It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Censored Mars Spirit Rover Image!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Was wondering if anyone had read anything on why this image is censored? I cannot think of any logical reason for NASA blackening out part of the sky on Mars other than them not wanting us to see something!

Source
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

Mod Note: Image Size – Please Review This Link.
edit on Sat Jan 15 2011 by Jbird because: reduced image size

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Very strange.. the sun maybe? but still dont know why they would block out the sun

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Perhaps it was a mistake. There doesn't seem to be anything of significance in the region that was obscured. Just my opinion, though.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Well now, that's an interesting "Name Label" over the picture.
I'm sure Weedwacky or Chadwiky will say that's it's from pixalation or Van Allen Belt reflection

I would like a NASA explanation though.
Nice find.
SnF

edit on 15-1-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
added the whole image here
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2957418011b6.jpg[/atsimg]

where does it say that nasa added the black square, I can only see the pic in your link nothing more about it
never mind I found it
edit on 15-1-2011 by Versa because: edited to say never mind I found it

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have to say though why would they even release the picture if there was actually something there that they had to block out.... Surely they could just keep the image quiet?

link   
reply to post by Niccawhois

Wow. That circle of stones on the right just sort of jumps out at ya....

Probably just a coincidence... but still...

link   
I don't know why this is done, but this is a pic of the same area from the same series.

marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 15-1-2011 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy
I don't know why this is done, but this is a pic of the same area from the same series.

translate.google.com...://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/spirit_p2151_text.html&rurl=translate.go ogle.ca&twu=1

any chance you could try that again?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The image is off the pancam from Sol 2151. At this point the Rover was winding down and stuck in one place.

Spirit Prepares for Winter - sols 2151-2158, Jan. 20-28, 2010 Spirit is still embedded in the area called "Troy" on the west side of Home Plate. Energy levels for Spirit have been decreasing rapidly as winter approaches. To prepare for winter, the project is taking actions to improve northerly tilt of the rover to maximize solar illumination. []... As of Sol 2158 (Jan. 28, 2010), the rover solar array energy production was down to 182 watt-hours with an atmospheric opacity (tau) of 0.379 and a dust factor of 0.522. Total odometry is 7,730.46 meters (4.80 miles).
Source

The black spaces in images mean that only partial data made its way to NASA. Efforts to move the Spirit Rover, combined with taking images, might have effected the power to transmit the data successfully. It reminds me of making calls when my battery is dying, reception/transmission tails off and comes back again.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

How do you know it's censored and not just an error?

You're jumping to conclusions.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link
edit on Sat Jan 15 2011 by Jbird because: replaced lrg quote with reply to

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I don't really see anything that would deserve to be censored, but it is strange. I do have a question and I understand that this may sound stupid and silly, and I understand that communication is an issue with this. But is there not any night pictures on Mars? If so I would really like to see what the night sky on Mars looks like just cause I am curious.

Never mind answered my own question. 3dastronomer.com...
edit on 15-1-2011 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

I'd have to assume that you wouldnt see anything other than blackness...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

Nice thank you for that found another image that is pretty cool from JPL on that subject: www.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 15-1-2011 by Golithion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Golithion

oops i was wrong
edit on 15-1-2011 by Versa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have to say that yes they may have has a transmision faliure ... but no failure would leave such a rectangular strait edged blank spot... a transmision failure would take out a much more jagged full width area...unless i am very mistaken this is not a transmision problem.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Maybe they took that picture while a martian family fly home from shopping in Venus.

c'mon man, we are not ready for this.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by tokzik

I dont know but I was thinking that each pic is probably made up of several pics so what we are seeing is one whole missing/failed pic (like a missing jigsaw piece)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Looks like 'The Man' got to that data with his algorithms while it was in transit.

Something stands out a little too much and 'data loss' occurs. That's one theory.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join