet. I've always been so grateful when they've died peacefully with me holding them, or they've passed away in the night tucked up in my bed.

I hope you can make the right choices for your dog. The worst thing is thinking that you've chosen badly. The man who ran the pet cemetery assured me that I'd done the right thing. As he said "you wouldn't put your ninety year old granny through all that" (the trauma of cancer treatment) and I think that's right.

Somehow you have to weigh up the quality of life and if the quality diminishes too much and the animal is distressed, you have to be brave and let go.

Your dog sounds such a dear little thing and is having a great life with you. It will be wonderful if she can carry on, I hope she does, but I'm sure you will have nothing to blame yourself for. Give her a hug for me

edit on 16-1-2011 by berenike because: grammar

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
throw her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich,stuffed with a non harmful amount of pharmacuticals.
and you will have a best friend in no time.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

I had to blink back the tears reading your post

My best friend is an 8 year old, huge, handsome mastiff - Dude.

Loved him since the second he drew breath, one of a beautiful litter of 13 born to my mastiff girl Cassie, (R.I.P. Cass - miss you so much).

He's always been there with me, good times and bad. He doesn't judge me. He doesn't care if I'm rich or broke, or if I'm ugly or beautiful, sane or insane, intelligent or dim, or even if I'm a good person or bad, his love is unconditional.

He is perfect - in EVERY way.

I am honoured that he is my friend, I wish I could be more like him.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

I feel bad for you but its life and its not the end. Im dreading the day my buddy sampson has to go in some ways I hope I leave first. He is the only thing that has stuck with me through thick and thin for the last 6yrs and dont know if I can make it with out him. Hes always happy when I get home, likes a good joke and will guard me from ones that wish to do me harm.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20d4d7867324.jpg[/atsimg]

He's absolutely GAWWWJUSSS!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

My Pal

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join