It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your True Star Signs: What You Should Know

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Yes, you have more than one Star Sign. The Sun Sign is only one and not even the most important one.

I read some of the posts that dismiss Astrology as totally bogus. Unfortunately, Astrology has been bastardized in the West. Aside from using the wrong Zodiac, Western astrologers have focused on Sun Signs which is a HUGE mistake. I’m guessing they have done this because it’s an easy or facile way to peg people and makes for party chitchat.

If you focus on Sun Signs, you don’t have to know the person’s birth hour. (It’s surprising how many people do NOT know what time they were born.) Almost everything in the natal chart depends on your birth hour. It defines your Rising Sign (which changes every two hours) and the divisional charts cannot be done without an exact Ascendant degree.

First of all (before I get into the different Zodiacs), you need to know that you are NOT your Sun Sign. You are your Rising Sign (Ascendant). Your Moon Sign is MORE IMPORTANT than your Sun Sign. (The Moon moves at about 12 degrees everyday.)

Also of great importance is the quality of your Ascendant Ruler. As an example, if your Ascendant is Libra, it is ruled by Venus. The quality of Venus changes depending on what sign it’s in. As an example, if Venus is in Pisces it’s Exalted and powerful by sign. If Venus is in Virgo, it’s Fallen and the best qualities of Venus have difficulty manifesting.

What is also VERY important are the Aspects to the various planets (I’m including the major asteroids) and sensitive points (Ascendant, Descendant, Mid-Heaven and Nadir, Vertex, East Point, etc.). As an example if Venus is Squared to Mars, it would have a very different meaning from a Venus that is not aspected at all.
Not all astrologers use the same aspects or the same orbs, these factors influence the reading.

Another very important factor is where in your Radix the planets are. In other words, which HOUSE the planet occupies which will give an idea of what part of life is influenced by said planet.

I realize I’m OVER-SIMPLIFYING things to make it easier for non-Astrologers to grasp. But ALL of these disparate parts are pulled together to delineate a natal chart. On to the different Zodiacs next ….

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

Lets look at the difference in Zodiacs:

The ancient “bible” of Western Astrology was the “Tetrabiblos” by mathematician, astronomer, astrologer Claudius Ptolemy (no relation to the royal family of the last Egyptian dynasty) who lived in Hellenized Egypt from AD 90 to AD 168. He was a Roman citizen and probably an ethnic Greek. The Astrology he founded is referred to as Greek Astrology or Graeco-Egyptian Astrology or Hellenistic Egyptian Astrology. I have seen this also called “Egyptian Astrology” although I think this is grossly misleading since the pre-Hellenistic Egyptians (pre- 305 BC) had their own astrology based on the fixed stars.

Claudius Ptolemy used a zodiac based on the Vernal Equinox (first day of Spring). In other words, the Aries Ingress (0 degrees Aries) was based on the day when day and night were of equal length (this varies from one year to the next) and usually falls between the 19th and 21st of March. This is called the Tropical Zodiac. That was fine while Ptolemy was alive.

In AD 221, the Tropical Zodiac and the Sidereal Zodiac were exactly aligned. Unfortunately for the Western astrologers, it did NOT remain so. These two zodiacs have diverged at the rate of 1 (one) degree every 71 and a half years. And for whatever reason, the Western astrologers did NOT adjust their Aries Ingress for the Precession of the Equinoxes.

(Most Western astrologers will defend [to the death] the validity of the Tropical Zodiac. The Tropical Zodiac has its uses in terms of anything dependent on the seasons or weather. It should NOT be used for delineating the natal chart or predictive work.)

We cannot discuss Sidereal Zodiacs without mentioning the Ayanamsha (the Sanskrit word for the precession rate). There is more than one Sidereal Zodiac, in fact there are several depending on which Ayanamsha you use. This is hotly debated in astrological circles. (I personally use the Lahiri and the Fagan-Bradley.)

In 1950, the government of India decided that they would recognize the Lahiri Ayanamsha which aligns 0 degrees Libra (or exactly 180 degrees Sidereal longitude) with the fixed star Spica (or Chitra in Sanskrit).

I also use the SVP (Synetic Vernal Point) defined by Cyril Fagan and listed in the Michelsen ephemeris. As an example, the SVP for 01 January 2011 is 5 degrees Pisces, 6 minutes and 4 seconds – which means that’s where the Sidereal Aries Ingress is. Or you could say that the Tropical 0 degrees Aries is almost 25 degrees off from the Sidereal.

