It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mike Lee: Federal Child Labor Laws Are Unconstitutional (VIDEO)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Mike Lee: Federal Child Labor Laws Are Unconstitutional

Freshman Tea Party-backed Senator Mike Lee (R-Utah) recently offered an provocative interpretation of the Constitution he holds so dear, arguing that federal child labor laws go beyond the bounds of the document.

yes my fellow ATSers now they want to bring back child slavery with the BS-excuse that it's unconstitutional.
poor family's will be sending the kids to be worked to death rather than send them to school as in the past.

look at this porker does he look like somebody "who knows the value of hard work"
not to me. looks more like one of the pigs from animal farm. with baby fat.

note to mods not sure if this is the right forum feel free to move if necessary.

p.s. looks like that's about it for the tea party.

edit on 15-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit & additional comment

edit on 15-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: corrections re ext-text

edit on 15-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added edit

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
He goes beyond the bounds of decency.

People like him SAY that they've "worked" for what they have, but they haven't. It has been given to them, and they usually don't know what they are talking about no matter how much they speak of it.

I hope someone punches him in the mouth.

We have a few politicians and mouth pieces in Canada that fit the same "type" of person this guy is. They generally treat people who are not their "peers" like pieces of dirt. They pretend to be "self-made" men, but got their jobs due to family and really never worked a day in their life outside of their bunkered in lifestyle. They'll lie, cheat steal, and believe their stupid ideas about "your place" with all their heart.

I despise them. I despise what they want to do with my society. That this man thinks advocating THIS is a good thing is a horror which needs to stomped down with a fist of iron.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
may I add another unusually strange child issue?

why can't say a 16 year old buy a 1 dollar lottery ticket. they can blow 2 dollars on a HFC laden soda pop..

kids are wrongfully discriminated against in many areas.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
typical of the tea party this mans interpretation of the rulings and laws regarding child labor is selective at best. they prefer the approach of taking what bits and pieces of things like the constitution fit their 'world-view' and leaving the rest. it is childish and simple.

i am also increasingly irritated by the continued use of the term 'states responsibility / right'. this too is overly simplified and can only be used as a rationalization if one chooses to ignore the multiplicity of interconnections we share socially, financially, environmentally...

but i say let them have their day. it will after all be a short one.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Yayy . . . so let's open up the job market to kids. That's all we need with unemployment as high as it is, even more applicants.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Not having to work at three is discrimination?

Not being allowed to target people with developing brains with your addictive behaviours and addictive substances legally is a type of discrimination that says you aren't an idiot.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
www.ancestrymagazine.com...

Single mothers carrying their 4 year olds off at the mines at 3:30 am and then picking them up at 7pm for the 2 pence a week it made to help feed their family.

AWESOME. What a GREAT idea. Let us go back to that.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Thank you for your replies.

yes, it's becoming clearer that TPTB are out to take us back to feudalism or worse
they've allowed the educational system to fall apart
they allowed our manufacturing base to be exported overseas, the infrastructure to decay,crashed the economy,etc;
so as to breed obedient workers smart enough to do as they're told and dumb enough to keep doing as they're told.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I agree with Mike Lee. What a true patriot and American hero.

I think we should do away with all government spending....except of course if it benefits corporations...oh...and wars as well...cuz we need our freedom. Can't have enough of that freedom people!!!!

While we are at it we should eliminate the minimum wage as well...let's send our kids and great grandpas out to work.

After all, they are nothing but lazy liberals trying to rip off the taxpayer!!!! I'm tired of them living on our dime!!!!

Palin/Beck 2012.

S/F...thanks for bringing this wonderful human being to our attention. The future of my child feels so much brighter after finding out about this man and his wonderful agenda.

Glad we have people like him in government...I only wish he was in every state.

/end sarcasm
edit on 10-3-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
may I add another unusually strange child issue?

why can't say a 16 year old buy a 1 dollar lottery ticket. they can blow 2 dollars on a HFC laden soda pop..

kids are wrongfully discriminated against in many areas.

I agree with you here; why do they have to pay income tax? They don't/cannot vote. I think they shouldn't have to but they should be able to be paid a student wage like in the past.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think the point the guy is making is that the FEDERAL government doesn't have the authority to create a law like that - that is a right reserved to the states themselves.

With that, I agree with.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Ever notice how "states rights" is always the battle cry of efforts to make conditions worse for people?

Slavery? STATE'S RIGHTS!
Wage floors? STATE'S RIGHTS!
Child labor? STATE'S RIGHTS!
Suffrage for women? STATE'S RIGHTS!
Segregation? STATE'S RIGHTS!
Gay rights? STATE'S RIGHTS!

About hte only place in history where "state's rights" are invoked in an effort to improve the situation is in the case of legalizing marijuana. And then, you know who's deathly quiet?

All the people who usually clamour for state's rights.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
State Rights - where your governor can make sure that in an emergency situation that foreign countries can come to the aide of the populace before you'd allow the country's army to come help.

Awesomeness in action.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Slavery? STATE'S RIGHTS! Wage floors? STATE'S RIGHTS! Child labor? STATE'S RIGHTS! Suffrage for women? STATE'S RIGHTS! Segregation? STATE'S RIGHTS! Gay rights? STATE'S RIGHTS!

Can't believe i never noticed this...but wow you are right.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it because we have no factory jobs left and illegals are doing the farm jobs and take low wages children would have to make at least minimum wage so fat chance it will even be an issue. Plus what jobs are they going to do when there are no jobs?

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Link no longer working. New Link.

books.google.ca...=onepage&q&f=false

I'll add some other stuff showing how "valued" children were and are as "workers."

www.vam.ac.uk...&_work/health/index.html

edit on 2011/3/10 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There's a difference between not being permitted to work and not being forced to work.

Permitting somebody to work at an age is not the same as forcing somebody to work at an age.

Unless of course the whole income tax to the master thing is actually being admitted by the fed to be sharecropping. Is that what the gov is doing? Admitting quite openly and blatantly that all wage earners are sharecroppers?

I wanted to work when I was a kid. I had to wait until I was 15. Who do I see about restitution for lost wages due to the ageist ban on employment?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

You make up for your lost wages by being a more useful worker for the rest of your life after that point.

When they manage to wreck a significant part of the workforce before they are even adults, thereby making them unskilled dependents for the majority of their life, it isn't a great idea of anyone.
edit on 2011/3/10 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Reply to post by Aeons

How exactly will a few more years in the warehouse or in a cubicle "break me"? Or am I supposedly working some 15th floor sewing sweatshop job in NYC that doesn't exist anymore?

Four more years of earned wages would have put me ahead four more years of experience, pay and retirement.

Instead I had to waste them sitting in some government classroom surrounded by drug addicts and gang bangers listening to the same lecture from the same textbook I'd been listening to for the past 6 grades.

Nobody knows how my time is best spent but me. Certainly not the government.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The first half of my life was essentially a waste because I couldn't do what I needed to do to get where I wanted to be. I had to tolerate all the garbage everybody else thought I needed.

This child labor nonsense is one of those things.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join