It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking Damages DNA Within Minutes, Research Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Smoking Damages DNA Within Minutes, Research Shows

www.businessweek.com

SATURDAY, Jan. 15 (HealthDay News) -- Cigarettes start to destroy a smoker's DNA within minutes of inhaling, new research indicates, suggesting that the habit causes immediate genetic damage and quickly raises the short-term risk for cancer.

"The results reported here should serve as a stark warning to those who are considering starting to smoke cigarettes," lead study author Stephen S. Hecht, from the Masonic Cancer Center and department of pharmacology at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, said in a news release from the American Chemical Society.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, we all knew this was true, but here's scientific evidence of the dangers of smoking yet again.

I quit smoking about six months ago, and I've only had positive changes ever since. It's not the first time I quit, but with my health in poor shape, prices rising on everything including cigarettes, and more information like this coming out... I made the right choice.

www.businessweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I never touched the things to be honest. I'm quite proud

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
For sure tobacco, grown by the big tobacco company's with all their chemicals, destroy DNA. right after the first "puff". It isn't the nicotine that causes the problem....it is the chemicals in the processing of both the tobacco and the papers.

Used to smoke...quit, no problem. Thing is, there is tobacco out there that does not react with the body in the same way as "RJ Reynolds specials" I used to smoke pure tobacco, no preservatives, no additives, no chemicals, and organically grown. You roll then yourself, you control the amount of tobacco, and the papers are made from natural bleached flax...no chemicals.

If someone chooses to smoke, take responsibility for what ya smoke...hehe...i mean tobacco.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Please refer to the ongoing original discussion found here. Thank you.

This thread is now closed.

edit on 16-1-2011 by PoorFool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PoorFool

ummm.... no it's not. Did i miss something?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

smoke nazis never sleep.

You can eat right & work out every day of your life...you're still going to die.

Might as well enjoy your stay while you're here.

If you want to smoke, i say go for it. Leave people alone. Worry about your own damned life

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Could cigarette smoke be a likely precursor to other cancers than just lung cancer? Breast, prostate, brain, etc.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I can't say I've heard about anything like that. I believe cancer has a higher likelihood of occuring in areas that become coated with carcinogenic compounds that may not reach other areas of the body.

I've been a smoker for about 7 years now. I've tried quitting but it's very difficult.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Yeah, I know how bad smoking is; of course it is. The hotshot lawyers make the most off tobacco. Tell me and explain to me my 74 yr old mom who has been smoking since she was 15; why is she still kicking? Or my 78 yr old grandma on my hubbys side who smoked to the end; didin't kill her Do you think there are monies to be made off of so called "tobacco victims? Some of us live L-o-n-g productive lives and it isnt the smokes that kill us. Please explain this discrepancy....would appreciate. I think when our time is up, it's up. Simple.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Yeah, my grandpa was a smoker, now is 90, and he --- survived --- two tumors.
My other grandpa wasn't a smoker and died at 59...

What about the most longeve woman who was a smoker and loved chocolate...

edit on 16-1-2011 by Zagari because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join