Here’s a chart to help you find your Sidereal Sun Sign (note that days can shift from one year to the next):

Aries -- Apr 14 to May 13

Taurus -- May 13 to Jun 15

Gemini -- Jun 15 to Jul 15

Cancer – Jul 15 to Aug 16

Leo – Aug 16 to Sep 16

Virgo – Sep 16 to Oct 16

Libra – Oct 16 to Nov 15

Scorpio – Nov 15 to Dec 15

Sagittarius – Dec 15 to Jan 14

Capricorn – Jan 14 to Feb 13

Aquarius – Feb 13 to Mar 13

Pisces – Mar 13 to Apr 13

SeaWind
edit on 15-1-2011 by SeaWind because: added spaces for clarity.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
So very true OP.

Here's a 'quicky' free site to tell you your rising, moon etc signs. You have to know your hour of birth and of course, location.

Have fun.
alabe.com...

Disclaimer:
The OP is referring to sidereal zodiac signs and this post includes a link for Sun sign zodiac signs.

edit on Tue Feb 1 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: mod edit to add disclaimer

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

As for lunar months, it’s true there are 13 lunar months (each month = 28 days) in a Solar year. But this has nothing to do with the 13th Zodiac sign of Ophiuchus.

Ophiuchus is NOT new. It has ALWAYS been in effect -- as part of Scorpio. If you want to use the Sidereal Zodiac (my recommendation), Ophiuchus affects those born from Nov 29 to Dec 15.

You are still a Scorpio, but you have this ADDITIONAL effect of Ophiuchus.

The Zodiacal Signs are symbolic and do not always align perfectly with the star constellations, even in Sidereal (which is much closer than Tropical).

The meaning of the Zodiacal signs is based on observation over a VERY long time.

I hope this helps uncloud some of the confusion among the non-Astrologers.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Hi Human_Alien, it's good to see someone here who understands! That looks like a good site. I was alarmed by how much confusion about Astrology there was on the various Ophiuchus threads.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

Someone just posted a thread on "Jared Loughner's Zodiac" -- so bizarre.

However that prompted me to take a peek at Loughner's sidereal chart. This obviously is NOT a definitive chart since his birth hour and birth place are unknown at this point. Nevertheless, there is some interesting info to be gleaned from this tentative chart:

One of the first things I noticed was that his Sun & Moon are conjoined in Leo. Not bad in itself but it explains this INTENSE desire for attention and recognition. Leo as you probably know, rules the stage, among other things.

Also the Moon is waning into a Dark Moon -- not auspicious.

His Mercury is strong in Virgo, but afflicted by a square from Neptune. He probably had schizoid tendencies from the beginning. He really lived in his own dream world. I realize that one can argue that EVERYONE lives in his own dream world, but in this case -- it's someone who finds it especially difficult to tether himself to our consensus reality.

I wish I had more exact birth data.

SeaWind

edit on 15-1-2011 by SeaWind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

What you should know:
The celestial bodies are so far away from us that we cannot rationally conceive of the notion in one step. The only bodies that have any real effect on us are the sun (obvious for anyone who understand photosynthesis and sunburns), the moon (tides), and Jupiter (scoops up some asteroids here and there, it's how it has so many moons). The rest are just nice to look at.

I mean, seriously, what's the means by which a star, a constellation, or anything else in the night sky can change something about someone's life?

And how the hell is any of this philosophical?

Edit: One last thing, Ptolemy? Seriously? You're going to take the word of the guy who came up with the model of the universe in which our planet was at the center on matters of astronomy? This is why I can't even get close to respecting this sort of stuff, you're not just working from outdated information, you're working from information that basically everyone knows is outdated.
edit on 15/1/11 by madnessinmysoul because: One last thing

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

I did this and I found it to be so insanely inaccurate that I actually started laughing. Hell, I even took the bother of finding the exact coordinates of the hospital I was born in (the town wasn't in the database). It's so funny, saying things like I'm 'conservative' and that I get 'tunnel-vision' when I'm working on something and that I don't get distracted easily...it couldn't have been more wrong.

It did get one or two things right, but considering how much it tossed out there, it's sort of hard to not get something wrong. I mean, I do enjoy feeing people, though I don't enjoy mothering them.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Madnessin my soul, so what is your birthdata? You can U2U it to me. I'm curious to see your chart.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
So very true OP.

Here's a 'quicky' free site to tell you your rising, moon etc signs. You have to know your hour of birth and of course, location.

Have fun.
alabe.com...

