It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Philippines To Withdraw Troops From Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Just out on the AP wire according to BBC News is that the Philippines have just announced that they will be withdrawing their troops from Iraq to protect the lives of Philippino hostages held there.

Though the Philippines military contingent is small (only 51) this is still a set back for the coalition which relies on the token imput from smaller nations to give it an international perception.

The Philippines contigent had been due to withdraw anyway but it was hoped that their tour of duty would be extended.

I finally got confirmation on this story.

As Manila continued Saturday to negotiate the release of a Filipino trucker kidnapped in Baghdad, the Philippines announced that its 50 troops in Iraq will leave as scheduled next month.

edition.cnn.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

A bit of background.

The Philippines, with only 51 troops in Iraq, make up a tiny fraction of the Multinational Force. But the more than 4,000 Filipino civilians work as contractors for the U.S. military, serving food, cleaning toilets and forming the backbone of the support staff for U.S. troops.

President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on Thursday ordered Filipino contract workers not to travel to Iraq, but made no immediate decision on a demand by militants that she withdraw troops within three days or they would kill a Filipino they had taken hostage.

The Filipino was shown on a video broadcast Wednesday by Al-Jazeera. Three armed and masked men � calling themselves the Iraqi Islamic Army-Khaled bin al-Waleed Corps � stood behind the seated hostage. It did not give any details of his capture, but the group claimed to have killed an Iraqi guarding him.

The small military contingent's deployment was scheduled to end later this month, and Manila has been considering whether to extend their tour of duty.
www.usatoday.com...

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 10-7-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 11-7-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Wow! Who is in charge of the Philippine government?

First the President appeared ready to meet the terrorists' demands. Then the Vice-President says the government will not give in. Just hours ago, it was reported the National Security Adviser, Norberto Gonzales, had confirmed that the Philippines would not give in to the terrorist demands and withdraw its tiny humanitarian force from Iraq.

Now they change their mind, again. Are they withdrawing according the previously established timeline or are they leaving according to the terrorists' timeline?

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Do you think eventually America and U.K will acutally have to send more troops? If countries are going to be willing to pull out, Spain is , and the Iragi government doesn't organise enough of a force of terrorists, then who is going to have to sort it out?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:24 AM
link   
It almost seems inevitable. Already, loud denials about "reactivating the draft" are appearing in the US media. They�re probably just trial balloons to gauge the reaction of the populace, to the mention of conscripting of America's youth.

There is also a lively debate regarding the proper use of Reserve and National Guard assets. Again, could be preparatory arguments for a renewed draft.

MILITARY DEVELOPMENTS BODE ILL FOR OUR FUTURE SECURITY

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
A Filipino driver held hostage issued a "final appeal" to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo to withdraw troops from Iraq before a deadline for his execution, Arabic television station Al Jazeera said Saturday.

Filipino Hostage in Video Appeal for Troop Pullout

The hostage warns other Filipino workers not travel to Iraq, and he makes a final appeal to the President of the Philippines for withdrawl of that country's troops.

[edit on 10-7-2004 by BOHICA]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I'm starting to worry that I haven't got this story right as I can't find it anywhere yet.That said I know what I saw and heard.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well the latest i am hearing is that he has not been set free yet?

Heres a link

link

The kidnappers of a Filipino lorry driver have denied he has been set free.

Their statement came soon after the Philippines government insisted Angelo dela Cruz had been released.

But The Islamic Army of Iraq - Khalid bin al Waleed Brigade denied the release and said the captive would be beheaded unless the Philippines government pulled out of Iraq by July 20.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
They are actually smart! Bush is just scared he will loose his oil reserves. He'd rather have people killed.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
No offense, but 51 troops was a token presence of soldiarity. This will have zero effect on our ability to maintain order. It may be a psychologiaca factor, but not too terrible a one.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Good for them, they should not have been there in the first place, but no matter, lessons have been learnt.

Deep

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I put this up on atsnn as soon as I heard about it the outher day

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I can't believe the filipino's are pandering to al-qaeda's whim.

Somehow I think they were just looking for an excuse to get out.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
cowards. this is what would happen if kerry wins. every country in the world is bending to these terrorist douche bags faster than the french did to the germans. everyone is becomming a bunch of pussies.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I told you tjhis would happen!

They'll be back in a few weeks, dont worry.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Well, they won't be leaving any sooner than originally scheduled, so we can say that they didn't cave in to the demand to leave earlier. This from the Atlanta Journal Constitution (subscription, but free):

By PAUL ALEXANDER
Associated Press Writer

MANILA, Philippines (AP)--The Philippines will not withdraw its troops from Iraq sooner than their scheduled Aug. 20 departure as demanded by militants threatening to behead their Filipino hostage, the foreign secretary said Sunday.

Insurgents who snatched Angelo dela Cruz on Wednesday near the Iraqi city of Fallujah gave Manila until Sunday night to agree to withdraw its 51 peacekeepers by July 20.

``In line with our commitment to the free people of Iraq, we reiterate our plan to return our humanitarian contingent as scheduled Aug. 20,'' Foreign Secretary Delia Albert said after a nearly four-hour emergency Cabinet meeting.

``We continue to do everything we can in order to secure the release of Angelo de la Cruz. We continue to work both through formal and informal channels toward this end. We are hopeful that with the continued support and prayers of the people, we will hurdle this crisis.''

Just say no
A small victory for the coalition, but a victory just the same.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Token support so that the US initiative appears international is not worth even ONE death.

[edit on 11-7-2004 by cargo]

top topics

join