It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunters: Why do you hunt?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Burgo
So long as the "Hunt" is humane & the meat is eaten then I have no issues but those that kill for fun deserve no respect or empathy.
Canned hunting & trapping is for weak little bastards with no morals ...
But eh I do support the A.L.F.....

People fish for fun.

Isn't that killing for fun?

So a Jackhammer to the forehead in a slaughter house is better?

Humans are carnivores - - - whether anyone wants to admit it or not. That is why we have canine teeth.

Meat in a supermarket - - - is because someone killed an animal.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frogs
Are you sure you really want to know why people hunt? Your wording in the part I quoted leads me to believe your mind may already be made up.

edit on 15-1-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

Well, my mind was made up long ago about me wanting to hunt for the hell of it, but, I don't criticise other hunters whom I deem "alright" in their view.

Like, actual sportsmen whom hunt for food, keep the pelt and make functional things out of it, even try to find uses for their bones is fine..but a person whom just hunts things to stuff is sort of like one step away from being a serial killer.

I also am genuinely curious what it feels like to kill a mammal purposefully. I once helped my sickly dog deliver a litter of pups. One of em was born deformed and so I had to put it down, and that was not a pleasent experience. All I could do is as quickly as possible lop its head off...This was 20 years ago and the memory still sticks with me, even though I know it was the necessary thing to do.

Your right also, cattle, pigs, and chicken have a rough life. I purposefully tune out that and make up invalid justifications. I am a hypocrite, but meat is just too damn tasty to swear off until there is a perfect substitute (one reason I am a "transhumanist" is because I look forward to the day we can simply grow synthetic meat that is just as tasty as the real thing..so I no longer have to think of a cattle dying just so I can have a cheeseburger when beans would do just as well nutritionally).

I really am not trying to cast stones here...yes, I deem it for me to be a twisted practice should I personally ever start hunting for sport and fun. (thats why God invented video games imo)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SlyingFaucers

To clarify I'm saying that because of the advantage we have I see no challenge in it, no thrill, nothing that exceeds the pleasure of seeing the animal alive so I myself am not enticed to do it.

I hear hunters say that they do it for the challenge thrill but I don't get that. Depite trying to understand it I don't see how this can be when there is such a mismatch. A point in case is that I own a very good thermal imager. It is particularly good at pointing out animals hidden in the bush. Whenever I show it to a sport hunter they invariably say "wow, I would love to have one of those for hunting!" as if getting the opportunity to just pull the trigger on something is all they are after and doing it under challenging circumstances has nothing to do with it. I'm thinking to myself that if a rifle, scope, scent, electronic call, and tons of available modern animal behavior knowledge isn't enough and they want to bring in high high tech military gear too, then they really have so little skill, and knowledge of nature that they shouldn't be out there anyway. But like I said I don't understand their point of view.

Anyway, I see no challenge in it because of our competitive advantage so its no fun for me, thus I don't do it.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I hunt because i love being part of nature, the way man is suppose to be, the way he was made.
when i get within inches of my prospective harvest, its the most alive you will ever feel, everything happening all at once, and all the emotions flying in every direction, then success, or failure. it feeds our spirit and makes us MAN

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Let's consider a SHTF scenario. How do you survive?

Do you try to walk up to a deer and try to kill it with your bear hands to make the situation fair? Does a poisonous snake remove their poison before they strike a mouse to make it fair?

I do see your point and sometimes i play devils advocate all too well, but what issue do you see with someone who kills a pheasant and then eats that meat instead of going to the store and buying a purdue chicken?

SlyF

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

I'm not convinced that having to kill in order to feel alive is a particularly healthy thing.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
if you can't hunt its because you have been brainwashed into thinking animals are people.

Animals are animals..humans are animals also. I have issues with hunting mammals..and I think mostly just from not wanting to watch it die. I have no kinship with fish..perhaps because they can't scream in any recognisable fashion.
Its not brainwashing in my opinion, my entire family and friends are hunters. Almost everyone I am friends with are hunters or wannabe hunters, and the few people that are very anti-hunting are also coincidently people I find annoying to be around anyhow.

I had to kill mammals in the past, it hit my core being as something very disturbing to do. I can't get past that hurdle to see the perspective of people whom find a thrill in watching a mammal die.

if you look at an animal as food then its easy to pull the trigger and mouth-watering waiting for the turkey to be deep fried or the pheasant to be barbequed.

A turkey, yes...I like birds, but they are not mammals. They are tasty. I think the geese example given earlier would make me swear off geese however, and anything "pretty" simply for astetic tastes...cant kill a beautiful parrot unless your starving kind of thing.

hunting for sport is a different matter. stalking grizzly and finding a trophy that is the most massive and king of his territory and taking him down is a high that can't be beat.

Ya, see...therein lies my issue. Actually, humans are the king of his territory, so why not kill a human? They have intellect to counter you..I imagine that would be thrilling also.

you'll solidify your status as the top of the food chain and the most dominant living creature on the planet.