Thanks, that site was fun.
Actually, not all of it describing me. But some of it, pretty much so.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here's my issue with astrology. How do you know when to stop?
If the position of planets and such has any impact on your life, which ones? All of them? Maybe seven of them? Just those in our solar system? Where do you stop, and why?

It seems to me that if we are affected by heavenly bodies, we must be affected by all of them. I seriously doubt that we have charted everything of size in space, so how could you even begin to think you can get any kind of accurate prediction when you don't have all the variables.

I also happen to know a fella who was born within an hour of me, same day, same year, same hospital.
Yet we could not be more different.
Were his attributes influenced by a different universe? If date, time, location of birth, and planetary position are what determines what kind of person we are, how could he be so different?

To me, it's a bunch of made-up hooey designed to part a fool from his/her money.
But if it makes you happy, then have a day!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by SeaWind

What you should know:
The celestial bodies are so far away from us that we cannot rationally conceive of the notion in one step. The only bodies that have any real effect on us are the sun (obvious for anyone who understand photosynthesis and sunburns), the moon (tides), and Jupiter (scoops up some asteroids here and there, it's how it has so many moons). The rest are just nice to look at.

I mean, seriously, what's the means by which a star, a constellation, or anything else in the night sky can change something about someone's life?

And how the hell is any of this philosophical?

Edit: One last thing, Ptolemy? Seriously? You're going to take the word of the guy who came up with the model of the universe in which our planet was at the center on matters of astronomy? This is why I can't even get close to respecting this sort of stuff, you're not just working from outdated information, you're working from information that basically everyone knows is outdated.
edit on 15/1/11 by madnessinmysoul because: One last thing

It most definitely is related to human psychology, philosophy & metaphysics. Too bad Carl Jung and Dane Rudhyar (Jungian psychologist) aren't here to argue with you.

And because an astronomer of almost 2,000 years ago believed Earth was the center of the universe, you disparage ALL of his work. So you don't believe ANY astronomer before Copernicus has ANY value.

I do not offer any theory as to WHY Astrology works, I KNOW it works.

Too bad Sir Isaac Newton isn't here:

"Sir, I have studied it, you have not" -Isaac Newton, Astrologer, said in defense of astrology to disbeliever in Halley (comet discoverer).

archure.net...

SeaWind
edit on 15-1-2011 by SeaWind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x
Here's my issue with astrology. How do you know when to stop?
If the position of planets and such has any impact on your life, which ones? All of them? Maybe seven of them? Just those in our solar system? Where do you stop, and why?

It seems to me that if we are affected by heavenly bodies, we must be affected by all of them. I seriously doubt that we have charted everything of size in space, so how could you even begin to think you can get any kind of accurate prediction when you don't have all the variables.

I also happen to know a fella who was born within an hour of me, same day, same year, same hospital.
Yet we could not be more different.
Were his attributes influenced by a different universe? If date, time, location of birth, and planetary position are what determines what kind of person we are, how could he be so different?

To me, it's a bunch of made-up hooey designed to part a fool from his/her money.
But if it makes you happy, then have a day!

Subject X, you were NOT born at the same time as this other person. An hour can make a real difference, especially in the divisional charts. The planets (& asteroids) used are limited to our solar system. The bodies closest to Earth bear the most powerful influence. Why Astrology works it basically an unknown.

BTW, I do NOT charge money for my charts. I'm a research astrologer.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

It's actually in my profile on ATS. My birth date is the 23rd December 1988, I was born at Latitude: 35° 53' 41 N, Longitude: 14° 29' 42 E. The charts are silly and more than suspiciously vague, so I doubt you'll gain anything of any value.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SeaWind

Originally posted by SeaWind
It most definitely is related to human psychology, philosophy & metaphysics. Too bad Carl Jung and Dane Rudhyar (Jungian psychologist) aren't here to argue with you.

Yes, because I'd actually have a one up on two great minds. Thankfully, I can stand on the shoulders of such great thinkers and see exactly where they were wrong. The only effect that any star has on us (aside from the sun) is a very small amount of light that hits our eyes when there isn't too much light pollution.

And this is the logical fallacy of the argument from authority. Linus Pauling thought that DNA had a triple helix structure and that massive doses of vitamins cured everything, but he was wrong on both counts. He also had two Nobel prizes in two different categories, chemistry and peace (the only other person to achieve this honor being Madame Curie, physics and chemistry if I'm not mistaken).

And because an astronomer of almost 2,000 years ago believed Earth was the center of the universe, you disparage on ALL of his work. So you don't believe ANY astronomer before Copernicus has ANY value.

