It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
The kidnappers of a Filipino lorry driver have denied he has been set free.
Their statement came soon after the Philippines government insisted Angelo dela Cruz had been released.
But The Islamic Army of Iraq - Khalid bin al Waleed Brigade denied the release and said the captive would be beheaded unless the Philippines government pulled out of Iraq by July 20.
By PAUL ALEXANDER
Associated Press Writer
MANILA, Philippines (AP)--The Philippines will not withdraw its troops from Iraq sooner than their scheduled Aug. 20 departure as demanded by militants threatening to behead their Filipino hostage, the foreign secretary said Sunday.
Insurgents who snatched Angelo dela Cruz on Wednesday near the Iraqi city of Fallujah gave Manila until Sunday night to agree to withdraw its 51 peacekeepers by July 20.
``In line with our commitment to the free people of Iraq, we reiterate our plan to return our humanitarian contingent as scheduled Aug. 20,'' Foreign Secretary Delia Albert said after a nearly four-hour emergency Cabinet meeting.
``We continue to do everything we can in order to secure the release of Angelo de la Cruz. We continue to work both through formal and informal channels toward this end. We are hopeful that with the continued support and prayers of the people, we will hurdle this crisis.''