It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frayser High School has a problem…20% of the girls are pregnant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

ebonymompolitics.wordpress.com

20% of the girls at Frayser High School in Memphis, TN are pregnant. This reporter attempts to get answers from this mother, but she does not seem to have any answers. The reporter suggest some kind of pregnancy pact, but that would imply some kind of plan. Do you really think these girls are planning anything? What can be done about this? The girl suggest some kind of class might help, but can that really stop teen pregnancy? Do shows like MTV Teen Mom glamorize teen pregnancy?
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15/1/11 by argentus because: fix broken link

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
What happened to the day that a boy and a girl wasn't allowed to be alone together in a room? Here's your answer. Parents stopped being parents. Parents have become lazy and let their children raise themselves and hope for the best. A parent shouldn't let the raging hormones of a teenager run rampant without knowing where their children are, who they are with, and what they are doing no more than they should let a curious child put a paper clip in a light socket or play with a gun. All scenarios have real consequences.

ebonymompolitics.wordpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15/1/11 by argentus because: fix broken link

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by joyride0187

Do shows like MTV Teen Mom glamorize teen pregnancy?

dont the toys and games and movies and magazines do the same?
parents of these kids probably did the same, and now the youth of the 16 yo mom is walking moms footsteps it looks. its sad, but there for all to see
edit on 15-1-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: weird, quote looks right in preview

edit on 15-1-2011 by GenerationXisMarching because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

Bleurgh. The human race gets more and more delightful with every passing day.

I'd suggest some sort of mandatory contraception plan, but a) that's a little bit Brave New World and b) It's a lot more important to stop people fooling around all over the place before they're old enough to leave home.

Anyone else think we should bring back chaperones? It would cut unemployment.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It's really a product of society today. People are working harder, earning less, and paying more. These days in most cases it takes income from both parents in order to even survive. As a result kids see far less of their parents and thus less time monitoring their behavior and properly bring their children up. Most parents are far less hands on these days due to that or just flat out being a lazy parent. There's no discipline anymore because people are scared to actually discipline their children in fear of DCF breaking down the door and taking their kids. It's the same reason why there's an uprise of kids being disrespectful and assaulting parents and elders.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Well it's very easy to sneak a girl or vice versa a boy into one's rooms when you have both parents out at work and school letting out around 3:00. If they don't have any after school activities then it would be very easy for them to have at least a two hour block of time home alone [given that they don't have any siblings]. Though to say parents are the only culprit is certainly not true. We also have media to blame and is actually a conjoined effort in my eyes, in where we have sex and even the sexual acts themselves labeled as "glamorous".

To those under the age of 18 and between 10 this is more than likely stimulating that primal urge in the youngsters. With the already ragging hormones it is very easy to overlook all the possible negative aspects of starting early. We've all been young we know what it's been like, but now it seems to be hitting them more so than what we went through. Though I grew up a bit in the 90s and beginning of '00s so I can't really speak for much.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
More kids the taxpayer will have to support. Having said that....wonder how many of the kids having kids are kids of single women in households that are already funded by the taxpayer?

I see it in my town, more money provided for each kid they have...free food, housing, etc. And I don't want to hear that crap about "they can't help it"...it is called personal responsibility.

Yes, personal responsiblity which I learned from a family that had good work ethics and yes practiced personal responsibility. When I was 18 years old I kept my legs together, worked at a low paying job for years, kept working and changed jobs a couple of times...and was able to finally support having a child in my house.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
The answer to teen pregnancy is already here, and has been available for over 150 years. Its remarkably simple, cheap, and available at your local 7-11.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Here is a picture of Frayser High - They LOOK just like any other group of kids don't they? I mean what could it possibly be that would make this school different? Why would this school have such a high out of wedlock pregnancy rate? Why this could just be any old school anywhere in the United States couldn't it. I mean these children could be the same kids you went to school with when you were a kid back in Mayberry. Kids like Mary or Susan and that one could be your old pal Steven standing in the back before he went off to medical school. I just can't for the life of me seem to figure out what makes this particular school different?

