It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hello ya'll, Its been a while since I've posted. But I wanted to share this with you guy's

My best friend, who I grew up with, He grew up in a strict religious family. His father was/is a minister or sumthing like that lol. I would talk to them about the poss' of "Alien beings", and they would say that the are demons in that form sent to confuse. So I would never speak of that again, Untill the other night my friend calls and says he see's a "ufo". A large spinning red light heading north from south, moving slow then after a few minutes it disappears. It wasnt falling, it was flying in a steady path. I dint see anything since I live a little further from his area. He is not the type to make up stories, he is a sirius type of dude. But now my friend "Joe" is feeling a lost on what he believes ??? I have also turned his world up sided down on his beliefs with all that has happend with new discoverys with nasa and what not... and he is also digging around for him self, but I told him dont believe all thats out there... I tried to get him to come here to get opinions for him self.. but no lol

Is this a good thing or a bad thing ? Should I feel bad or good ?

Thanx for reading and taking the time to share your thoughts.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

If your "friend" is seeking his own truth, and exploring the physical and spiritual universe on his own then that is always a good thing. His parents can believe whatever they want, just as he is entitled to the same right. So, if his views have been turned upside down by some kind of physical event (like seeing a UFO) then I suggest you continue to help push him towards embarking on his own explorations concerning the purpose of his life.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

How should I aproach him or any person hard shelled like that?
...By talking about my opinions or hard facts/proof?

Thanx
edit on 15-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by VenomVile.6

Well, if you've found someone who is adamant in their opinions or beliefs it is almost impossible to change them with "hard science", "facts", or "proof". The human mind, while phenomenal at uncovering the truth, is also quite skilled at putting up these little things called "ideological blinders", which prohibit us from believing something outside of our world view until we have absolutely no other alternative. So, you're more then welcome to bring a hammer to their wall of beliefs, but you're not likely to dent their shells, only your collective friendship.

What you should do, is look for parallels between what you believe and what these other people believe. For instance, if you both believe in a god-figure then you could discuss why they believe God is what God is, and why you believe God is something else. Keeping it friendly is often a good way to let alternative opinions be heard. So, now that your friend has "seen a UFO" you could try asking him what he thinks of the experience, and give him some alternative views on what UFOs are, or might be. Then, if he is accepting, branch out. Ask him what he believes about himself, his life, the world, or God now that he has seen something which might be a life-form from another planet, or galaxy.

Never push in the beginning though. Your opinions and beliefs deserve the limelight just as much as theirs do. So speak when they are listening, and listen when they are speaking. Keep it friendly and communal and you are likely to get much further.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by VenomVile.6

. . . he see's a "ufo". A large spinning red light heading north from south, moving slow then after a few minutes it disappears. It wasnt falling, it was flying in a steady path.

Without attempting to belittle your friend's experience, it occurs that if an incident such as sighting a red light traveling acroos the sky is enough to make him question years of belief and upbringing, that there may be a fundamental problem with his current 'belief system.'

Additionally, your below question seems to be a moot afterthought issue,

How should I aproach him or any person hard shelled like that?
...By talking about my opinions or hard facts/proof?

particularly in light of your earlier statements suggesting that you may have already made this decision by default.

I have also turned his world up sided down on his beliefs with all that has happend with new discoverys with nasa and what not . . .

Still, just my opinion and the impression I get from first reading.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by VenomVile.6
Hello ya'll, Its been a while since I've posted. But I wanted to share this with you guy's

My best friend, who I grew up with, He grew up in a strict religious family. His father was/is a minister or sumthing like that lol. I would talk to them about the poss' of "Alien beings", and they would say that the are demons in that form sent to confuse. So I would never speak of that again, Untill the other night my friend calls and says he see's a "ufo". A large spinning red light heading north from south, moving slow then after a few minutes it disappears. It wasnt falling, it was flying in a steady path. I dint see anything since I live a little further from his area. He is not the type to make up stories, he is a sirius type of dude. But now my friend "Joe" is feeling a lost on what he believes ??? I have also turned his world up sided down on his beliefs with all that has happend with new discoverys with nasa and what not... and he is also digging around for him self, but I told him dont believe all thats out there... I tried to get him to come here to get opinions for him self.. but no lol

Is this a good thing or a bad thing ? Should I feel bad or good ?

Thanx for reading and taking the time to share your thoughts.

Of course it's a good thing. He was religious when he needed religion. Now things are happening that are widening his perspective and causing him to question previously held beliefs, so he may not need the myths that sustained him before. That's never bad, and you simply were there to facilitate that transition. Hopefully, he won't revert back to superstition, but if he does, that's his choice and he may still need that right now to deal with an amazing, complex universe. When you talked about aliens/UFOs, you did your job. In effect you planted seeds that grew.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Visiting ESB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Ya.. the dudes is confused on what to believe, now. I told him if God created other beings, wouldnt "He" (as we were raised to think of him) create them also in his image, too..? Then he say's I dont know what to believe any more... he stated all sad !

Of course now I have a buddy to share ufo knowledge with lol
I would like to open his mind on how much is really out side this realm/planet, not to be mean tho, no?

Any more advice, and whats a good believable video I can share with my buddy too help broaden his prespective?
Thanx guy's
edit on 16-1-2011 by VenomVile.6 because: add

new topics

top topics

join