The dominant aspect came from being omnivores actually, not requiring meat to survive, or requiring plants either for that matter. What seperates us from lions and bears is simple...we have a larger brain, able to find food in almost any form. I personally don't see how dropping a bear somehow makes me more or less of the Dominant species in the same way I don't see how punching a person makes me clever.

taking anything less than the top, top predator of an area is kind of a cheap thrill.

And humans are the top predator. eyes in front, anything we choose to die, dies. So, by your statement, killing a lion-bear with wings and breaths fire is still second best to the true predator challenge.

you shouldn't also have to justify why you hunt and make excuses like it's cheaper than buying at the grocery.

I like the honesty. Thank you. I do actually understand the mindset of the hunter, just feel none of what you feel overall..not saying what you feel is invalid, just I find it alien to my thinking in regards to watching something die.

hunting is noble and pure and has been part of mankinds heritage since the beginning of history. it is a gift from God to witness and experience the beauty of His creation, the power and awe in nature and the creatures that inhabit it.

more people should take advantage of this gift, it will help you get closer to God and know what it is to be man.
edit on 15-1-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

God?
erm...so you see ending life as something divine...does it make you feel closer to a deity, or does it make you feel like a deity?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Like I said in my first post I carry survival hunting gear. I am an excellent marksman, have extensive live trapping skills (from working with an animal rescue facility) and I'm an expert tracker. I will hunt if it comes down to survival but there is no pleasure in it and in fact it is quite painful for me.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The situation i proposed has called into question a you or nature situation.

My point is, by existence you will use your instincts as well as characteristics as a human to survive (sight, smell, etc) and I would imagine given the ability to create and use tools (anything, ex. rifle), you would.

SlyF

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I havnt been hunting in a long time. We used to hunt bird, and I have been deer hunting a time or two.

I did it for many of the same reasons listed before, so I will only go on about why I think its important
To Hunt

I think it is a vital skill that one should possess. I think that it bonds young who learn with the elder who knows. I also beleive that if you do not forget how to hunt, in a situation you could survive. Same with fishing. I hunted for deer with a bow, I found it more "sporting" as I needed better skills to be used with available weapons and more fair chance for the deer (im not a great shot with a bow however I did great in sniper school)

I am Pro- Hunt, Pro-Gun, Pro-Learn.

I would like to also state that I Do NOT condone usless killing of animals. If you are going to kill it, you are going to eat it, do not allow it to waste for then it was in vane...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Sorry, can you clear that last one up a bit,? I'm not understanding the post.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I think I understand what you are asking now. I think we are talking about to different things. I have been talking about sport hunting, killing for unnecessary reasons. But you are asking me about hunting for survival. In that case I would use any means available and preferably the most humane way available.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I do not hunt but I can slaughter an animal, it is something that I did not have a choice in since the time I was a child. I chose not to be on the end of the gun but rather the end of the knife. I pray over my living friends and as they are leaving this existence I am holding them and talking to them with comforting words.

There is nothing sinister, nothing evil about this process because there is no fear involved. The animal is unaware until the moment a small amount of pain reaches them and they quickly lose consciousness. I am part of their lives and I am part of their death, they are not dispatched without Love. There is not a single animal that I have dispatched that I do not remember, each of them were important and each of them are with me until I reach them in my own death.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I think my refresh button was a little broke. I see you answered my last question before i asked it.

SlyF

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
i dont hunt as much as i used to but aside from pheasant and duck hunting, i am primarily a bowhunter. i find it very peaceful to sit in a tree stand and feel nature all around me, to become part of it. it is very relaxing and gives me plenty time of think things through. most of the time i dont even care if i harvest a deer or turkey. the success in the hunt is in clearing my mind. it is nice to know i can feed myself if it ever comes to that though. there is nothing like having a deer 10-15 years from you and not know you are there though!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I guess I should explain that I have no problem with the use of the technology. I just don't understand the reason why it would be exiting to do so for sport since it removes any challenge.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by celticgladiator

Why don't you carry a video camera instead of a bow then. Not being snarky, just providing an idea. I am always amazed by peoples footage of animals that almost have their nose in the camera and don't know the person is there.

edit on 16-1-2011 by dainoyfb because: for typo

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Haha, I was waiting for the sport vs survival distinction on technology use.

No one hunts anymore out of necessity. The hunted animal will serve as a replacement to an otherwise undetermined meal picked up from the grocery store. I see that as justifiable.

SlyF

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

As for the Bacon Ice cream they make that! My husband hunts for food only. We eat everything he kills. I love venison its good for you and lean on fat. Makes great tacos and roasts and the back straps and tenderloins are the best part. We process all of the meat ourselves we get 100s of pounds of meat for less than a buck a pound. The license for hunting is cheap. The bullets are cheap and you only need a few days of sitting in the cold to get one if you are in a good hunting location like we are. We make breakfast sausage and smoke our own meat too out of it. There are a lot of good reasons to hunt but our main reason is for food only and not the sport of it. We can eat 1 year for every deer we get.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Here is a link for making your own Bacon Ice Cream!
Bacon Ice Cream Recipe

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join