It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia launches arms race with new intercontinental ballistic missile.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

www.te legraph.co.uk

Russia is developing a replacement for the world's most devastating intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in a move that risks reviving a global nuclear arms race.

The commander of Russia's Strategic Rocket Forces recently told reporters that the destructive power of just one SS-18 Satan missile was up to 500 times greater than that of the atomic bombs America used against Japan in 1945.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.examiner.com

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Ok, so Russia decide to make something more powerful than the SS-18 AFTER negotiating START with the United States... something smells fishy and quite worrying for the US, especially when their GIB's don't work!!

"
Unfortunately, according to defense experts, the GBI is the only long-range missile the U.S. possesses. And this latest test is the third major failure in two years and the first test firing conducted in January 2010 also failed to take out its target."

Bassically the US are are rather unprotected right now from ICBM's and i think the world knows it, maybe that is why China are making all its new toys and Russia just happens to be investing in its new ICBM....

www.te legraph.co.uk

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Im just gonna throw it out there..Indeed it is unsettling that former enemies are creating weapons like this...but aren't we doing the same? Maybe we're just keeping it secret...which is probably the smarter thing to do than brag to the world about it...

Is there another Cold War over the horizon??

Its starting to feel rather chilly...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
IT's gonna be hard to beat to the MIRV-Trident Missiles.
I can honestly say I feel safer in Canada knowing U.S is surrounded with subs carrying these bad-boys!

"THE PEACE-KEEPER MISSILE". LOL. They should just shine these lights, without a missile moments behind it, on militant camps in the Congo, Iraq and Pakistan just to say "Hey, we got you in our sights. For sure".

edit on 15-1-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xanaoded
Im just gonna throw it out there..Indeed it is unsettling that former enemies are creating weapons like this...but aren't we doing the same? Maybe we're just keeping it secret...which is probably the smarter thing to do than brag to the world about it...

Is there another Cold War over the horizon??

Its starting to feel rather chilly...

That's right. This whole article is extremely biased. It fails to mention that the US dropped out of a few nuclear treaties, especially the anti-ballistic missile shield treaty which proves they want a preemptive edge. It also fails to mention that the US has been testing nuclear weapons underground (which is the only legal way to test a nuke now, but is controversial).

As for this missile, it is just an example of Russian superiority in the field of ICBM technology. During the early 2000s, they declared that they were developing a new type of nuclear weapon designed to create as much destruction possible compressed into MIRV warheads, the opposite direction of the US plan to develop smaller, penetration nukes.

As for American ICBMs, they really only have the Minuteman-III from what I've observed. Russia has more than a handful, including the Satan and Topol (and Topol-M). Russia also has the edge in SLBMs. The US seems to have a lot of cruise missiles armed with nukes though.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
IT's gonna be hard to beat to the MIRV-Trident Missiles.
I can honestly say I feel safer in Canada knowing U.S is surrounded with subs carrying these bad-boys!

"THE PEACE-KEEPER MISSILE". LOL. They should just shine these lights, without a missile moments behind it, on militant camps in the Congo, Iraq and Pakistan just to say "Hey, we got you in our sights. For sure".

edit on 15-1-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

Tridents are pretty suped up and can carry 12 MIRVs each.

But Russian Topols and Bulavas can carry the same, plus they have a lot more countermeasures and can change flight paths too.

The Peacekeeper missiles are decommissioned.

PS: Those aren't lights, those are MIRVs returning to Earth (in this case, they had no payload). If you see those for real, then it's game over.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
So that's why they haven't ratified START yet sneaky Russian's never trust them they are always on the Vodka or as they say Wadka. This really doesn't surprise me and make no mistake despite saying otherwise so are we. Most of these treaties are nothing more then foil over a bun, the bun is still there the foil just covers it a bit. Russia right now is in the midst of a struggle with the old and new, much like us. And to me it seems this is a move of the old guard trying to hold on to their power in Russia.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The news article clearly states they are developing a replacement to their Satan ICBM, which is new and so far un-named.
edit on 15-1-2011 by EricLintScD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricLintScD

www.te legraph.co.uk

Russia is developing a replacement for the world's most devastating intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) in a move that risks reviving a global nuclear arms race.

The commander of Russia's Strategic Rocket Forces recently told reporters that the destructive power of just one SS-18 Satan missile was up to 500 times greater than that of the atomic bombs America used against Japan in 1945.

Related News Links:
www.examiner.com

So, you're telling us that Russia is now developing TWO ICBM systems concurrently ?

