It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From 2006: 80% of Lebanese Christians support Hizbullah's fight with Israel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

80% of Lebanese Christians support Hizbullah's fight with Israel

The stakes are high for Hizbullah, but it seems it can count on an unprecedented swell of public support that cuts across sectarian lines.According to a poll released by the Beirut Center for Research and Information, 87 percent of Lebanese support Hizbullah's fight with Israel, a rise of 29 percent on a similar poll conducted in February. More striking, however, is the level of support for Hizbullah's resistance from non-Shiite communities. Eighty percent of Christians polled supported Hizbullah along with 80 percent of Druze and 89 percent of Sunnis.

Link

Also to note is this poll from December 3, 2010: Link

Hezbollah received a narrow 52 percent favorable rating in its home base of Lebanon. But that slim majority belies deep divisions across Islamic sects in Lebanon, with 94 percent of Shia supporting Hezbollah and 84 percent of Sunnis looking on the group unfavorably.

While I recognize this was from 2006 it was still interesting to me because Hezbollah is known as a Shiite Muslim political party/organization and not so much one favored my Christians and Druze. However this does not mean that Christians and Druze support Hezbollah in general to such a high degree but rather their actions during the 2006 Israel-Lebanon war.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I know a girl whose father is from Lebanon and they visited there last summer. His family is Catholic as a large part of lebanon is. When they went there he said he was extremely disappointed with some of his family because they too were supporting Hizbullah.....

He said the reason why they are changing views is because of course the government is corrupt etc... but Hizbullah was giving food and medical supplies to the populace while the government did nothing... and he believes that is why the change is continuing. Not only that but the propaganda by Hizbullah is abundant, basically filling the void of the missing government. He is from Lebanon, and has been in America for I think 25+ years, he considers himself more American than many Americans because his views are conservative and loves America and the constitution.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 11PB11

funny enough i know couple people in the UK who are from Labonen
they only come here on working Visas, but they support Hezbullah more then their own goverment
since the goverment in power does jack all to help its people

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I'm not surprised, the war of 2006 took its toll on the Lebanese and Israel wasn't the most popular country in the area...
I wonder what that poll would look like today, now that the Lebanese are finding out Hezbollah killed their PM...

It is plausible that Hezbollah could try to provoke Israel into attacking Lebanon to increase its standing with the Lebanese people.. I really hope that never happens.

reply to post by illusive man

What does Hezbollah do to help the people?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I highly doubt the 2006 poll.
Hizbulla brought the 2006 war to Lebanon. Heck, even Nasrallah himself admitted had he known how Israel would respond to their attack in summer of 2006, he would have canceled it.
If however the poll is legit, than maybe the Christians of Lebanon should have a memory refreshment of how Hizbulla depicts the future of Lebanon:

www.memritv.org...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
What do you expect? Would you support the people who protect you, clothe you, feed you or the people who have used you and toy with you?

new topics

top topics

join