I think it must be some failure of society as a whole that all of our children are doing this.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e92f869024fa.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 15-1-2011 by EssenSieMich because: add

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The problem is not in tv, magazines, parents etc. It's because they're idiots. Trust me, there are huge load of 16 year olds who have never heard of a condom. But it's not their fault. It's because no one is teaching them and most of the time, people are even hiding it. That's making sex look like some huge secret, so obviously they wanna have it. Sadly, many times without studying it at all. Which is leading to teenage pregnancies. Supressing it won't remove the problem, it would make it even worse. What should be done is that the whole society should be much more open about sex. If it's no big deal, most have no reason to rush with it at all. Sure there's a lot of "sex" on tv, but overall everyone is making it look like some forbidden apple. What kind of a teenager wouldn't want that apple? It's human nature. I think it's really sad how most of the adults have already forgotten the mindset of a teenager. Things like this has been happening for decades. It happened in your youth too. Don't even try to say it didn't, just because you might not have done it. Back then kids were overall much smarter and had more sense of responsibility and they knew how to avoid getting pregnant. But they had sex. A lot.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
License to drive - Check
License to Sell Real Estate - Check
License to Carry a Gun - Check
License to Practice Law - Check
License to Practice Medicine - Check
License to Sell Milk to People - Check
License to etc. - Check

In all cases it may not be called a license per sey but there are so many things we do that are regulated, governed, directed, inspected or allowed to do only at the pleasure of the government. Yet…..

License to procreate - nope have at it, young, old, poor, stupid, even the mentally ill… (More on that latter.)

I'd wager the licensing of the former things (while important) to protect Americans from each other and undue harm or burden would never equal up to the absurd burden the lack of license to procreate has cost us over the years in pain, suffering (of the inocent children and the taxpayer) and in tax welfare money.

Hmmm, that does sound a little like Nazi eugenics there doesn't it?

Here’s where it gets really scary; there is a couple in our area (in their late 50’s) that have custody of not one but two, of their grandchildren who are - get this, the children of their daughter who is literally mentally retarded and her equally mentally retarded “husband”.

Yep they are married and everything – they are being “mainstreamed” I guess. They (the parents) evidently live in some kind of assisted living home in the next county over that the taxpayers probably pay for – the couple in question had their daughter sterilized after the second kid.

Why did they wait till after the second kid? They had to petition the court for the order do it since she is a ward of the state and in the time it took after the first one was born she got pregnant again. Abortion, evidently some religious choice for them?

Those poor grandkids are messed up genetically too, one obviously has downs and the other has a feeding tube, and all sorts of other medical issues.

Guess who pays for their medical care – the taxpayers that’s who; all Medicaide.

Of note is also that the couple in question is in their late 50’s and the grandkids are under both under 5.

Who will take care of these kid’s for the rest of their life – we will, the tax payers.

So while it may seem perhaps Nazi-esque or some Orwellian nightmare state program how long must we (Joe Citizen) suffer the burden of paying for these children and others like them?

Perhaps it’s not a totally bad idea the Chinese have; perhaps a simple age, means and stability threshold for a license for procreation.

I'd vote for that!

Did that story not scare you? If not listening to the intellectual dynamo who was the subject of the initial video should - no business having a kid for both age reasons and evident stupidity.

What kind of life is that poor little girl (the baby) going to have? I don’t know she may well be the second Barrack Obama for all I know; one thing I do know is that our taxes are going to pay for her medical care and a lot more in the future.

What else can we do?

I say If one does not pass income/stability/competency checks - automatic and forced abortion.

This has to be way cheaper than welfare for life for most of these unplanned and unwanted kids.

Perhaps even more humane in the long run; think of all the pain and suffering we'd save the children of the poor and stupid.

