It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pulse of a Black Hole System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Using two NASA X-ray satellites, astronomers have discovered what drives the "heartbeats" seen in the light from an unusual black hole system. These results give new insight into the ways that black holes can regulate their intake and severely curtail their growth.

Source

Image:

Very interesting, even though we are as infants just beginning to crawl.
Similar to the human heart...Heartbeat of our Galaxy.

Researchers monitored this system with Chandra and RXTE for over eight hours and saw that it pulses in X-ray light every 50 seconds. This type of rhythmic cycle resembles an electrocardiogram of a human heart, though at a slower pace. The inset to the upper left shows a Chandra image of the system, while the one to the lower right contains its "heartbeats." The main graphic shows the crowded field containing GRS 1915 in optical light. (Credit: X-ray: NASA/CXC/Harvard/J. Neilsen et al.; Optical: Palomar DSS2)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Thanks for the interesting post.

You will probably appreciate this website.
The Sound of Pulsars

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thank you for the link,I will definitely check it out.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

There is so much about everything in the universe that we don't know...even here on our own planet. I love reading stuff like this on ATS, keep it up.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

These results give new insight into the ways that black holes can regulate their intake and severely curtail their growth.

Oh my... they make it sound like a purposeful act... to regulate their intake... to curtail their growth!

And indeed, it looks for the world like an electrocardiogram!

Great find, OP

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

These results give new insight into the ways that black holes can regulate their intake and severely curtail their growth.

Oh my... they make it sound like a purposeful act... to regulate their intake... to curtail their growth!

And indeed, it looks for the world like an electrocardiogram!

Great find, OP

They are considering the Black Hole as a system, that auto-regulates, as stars do, as planets do, etc...
You have to remember that sometimes scientific language differs greatly from colloquial talk.

Very nice topic indeed. S & F.
edit on 16/1/2011 by drakus because: Added more characters to expand the amount of character

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Does this mean that Black Holes are living things that purposeful regulate their intake to curtail their growth?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Does this mean that Black Holes are living things that purposeful regulate their intake to curtail their growth?

Hmm I do wonder if it is safe to say that everything is pretty much "living" in it's own right and Black holes would not be an exception to this. The celestial bodies have their own way of "living" so I do feel that perhaps black holes are the same since they are pretty much 'feeding' to grow in size and sustain themselves. I say it's pretty safe to say they are perhaps
. Though that's just my own .02

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MystiqueAgent

I would personally,safely say that everything is alive in one way or another

join