It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle School Student Behavior

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
generally as a 16 year old I would say that even charter high schools are a bit #ty. In my high school despite strict rules students generally are disruptive. One time the kids even made a teacher run out and cry.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlan1111

I teach in an Inner City School and teach 9th-12th grade students. Where do you teach? There's a big difference between inner city schools and school in the suburbs. Private schools can pick and choose who they want to keep and then they throw their discipline problem students to the public schools. There are a lot of variables that I haven't mentioned in my post that directly reflect why these students are out of control. Some of these students are homeless, live on their own or with friends. Their father may be in jail. We have students who are gang members, some are on probation or on the influence of drugs! Our administrators become too friendly with the trouble makers and these students don't take their consequences seriously. Administrators don't enforce school discipline policy because too many students are not in compliance! I have very strict classroom management because I know the importance of good work ethics in the work force. When I assign these students detention, very few will show up. So my next step is writing a referral to the office. I don't like doing this too much, because administrators don't like doing the paper work on these chronic students who always have discipline problems. You can't expect your classroom style can work in any classroom environment. How many fights have you broken up? We're not only teachers where I work, were policemen and counselors too!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

Your honest perspective is appreciated! I would like to hear your perspective on the attitudes of some students who attend your school

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Currently being a student in the public school system (Melbourne, Australia) i can agree with the disgusting behavior shown by some students.
It is like some of the students just don't want to learn but rather cause havoc and get a thrill out of others frustration. I feel sorry for the teachers who just want to teach.

From a students perspective I think it is a lack respect to both the teacher and the other students and parents refusing to enforce approait discipline.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
reply to post by daeoeste

Unfortunately, bad parenting is not being considered as an issue when it comes to classroom misbehavior. These behaviors are a key element in test scoring. Poor test scoring is being blamed on the teachers. "Good' teachers are going to be given merit pay. I suggest that a "good" teacher removed from a high scoring school and placed in an urban school, would no longer be considered a "good" teacher. Granted there are teachers who are not as motivated or creative as other teachers, but overall, most teachers are very motivated and really care about their students. The issue is not good or bad teachers. It is good or bad parenting, but the government thinks otherwise.

When I graduated school, most of the other students of my grade had grown up slightly. I looked back slightly, just to see how the kids in Middle School acted and they were utter terrors. I remember my classmates and I weren't perfect for sure, but we were nothing like that.

I also remember we weren't treated like people. We were treated like robots. Be quiet, sit down, behave. And what I've noticed, as aero mentioned, is that the teachers are blamed.

In actuality, the government is the issue here. I know that gets thrown around a lot here, but it is quite true in this case.

The government establishes a curriculum, which is updated every year if I remember correctly. I'm all for learning and everything, but it's a little absurd when following this curriculum must also provide time for test scoring, which the state government dishes out according to these scores.

The federal government continues to cut funding every year, while providing a more strict curriculum and test scores become higher and higher to achieve. If the school does not achieve these scores, they lose funding and possibly could be closed if low enough.

So, all the curriculum is based on this school testing, rather than learning. It's pretty obvious, I noticed this going through school. And it's not just me, my father started to teach at our local college about the time I started school, so I knew what the teachers were going through.

The government cuts funding, which makes the school crack down on teachers, which crack down on students. Everything the teachers rely on to live their life comes from us, and that's not right. In a round a bout way, the government has made us responsible. How can you be so concerned about the students without actually being concerned about us as people? All we learn is on those tests. Which may not seem a lot. But when a world history class becomes an American history class, I think somethings not quite right.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I went to a Catholic primary school.
A ruler on the knuckles did the job most of the time, and a trip to the P.E. coach in front of the class with a paddle did what the nuns couldn't handle.
I managed to experience the wussification of schooling and the drugging of the interesting, being in Catholic, public and alternative education systems.

Do you know why young children only usually grab something hot once?

Exactly.

Humans are, at a base level, just another animal.
Observe how even upper level mammals train (educate) their young.

No amount of shrinkology or medication will change that fact.

The best and brightest of the past would never have risen to the top, as they, as a group, would have been diagnosed as ADD, ADHD, Highly Functional Dysfunctionals (of many terms) and drugged, psyched, and privately trained to "act normal".

One of my parents is a Psychologist, and the other a life long educator in public education.

I watched it evolve.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

In society there are rules and codes of conduct. I think a warning to stop cartwheeling should have been clear enough. Students should have enough sense to understand that some activity like cartwheeling has no place in crowded school hallways. The student showed her disrespect by ignoring the warning and continuing on doing another cartwheel. If a police officer stopped you for trespassing would you continue to trespass because he wasn't being polite? The real world doesn't always work the way you would like it to. There are rules and policies in school just like at work, the military, and laws to follow in everyday life. Teachers are there to enforce school policy and rules whether you like them or not. Students need to understand why they're at school. There is a time for learning and a time for play.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox

Do you know why young children only usually grab something hot once?

Simple analogy but to the point. To change poor behavior, there has to be a consequence that will change the behavior from happening again. I'm not promoting anything drastic, but why not have these kids assigned to a boot camp instead of detentions? Have them wake up at 6am, run, exercise and learn respect from a retired drill Sargent. I've mentioned this before, but I've been told it's considered cruel and unusual punishment. How can working out and exercising be labeled as cruel and unusual punishment? My high school phys ed teacher did exactly that!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Im so proud of the youth of tomorrow, finally we have a generation which wont all kneel down blindly to authority and accept their enslavement and indoctrination like most of our previous failing generation did.