No living in the ghetto, no hard life, no ending up on drugs and having the cycle repeat itself over and over...

That humane intevrention along with our saved tax dollars, no WIC, no "head start" (which is like free babysitting basically) no Medicaid births etc... That savings would way more than pay for the mandatory Norplant and/or abortions.

I'd even go so far as to say if one serially abuses the abortion clause have forced sterilization for both the male and the female involved - just to be fair.

We cannot afford to continue down this road!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I'm curious.

Are people really blaming society for kids having sex?

Here's something: It's natural. There's a reason why they want sex, and that's because it's what they naturally want to do.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Back in the 1960's, the rather high illegitimacy rate among black Americans was reported as a 'crisis'. The white illegitimacy rate is NOW what the black illegitimacy rate was THEN. Of course, for blacks it has only increased dramatically. If you want to know what ALL of America will look like in the future, just look at the inner cities. It's all downhill from here.

Edit:

Just had to add, it's amazing how many people have the naive mentality that birth control is 100% effective. Birth control does not automatically equal no chance of pregnancy. Most girls at my high school that got pregnant WERE on birth control. Same for many other women. I think it's best to teach personal responsibility and that if you're not willing to have a child, then don't have sex.
edit on 15-1-2011 by HarmonicNights because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
I'm curious.

Are people really blaming society for kids having sex?

Here's something: It's natural. There's a reason why they want sex, and that's because it's what they naturally want to do.

I blame it partially on the media. Have you ever read one of those 'teen mags' for girls? They're packed full of sex chat and that does put pressure on young girls to 'put out'. Also, the music scene is highly sexualised yet aimed at very young kids. I also blame it on the parents. The very least they could do is ensure protection and advice is available.

Yes, its natural but there are certainly 'un-natural' influences to consider.

Peace
edit on 15-1-2011 by Beyond Creation because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
with tv shows like, 16 and pregnant. do you blame them????

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I blame the times...the lack of money and jobs that would keep these kids doing something else...Lets face it kids are going to have sex...baby's bring hope...Its a sad time we are living in, and I'd hate to bring a new human into this world(but I have had my children and I am to old now)...but for children that have little hope of going on to college it brings some responsibility, something to live for...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Agreed with an above poster who mentioned they're idiots. Obviously, they are. I'm curious to see the social economic status of the community. Intelligence generally correlates with SES, which correlates inversely with fertility rates. If they would like to have sex at a young age, use contraceptives, else make sure you're economically capable of raising the children without being dependent on the state.

According to this site 95% of the students are eligible for free lunches...yep, it's in the ghetto. Go figure.
School Review

edit on 15-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Trust me, there are huge load of 16 year olds who have never heard of a condom.
reply to post by mamelukkikala

I'm sorry but that is a blatant lie, unless that "huge load" of 16 year old's you are referring to is the mentally disabled population. Every single person over the age of 10 knows what a condom is. The students at this high school simply do not care, that's what the problem is. There is honestly no other reason that they wouldn't use a condom/birth control.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
WHY DO PEOPLE ALWAYS LOOK AT THE NUMBERS AND CALL IT A PACT. its like this teens will be teens its not not a southern thing, its not a northern thing , its not a country thing. its not a ghetto thing. its a hormone gone wild thing. when i was living in wisconsin when i was 12 all the guys in my grade spent every waking minute trying to figure out how to get the girls in school alone so they could get a piece of tail. it might of been because all 15 of the twevle year old girls had double ds . luckily the 3 i got together with i didn't get pregnant . but seriously teen pregnancy happens in EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD. the developed world just is so anal we take statistics on every little thing

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Pure ignorance in your post.

The problem isn't necessarily that teenagers are being promiscuous, rather that they are not using the correct preventative practices. Stupid people tend to not use birth control, condoms, or have the wisdom to pull out. This is a fact.
edit on 16-1-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join