It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth slowing down? or am I being silly?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
now, i'm perfectly aware i may shoot myself in the foot with this thread, but i just have to give it a try, because it looks kinda weird to say the least... at least for me.

www.accuweather.com...

it's 4:39pm here, and it's still getting dark, few minutes ago it was actually far more like a day. sunset delayed by 20-30 minutes? WTF?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Scientists estimate that the Earth's rotation is slowing at the rate of 2.2 seconds every 100,000 years. The time it takes the Earth to complete one rotation increases 2.2 seconds every 100,000 years. This is a very conservative figure considering the number of adjustments our timekeepers have been forced to make in recent years. If we trace this phenomenon back in time, whatever the correct figure is, at one point in time it may have taken the Earth 12 hours to complete one rotation, (depending on its initial speed of rotation when it was created.) At that time the Earth was spinning at twice the speed it is traveling at the present time.

pages.prodigy.com...

That's what I know.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
A thread the other day was asserting quite the opposite if I'm not mistaken.
About the sun rising too days early in Greenland from its winter darkness period.

I will see if I can find it and add to this post.

I totally agree that the planet might be out of sync with the calendar system that we imposed on it, but isnt that really the fault of humans, for trying to impose the calendar system and then expect that it will always be perfect?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jedi_hamster

OK I will bite. You are talking about Length of day measurements and SURPRISE they do change.

I am not going to bother with cut and paste you can read it here Length of day correlated to cosmic rays and sunspots

Essentially we have a very quiet sun, the atmosphere has collapsed, the Solar Wind has changed and this changes the speed of the winds....

Enjoy the read

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
A thread the other day was asserting quite the opposite if I'm not mistaken.
About the sun rising too days early in Greenland from its winter darkness period.

I will see if I can find it and add to this post.

I totally agree that the planet might be out of sync with the calendar system that we imposed on it, but isnt that really the fault of humans, for trying to impose the calendar system and then expect that it will always be perfect?

the mayan calendar is still precise to this date..these things cannot not be predicted well ..that cannot be accepted..so IMO this is not happening..since if its happening then we are in serious trouble

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

This might be off topic, but did the Mayans figure in leap year?
Just asking.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
As promised here is just one of at least three threads in the past few days about the speeding up of the polar winter night :

ats thread

Is the earth slowing or speeding up?
It seems there are differing opinions.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
the earth is slowing down it has been for billions of years in fact when the dinosaurs were around the days were actually shorter because the earth rotated faster then, eventually the earth will stop rotating completely like what has already happened with our moon

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

So, 2 days ago, i was in bed. I looked at the clock, and i was like hrm, 7:00, dark as well...storm? So i get up, check 2 other clocks because it was unusually dark.

I then screamed in victory because the earth had finally fell out of orbit. not the case. But i did wake up my girlfriend and ask her why the sun was late... she said it probably wasn't taking its birth control...and went back to sleep

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Yes we have always been slowing down like a top when you spin it, it seems to rotate forever in the same spot once it slows down you get wobble then it eventually falls over. Seems a bit fatalistic but that's how I envision it. Is it in the final stages of the spin? Are we wobbling noticeably or will it just all of the sudden stop? People are noticing things with the sun and even the moon etc.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

OK I will bite. You are talking about Length of day measurements and SURPRISE they do change.

I am not going to bother with cut and paste you can read it here Length of day correlated to cosmic rays and sunspots

Essentially we have a very quiet sun, the atmosphere has collapsed, the Solar Wind has changed and this changes the speed of the winds....

Enjoy the read

interesting stuff, but either i don't understand what exactly does it mean (the scale of the implications), or it's just not justifying such a difference as i've mentioned.

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
As promised here is just one of at least three threads in the past few days about the speeding up of the polar winter night :

ats thread

Is the earth slowing or speeding up?
It seems there are differing opinions.

perhaps it's something different. sky isn't exactly perfectly clear here recently, so i can't see any large number of stars atm to check what's going on, but another thing that struck me earlier in this month was the impression that east... and by east i mean the direction where the sun is rising... has moved to the right. i know it's winter here and i know it sounds crazy, but i'm kinda sure it wasn't rising that far to the right - my windows point to the east. so perhaps it's about crust moving or rotation axis tilting? i'm perfectly aware that someone should already notice it and that it should be a well known fact, but still something inside tells me that change is coming, and that it has already begun. correct me if i'm wrong, but 20-30 minutes difference in case of a sunset isn't a small thing imho.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by heineken

This might be off topic, but did the Mayans figure in leap year?
Just asking.

Thank you or asking this. I was actually trying to figure out a way to ask a few day's ago when this question popped in my head.
Sorry I don't know the answer.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN) because: trying not to spam or divert someone's thread.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
the question is, why should they? relation between their calendar and ours is calculated by us (and some opinions differ in that matter - mayan calendar may well end in october, in this year). mayans didn't have a leap year, because they weren't using our calendar.

anyway, we're drifting offtopic here.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Yeah, I said to my wife today, "look babe the sun is setting more to the south west, when it was setting west west before". and she said, "oh yeah...!" wth os going on?
??? Am WE tripping, too ???
I'm not sure about the earth slowing down but I never noticed the sun setting off twards the south-ish before either.. lol
edit on 17-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: add

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
www2.nict.go.jp...
I've been watching the magnetosphere simulation and sometimes it looks pretty calm and sometimes it looks like a tangled twisted ball.
I just checked and it looks pretty calm just now. But earlier today it was so twisted it looked like the poles would flip. I heard about the sun arriving two days early in Greenland.

I've also heard that one day the Earth may completely stop for a whole day before the poles shift. If you are on the day side of the Earth, it could be very hot, and you need to be under the ground or at least inside that day.
On the night side it will be very cold and dark, and you will also need to be inside that day.

I have heard that if the Earth stops before a pole shift, you need to go inside either way, and do not let anyone into your home at all, because for some reason the veil between worlds will be thinnest. So you might get some sort of shape shifters or evil entity that wants you to let it in. So whatever you do, don't i nvite anything into your home during a pole shift!

I don't know if that last part is true, but I probably wouldn't let anyone in!
edit on 17-1-2011 by jessieg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

i'm familiar with the magnetic poles flip stuff, i know the magnetic field is getting weaker and that mass animal deaths may be related to it. what i'm trying to discuss here though is rather related to axis tilt/crust moving/earth changing the rotation direction - as far as i remember the stories, earth's crust is supposed to move while rotation axis will tilt - all that during slowing down rotation, down to zero - and then back up in another direction. i know it all sounds crazy and i'm not really trying to discuss those theories/predictions here, i just want to get facts straight.
edit on 17-1-2011 by jedi_hamster because: i don't need a reason.

new topics

top topics

join