It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1/17 noon MLK Day Rally: Free Bradley Manning/ From FBI to Quantico Prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

1/17 noon MLK Day Rally: Free Bradley Manning/ From FBI to Quantico Prison

www.democraticunderground.com

Invoking the spirit of Dr. Martin Luther King, peace and justice activists to descend on Quantico prison to protest torture of Bradley Manning

MLK Day plans call for noon demonstration at FBI headquarters in Washington followed by caravan to Quantico Marine Base

"Some of us who have already begun to break the silence of the night have found that the calling to speak is often a vocation of agony, but we must speak."
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
davidswanson.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Bradley Manning's health deteriorating in jail, supporters say (WL)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Nice to see the democratic engine working..
Information is flying round the internet about a protest in sympathy of the young Bradlely Manning (the infomation anaylsis accused of realising information to wikileaks.
He is being kept in isolated confiment and people are concerned about his health.
Personaly i think the man deserves a medal and i dont want to see him left to rot and forgoten in prison.
They should be going after the criminals that have been exposed.. not shooting the messenger....

kx

www.democraticunderground.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

So based on the article, James Earl Ray should be given a pardon posthumously since apparently we no longer look at personal actions and responsibility, and the term accountibility is used more as a punchline instead of its actual meaning?

Pvt. Manning broke the law, and should be held accountible for it, just as James Ray was. Hijacking MLK day to do this is disrespectful to his memory and his legacy and ignores the core concepts put forth in his speech

Dr. King preached about taking the high road, personal responsibility and owning your actions. Apparently people have either forgotten that part, or just ignored it all together.

.....But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline....

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

remember that huge gun rights march held in washington dc, as well as every us capital during the same day? of course you don't, because the media didn't cover it

it's likely the media won't cover this either

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

i disagree, this march to free Bradley Manning is a stand for the justice and freedoms that king valued and taught us

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

i disagree, this march to free Bradley Manning is a stand for the justice and freedoms that king valued and taught us

Which again ignored the key concept of Kins Speech, which again talked about personal responsibility and accountibility of ones actions. Holding a march to demand he be freed under the guise of MLK day trvializes the entire event, and hijacks his beliefs and twists into something its not.

King referred to Justice, so how can justice be immoral in the manning case when it has not even seen the inside of court room yet? Again if people are going to use MLK day as a reason to free manning, then they need to get behind a pardon for James Earl Ray based on the argument being made - that accountibility and personal responsibility for actions are irrelevant and shifts the blame to others.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

hello again....
i see a difference between James Earl Ray and bradley mannings. James murdered someone. bradley is exposing crime..
ok you might not see it as very partiotic, but the world is a smaller place these days and internation security is now more important than national security.
bradley released the files on two illegal wars and you think that should be a crime. do you enjoy the fact that your government lies to you.. gives you false information and sends young men to die in illegal wars half war across the world.
why have you got about governments lying to us in your profile pic.. if you think it is all hunky dooire....

kx

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

This is where your arguments fails. 2 Illegal wars? Afghanistan was legal and authorized by the UN. Wikileaks, the group you guys worship, released information that Iraq did indeed have an active WMD program up to the 2003 invasion.

I find it intresting that people choose to ignore that release, most likely because it uses wikileaks to destroy a key argument and support the Bush administrations actions.

It has nothing to do with Patriotism at all. There are legal remedies available to military staff to report criminal activity. Manning instead decided not to use those channels, and went so far as to release information that does not show any illegal activity or wrong doing.

MLK stood for justicce, freedom and persaonl responsibility and accountibility. People are using him in a distorted manner to paint a picture of manning. Manning has not even made it to court martial yet, yet everyone thinks they ahve all of the information because the internetz told us so.

When your paranoia interferes with a legitimate criminal investigation, there is a problem. You guys seem to think that because something appears morally correct, that it must be legal at all costs. You champion Manning without even having all of the information as to what he actually did, from releasing the classified info, to diplomatic relations, to exposing operations, methods and sources.

Its intresting to watch a group of people who denounce the government for lack of transparency, twisting facts in its favor all the while accusing them of being unethical and violating law, while completely ignoring the same for manning and his actions.

Sadly, by doing that, you have become exactly what you are railing against in reference to government actions.

As far as my profile picture, when ATS changed the requirements, part of it was cut off. The first part of it refered to Roswell and the UFO crash. Again though thank you for proving my point by taking a piece of information you thought you understood to make a statement, only to find out you didnt have all the information, and that your statement was indeed wrong.

The same will be true for Manning and Assange.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Afghanistan was legal and authorized by the UN. Wikileaks, the group you guys worship, released information that Iraq did indeed have an active WMD program up to the 2003 invasion.

sorry you are incorrect.....
Iraq having wmd does not make a war legal. ofcource they had wepons we sold wepons to them.That is well documented and does not make a war legal... and when a war is not legal it is in my eyes is plane murder...

UN chief Kofi Annan tells the BBC the Iraq war was illegal

As for afghanistan what makes you think the war was legal there..?

Bush, Jr. instead went to the United National Security Council to get a resolution authorizing the use of military force against Afghanistan and Al Qaeda. He failed. You have to remember that. This war has never been authorized by the United Nations Security Counci

www.mediamonitors.net...

and the reason it was not authorized....

The invasion of Afghanistan was not legitimate self-defense under article 51 of the charter because the attacks on Sept. 11 were criminal attacks, not "armed attacks" by another country. Afghanistan did not attack the United State

www.alternet.org...:_the_other_illegal_war/

I find it intresting that people choose to ignore that release, most likely because it uses wikileaks to destroy a key argument and support the Bush administrations actions.

wrong.. having wmds does not give the usa a right to invade...

There are legal remedies available to military staff to report criminal activity.

No!
The channels did not work as cited in the war cables...

MLK stood for justicce, freedom and persaonl responsibility and accountibility. People are using him in a distorted manner to paint a picture of manning. Manning has not even made it to court martial yet, yet everyone thinks they ahve all of the information because the internetz told us so.

That is a fair point.....

as for the rest of your post we will have to beg to differ..

kx

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

ok, we disagree about the resonance of MLK holiday along with such a polical stand as the Bradley Manning situation

how about if they held their stand on another date?

new topics

top topics

join