It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food "Safety" Bill Empowers Monsanto to Control Food Industry‏

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Food "Safety" Bill Empowers Monsanto to Control Food Industry‏

truthsquad.tv

Under the guise of protecting Americans from food-borne illnesses, Congress has passed the S510 Food Safety Act, granting unlimited power to the FDA to oversee the processing of food from farm to table....

The farmer representatives will no doubt include Monsanto, the biotech company standing behind the bill that stands to benefit from it the most. The FDA is intimately linked with Monsanto –

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related Above Top Secret Thread:
In Sunday Evening Suprise, Senate Unanimously Passes Food Safety Bill

Related News Links:
dailycaller.com
www.nytimes.com
edit on 16-1-2011 by burntheships because: foramt

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

"If you put a label on genetically engineered food you might as well put a skull and crossbones on it." - Norman Braksick, president of Asgrow Seed Co., a subsidiary of Monsanto, quoted in the Kansas City Star, March 7, 1994

This is the real reason behind the Food Safety Bill passed January 4, 2011!

January 13, 2011, Michael Taylor who was a Monsanto lawyer as well as its Vice President for Public policy was just appointed as the "New Official" !

The Obama administration, moving to address the nation’s fractured food safety system, on Wednesday appointed Michael R. Taylor, a veteran food expert, as deputy commissioner for foods at the Food and Drug Administration. The newly created position is the first to oversee all the agency’s many food and nutrition programs.

While other countries are left devasted by a dubious biotech future that did not deliver on its promises, our own government has long been an enthusiastic GM-proponent!

Monsanto was facing a huge decline :

Monsanto’s Roundup, the agro-toxic companion herbicide for millions of acres of GM soybeans, corn, cotton, alfalfa, canola, and sugar beets, is losing market share. Its overuse has spawned a new generation of superweeds that can only be killed with super-toxic herbicides such as 2,4, D and paraquat. Moreover, patented “Roundup Ready” crops require massive amounts of climate destabilizing nitrate fertilizer. Compounding Monsanto’s damage to the environment and climate, rampant Roundup use is literally killing the soil, destroying essential soil microorganisms, degrading the living soil’s ability to capture and sequester CO2, and spreading deadly plant diseases.

In just one year, Monsanto has moved from being Forbes’ “Company of the Year” to the Worst Stock of the Year. The Biotech Bully of St. Louis has become one of the most hated corporations on Earth.

www.counterpunch.org...

There can be no such thing as "coexistence" with a reckless and monopolistic industry that harms human health, destroys biodiversity, damages the environment, tortures and poisons animals, destabilizes the climate, and economically devastates the world's 1.5 billion seed-saving small farmers.
url

But now Monsantos long reaching tentacles have just been given a back door pass to control the food on your table.

Grow your own food, for soon that will be the only food you will want to eat.

“If you control the food, you can control the people.” – Henry Kissinger

truthsquad.tv
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
IMO anytime there is "control" involved, it is to enable a person in power to get more power.

How do they get power?
Money is power.

How do they get money?
By jacking the prices up sky high.

A perfect example of how a few controlling elite power mongerers make the world suffer for their own selfish means.

I hate the government.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

They Senators and Representatives knew how unpopular this bill was so they kept shifting the name, bundling it with other legislation and then passed it on non recorded vote in (I forget if it was the house or Senate).

I wrote letter after letter to my Senators and Representatives and did not even receive a reply. Guess that shows they new it was going to get rammed through and did not want to respond.

One of these days the world is going to be so sick people are going to say "what happened???" and it will be to late! We have to act now to reverse this trend. GMO not only is harmful to our bodies, it cross pollinates with other seeds and destroys them... oh and then Monsanto comes in and takes away all your land and money because you are growing their seed... when you never planted it!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I am glad you posted this, Food Control is already starting in Walmart Stores. You have to buy this because they don't sell that. Like garlic in my local Walmart, and it has everything in the world in it but garlic. Also there were things put in this Food Bill that has nothing to do with food, yet it was passed right along with the bill. Like putting up a million dollars every week until Sept. 2013 for the capture of Osama bin Laden. The Senator from Nebraska put that in the bill. If 25 million is not going to get him why stock away all that money??? The man is dead.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

They want us to resign ourselves to GMO's controlled by Monsanto the biotech bullies while they
preach their doctrine of coexistence.

The Agriculture Department is dutifully drafting a comprehensive “coexistence policy” that supposedly will diffuse tensions between conventional (chemical but non-GMO), biotech, and organic farmers. Earlier this week industry and Administration officials met in Washington, D.C. to talk about coexistence. Even though the Organic Consumers Association tried to get into the meeting, we were told we weren’t welcome. The powers that be claim that the OCA doesn’t meet their criteria of being “stakeholders.”

www.counterpunch.org...

There can be no coexistence between Monsanto and nature!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolottie
I am glad you posted this, Food Control is already starting in Walmart Stores. You have to buy this because they don't sell that. Like garlic in my local Walmart, and it has everything in the world in it but garlic.

Let me understand, Walmart does not sell fresh garlic any longer?

Ummm...Garlic is an incredible herb/food a natural anitiotic antivirus superfood with amazing compounds!

Serioulsy?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

One betrayal on top of another, huh?

...I DO know that we're facing disease-causing microbes the like of which we've never seen before. And that the research thrust in bio-tech is "disease-resistance." But the suckers will just mutate, adapt and resurface. Then what? Yet another "disease-resistant" food strain? Talk about guaranteed profit. And really really bad logic.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

I knew that when they passed that bill on the holiday break they had something rotten planned.
Now I know why they did that!