As far as I know, the BUlava series is still being developed and tested as per the following article appearing recently in Reuters.

(Reuters) - Russia has delayed the next submarine test launch of its troubled intercontinental nuclear missile Bulava until 2011, Itar-Tass state news agency reported on Wednesday.

The Bulava missile, which Moscow plans to make the cornerstone of its nuclear arsenal over the next decade, has failed seven of its previous 14 tests, endangering the future of the project which is estimated to cost at least $3 billion.

Apparently Russia no longer seem to be strapped for cash if they can pursue 2 icbm series development at the same time !

link   
I thought that our MIRV's were in Geo-stationary orbit around our targets. If the SHTF, they'll fall like a tonne of bricks from the sky. ETA to kill zone, less than 4 minutes.

link   
Sorry to say it, but President Obama has shown the Russians and other enemies of the west nothing but weakness, his actions, apologetic tone, and appeasement have only left them laughing at him, and that weakness will be consistently tested. and exploited.

Do you blame them?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
It seems from several news sources that the russians must be working on 2 ICBM's, the latest which is yet un-named, hmmmm

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by EricLintScD

I don't like at all the name......SS-18 "SATAN" missile. That's evil enough.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricLintScD
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

The news article clearly states they are developing a replacement to their Satan ICBM, which is new and so far un-named.
edit on 15-1-2011 by EricLintScD because: (no reason given)

...your point being? Satan is still going to be around until 2017.

tauristercus-
So, you're telling us that Russia is now developing TWO ICBM systems concurrently ?

As far as I know, the BUlava series is still being developed and tested as per the following article appearing recently in Reuters.

Bulava had some failures years ago, but now it is making serious headway. It should be finalized in the next few years. The Bulava is just a sub-launched Topol-M, so their issue is getting a missile designed to be fired from a truck to be fired from a sub, underwater.

Violator1
I thought that our MIRV's were in Geo-stationary orbit around our targets. If the SHTF, they'll fall like a tonne of bricks from the sky. ETA to kill zone, less than 4 minutes.

....no. Any such weapons in space is a severe violation in international law. MIRVs are the warheads in a missile, and they need to be delivered into orbit by a missile in order to reach their target.

Trueman-
I don't like at all the name......SS-18 "SATAN" missile. That's evil enough

note, that's the NATO reporting name (all NATO reporting names for Russian/Soviet ballistic missiles have an S designation). The Russians call it the R-36 and lately it's only been used to deliver satallites into space.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The United States has more advanced weaponry than we will ever (hopefully) know.

The Russian technology is inferior, as is the Chinese. We have the most money, the best everything, and the most of it - and we won't even let anyone know about it, it's that good.

Opinion only. But I'm sure if you look it up, you can find instances of the US playing the game that way.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Next thing you know, the states are gonna reveal the gods missile to counter satan.

Btw I really don't get it, in a technical point of view, what does a new missile will even serve them, like wtf, its not enough to have enough nukes to blow the whole planet you have to make some new ones. I just can't comprehend the line of thought behind this, it just does not make any sense. Completely useless and a waste of money and manpower in my opinion.
edit on 15-1-2011 by FreeStanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
"Rods from God" the US has. Nukes are so old school.

And the X-37B....well you know what that mug has in it. Let China have their new stealthy plane and Russia develop new missiles. No worries on this end. WAY, WAY, WAY ahead of that stuff....and its not even close.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Since when is Russia an enemy of the West? What advantages does the destruction of the USA give Russia? In my opinion, Russia is closer to the US today than it has been since the Civil War. Russia is a very independent, and tries to be as isolated as it can (something the US should look into). But it doesn't mean that they are the US's enemies. They just both want to look out for their own agendas, and the destruction of each other is not beneficial at all.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
Sorry to say it, but President Obama has shown the Russians and other enemies of the west nothing but weakness, his actions, apologetic tone, and appeasement have only left them laughing at him, and that weakness will be consistently tested. and exploited.

Do you blame them?

Yeah yeah yeah...

Until Obama feels the country is threatened than you bet your ass he'll tip his hat; he'll have to.

I just dont get it with you American sometime.. Bush was a war-monger, Obama is too peaceful and weak

which is it you want?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
I would hesitate to call Obama peaceful. He did decide to continue the pointless bloodsheds that are Aghanistan and Iraq. He hasn't made any move to fulfill his election campaign promis of removing the troops from Irag. Given that, he isn't as bad as Bush.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join