No, but I think their astronomical works should be taken in their historical context. Their works were largely futile in the broad scope of things.

I do not offer any theory as to WHY Astrology works, I KNOW it works.

And yet there's not been a single scientific study to show this. And with no mechanism, how do you know it works? People have been studying this stuff for centuries, and yet they've not figured it out?

Too bad Sir Isaac Newton isn't here:

"Sir, I have studied it, you have not" -Isaac Newton, Astrologer, said in defense of astrology to disbeliever in Halley (comet discoverer).

archure.net...

Another example of the logical fallacy of the argument from authority. People tend to hold Newton up on this odd pedestal. Granted, he is one of the greatest scientific minds who ever existed, but he was also oddly obsessed with things that were entirely unscientific. His great works don't justify his entire belief set.

Now, I'll grant that the time of year you were born might have affected your life in some way due to the influence that events revolving around it would have on your life. My birthday is two days before Christmas, I'm sure that had some psychological effect. The problem is that it has nothing to do with the stars and probably had an entirely different effect on someone with an entirely different personality and other life circumstances.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Subject X, you were NOT born at the same time as this other person. An hour can make a real difference, especially in the divisional charts. The planets (& asteroids) used are limited to our solar system. The bodies closest to Earth bear the most powerful influence. Why Astrology works it basically an unknown.

Why is it limited to our own solar system? Maybe further objects have less influence singly, but they must have an influence (there are no borders in space), and as the bodies outside our system vastly outnumber those within, they must add up to a mighty influence, I would imagine. To arbitrarily limit it to just our system sounds like "make it up as you go along". And if why/how it works is unknown, how can you know what does and does not influence things?

Not trying to be a douche here, just trying, again, to understand why anyone would put their belief in such an arbitrary system.

That's a good thing, I guess. Have you spent any money for other people's information on making charts?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by SeaWind

It's actually in my profile on ATS. My birth date is the 23rd December 1988, I was born at Latitude: 35° 53' 41 N, Longitude: 14° 29' 42 E. The charts are silly and more than suspiciously vague, so I doubt you'll gain anything of any value.

Madnessinmysoul, It will take me a few minutes to glance at your chart. Of course, you already set NOT to agree with me.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

reply to post by SeaWind

I just realized you did NOT give me a birth time. Needed!

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by subject x

Why is it limited to our own solar system? Maybe further objects have less influence singly, but they must have an influence (there are no borders in space), and as the bodies outside our system vastly outnumber those within, they must add up to a mighty influence, I would imagine. To arbitrarily limit it to just our system sounds like "make it up as you go along". And if why/how it works is unknown, how can you know what does and does not influence things?

Not trying to be a douche here, just trying, again, to understand why anyone would put their belief in such an arbitrary system.

That's a good thing, I guess. Have you spent any money for other people's information on making charts?

Astrology is a very ancient "Sacred Science" -- the meaning of the signs & planets evolved over much time & experience. "The proof of the pudding is in the eating of it."

"Have you spent any money for other people's information on making charts? "

I'm not sure what you mean by that. I have spent money to gather birth data on people I have been very interested in.

SeaWind

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
So very true OP.

Have fun.
alabe.com...

I guess that was fun. I read about some person I do not recognize in myself...at all! Seriously, I have my birth certificate so I do know the exact time of my birth as well as the location, but this was completely not me.

It said I am good with math! LOL
It said that I am bottled up emotionally! LOL OHHHH yeah, like the thoughts run through my body and squirt out my ears! LOL

It said that I like gadgets! I hate gadgets and I always do things by hand.

It said that I hate routine! LOL, this one is funny, I am a stickler for routine. I am a domestic person so I do things routinely and I do the same things every single day! I love Routine, actually I think it is my middle name! Oh darn, I don't have a middle name! LOL

It said that I am known for being calm, cool, and detached! LOL ...that is the kicker, I am over sensitive, overly reactive, and I will speak my mind and get involved with anything that has to do with my emotions.

It said that I love my family above all else, and yet they will not speak to me and I prefer it that way now that I realize how detrimental they were in my life. I do miss my Mom but she married the Incubus! Yeah, Dad's a demon seed from Hell! His kids are not the brightest lot! I guess I could have been switched at birth, but I am the spitting image of the Demon himself!

Well, enough of that site, I am still not on-board with this Re-created Astrology Madness! Recreated in that some Publisher is ready to embrace a new way of looking at it but needs to make sure everyone is going to accept it first. If they are reading this, sorry, isn't going to work! LOL

I am a Scorpio through and through, no Aquarius here! LOL

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join