They are busy as we speak crafting up a bill on "coexistence"

Which I am sure is an underhanded way to gain further inroads into the organic markets.

I guess after decades of destruction they have decided to restort to the old trick......
If you cant beat em' join em. Its so incredibly sick!

edit on 16-1-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
When this food bill was passed weeks ago, it was discussed the only reason it was passed was
to give the government a way to control how we would eat on a personal level.

I went to a dietitian about 2 weeks ago to see what they had to say about foods that heal diabetes. If one is just having blood sugar problems, it isn't difficult to control. Long story short....this dietitian basically saw nothing wrong with GMO'd food, nor did she have problems with corn sugar as a sweetener...she suggested most of my food consumed be raw veggies, and meats no larger than a "deck of cards"...when I told her I was using foods that leaned to more organic than produced and prepackaged....she looked at me and said, "you're not rich, start eating like everybody else, organics are just going to get too expensive. Besides, what's out there is good enough."

I told her I couldn't have all the additives that are in the pre packaged food...have a problem with the estrogen in soy, for one...her reply..."then I guess you'll just have to find cheap food to eat."

That, ladies and gentlemen is where every american that does not grow their own is headed...someone from the system telling them to FIND CHEAP FOOD....because we are not worth the "good stuff" in their eyes.

Needless to say the trip to the dietitian was truly nothing more than first hand information on how TPTB will continue to try to control us...until ALL of us stand up against their superfilous crap.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: eta for punctuation

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Your right about that, and in this case they way to get money and control is an inroad into the organic
farming industry because the poisioning of the earth they have committed has toxified the land so that crops wont grow without huge amounts of synthetics, stunted crops etc.

They see the grass is greener on the other side, and they want control of it now!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Pretty soon they will be raiding places that sell non gmo junk...

oh... wait... they already are!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Let us not forget the "terminator" seeds and supplanting of agricultural crops, throughout the world, with crops that forces the farmer to constantly replenish their seed stock only from Monsanto, and not from Mother Nature.

There ought to be a class-action lawsuit from every farmer on the face of the planet to strip Monsanto of such a hideous patent as those behind terminator seeds.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Yes, they are scared of truth in labeling.

They know that we know that they know truth in lableing would put them out of business.

In practical terms coexistence between GMOs and organics in the European Union, the largest agricultural market in the world, is a non-issue. Why? Because there are almost no GMO crops under cultivation, nor consumer food products on supermarket shelves, in the EU, period. And why is this? There are almost no GMOs in Europe, because under EU law, as demanded by consumers, all foods containing GMOs or GMO ingredients must be labeled. Consumers have the freedom to choose or not to consume GMOs, while farmers, food processors, and retailers have (at least legally) the right to lace foods with GMOs, as long as they are labeled. Of course consumers, for the most part, do not want to consume GM Frankenfoods. European farmers and food companies, even junk food purveyors like McDonald's and Wal-Mart, understand quite well the axiom expressed by the Monsanto executive at the beginning of this article: "If you put a label on genetically engineered food you might as well put a skull and crossbones on it."

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Terrifying.

Another reason to head towards sustenance farming.

I only wish Monsanto would go bankrupt and their twisted practices disappear off the face of the earth.

S+F

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Yes, they are scared of truth in labeling.

They know that we know that they know truth in lableing would put them out of business.

The scariest part of the whole bill to me is the implementation of Codex Alimentarius which is forced by the wording which says it shall comply with international treaties.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Its very scary!

Section 305 is entitled “BUILDING CAPACITY OF FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS WITH RESPECT TO FOOD SAFETY” and it gives the FDA authority to set up offices in foreign countries and then dictate the food safety plans of foreign governments. It says, specifically, on page 217 of the bill (www.gpo.gov...…):

SEC. 308. FOREIGN OFFICES OF THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION.
(a) IN GENERAL. – The Secretary shall establish offices of the Food and Drug Administration in foreign countries selected by the Secretary.

It then goes on to say:

(a) The Secretary shall, not later than 2 years of the date of enactment of this Act, develop a comprehensive plan to expand the technical, scientific, and regulatory food safety capacity of foreign governments, and their respective food industries, from which foods are exported to the United States.

www.naturalnews.com...
One of the scariest things we hear from them...

"Hi I am from The Government And I Am Here To Help"

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by coolottie

I am in the UK and was not at all surprised when I read that fresh garlic was not available in Walmart. Garlic has amazing antiseptic properties along with other beneficial healty nutrients. I am quite sure it will soon be impossible to purchase honey as honey is the most purest natural ingredient in the world, bacteria cannot live in honey. I am not making a voice for garlic or honey as such but just observing that what is a proven (natural) beneficial product is once again being taken from us. No doubt it will soon return to the shelves as a *new and improved* strain.....read into that adulterated, gm and of no nutritional benefit.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Ok I am officially depressed and outraged. I watched the documentary Food Inc. which I recommend if any of you haven't seen it, it was alarming, but this worse. Some really good posts on this thread guys, ATS at it's best. F&S.

edit on 16-1-2011 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
It is good to see that the general consensus is that Monsanto is bad. Not one good word for them. Monsanto helped write the food bill, Monsanto help control FDA, WHO and many others. Wikileaks show the pressure Monsanto uses to get its way. Monsanto is playing with fire with GMO, it cares more about profits and control than about the health of the population. Monsanto needs to be separated, it does not have the responsibility to perform self regulation in a sustainable and beneficial way due to the centralised conflicts of interest. Monsanto is like a big black hole that just sucks everything in and keeps getting bigger. Monsanto is dangerous and must be stopped. www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

<<   2  3 >>

join