Cartwheel all ya like kids !!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

In society there are rules and codes of conduct. I think a warning to stop cartwheeling should have been clear enough. Students should have enough sense to understand that some activity like cartwheeling has no place in crowded school hallways. The student showed her disrespect by ignoring the warning and continuing on doing another cartwheel. If a police officer stopped you for trespassing would you continue to trespass because he wasn't being polite? The real world doesn't always work the way you would like it to. There are rules and policies in school just like at work, the military, and laws to follow in everyday life. Teachers are there to enforce school policy and rules whether you like them or not. Students need to understand why they're at school. There is a time for learning and a time for play.

And some people don't think the real world should be the way it is.
Also obviously you don't know what a middle school student is like, or IMHO you will/have raised your kids wrong.

Edit- I just noticed you're a teacher.
What's wrong with showing kids a little bit of respect? TALKING to them?
Nope. Just show authority. These kids aren't the same kids you were, or went to school with when you were a MIDDLE schooler. Most of these kids grow out of this by highschool.

Also food for thought, maybe it's not the students that are the problem, but the education system?
edit on 15-1-2011 by Anttyk47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
Im so proud of the youth of tomorrow, finally we have a generation which wont all kneel down blindly to authority and accept their enslavement and indoctrination like most of our previous failing generation did.

Cartwheel all ya like kids !!

One basic fact that cannot be ignored is that children from an early age need Boundaries in order to Feel Safe. When insufficient boundaries are in place the kids will push the envelope to find a solid boundary in order to feel safe again. Hence why so many kids are out of self-control because they never found suitable boundaries.

This is not about slavery to Indoctrination although that is a massive part of our Culture from birth.. and it is something I do think we all need to break free from.

But.. and a big but it is too.. breaking well established rules of behaviour that are there for the benefit of the whole is not how you go about breaking free from the Indoctrination.

What you are supporting is Anarchy, which is divisive and always leads to violence. How about finding a Balanced middle-road approach instead?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Odd, at my school, the kids act in the complete opposite fashion of whats been described here.
I go to a high school in California, in fairly small town, but has alot of gang and drug problems that you would find in most inner-city schools. Almost no one acts out in class, or talks back to teachers, nothing of the sort!
Even the 'gangsta' kids and drug dealers are mostly respectful and there hasnt been any fights or students arrested for quite sometime.
The problem with the school though, is that every single day is exactly the same. I mean, I could write out where I would be and where everyone would be in school, minute by minunte. You do the exact same thing over and over and over and over everyday until school ended. Walk the same route to class, stand in the same spot, see the same people like it was clockwork! I would tune out on monday and next thing i know it is friday!
Me and my fellow classmates are perpetual zombies, just shuffling around moaning and groaning as we repeated the day before.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
In life shouldn't you be able to do a cartwheel if you want too and no one gets hurt?

This generation is just what the world needs. It is far better for a child to be defiant than to be a good little soldier who believes everything he or she is told and follows orders. They are questioning the system because they are more sophisticated and communication is so open now days. 20 years ago we were worried what a parents would do to us...there was mystery and fear. Now children know exactly how their parents will react and are not afraid of their parents. Nor should they be.

My child is homeschooled so that said child can do cartwheels ask questions, talk when they want to and study the things that excite them about this big wonderful world. Schools need to be smaller and more conversational and less militaristic( not really the right word-thinking less rigid).

I hope these defiant children get the education they need to be free thinking adults who will not take any garbage from TPTB.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by KayTS

Your assessment is right on. After reading a number of posts on this issue, it seems like we're seeing the change of this generation in schools across the board. It's very concerning because of the increasing percentage of students who just don't care. What some members here don't realize, is we live in a society that relies on educated people in order for our world to progress into a higher existence for the common good. Until technology progresses to the point where we can automatically download our youth with all the information they need to contribute to society, we will still need teachers.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Being rude and disrespctful doesn't change anything. It doesn't make the teacher do anything different. All it does is take away from those that want to learn things like poetry, art, math, and science. It takes away the time that a teacher spends teaching the constitution and other important things.

You would deal with the issue more effectively by raising your hand and saying, "Excuse me, but according to Dr. XYZ their is evidence that Leif Ericson was the first European to discover North America." That is how you challenge the authority and change things. It opens up the opportunity for discussion. Believe me a lot of teachers want to teach kids that Leif Ericson made it to the continent before Columbus, and that Columbus landed in the Caribean. However, their forced curiculum tells them to teach a certain way. If a student asks though they can expand and "clarify."

I get tired of people claiming that school is a human rights violation. Attempting to educate people is not a human rights violation. If all you do is take what they teach and regurgitate it, that is your fault. If you take what you are taught and use the skills to learn more you are ahead of the system. Use algebra to learn linear thinking and problem solving. Use history to understand the present. Use the gift of literacy to expand your world through research.

School does offer a lot to self motivated people. The current system is in serious disaray, but it offers a lot when teachers are allowed to do their job. I honestly believe I turned out as a much better person because of my third grade, fifth grade, and eighth grade history teachers. My eighth grade NC History teacher taught me that it was okay to think outside of the box. Because of him I learned that it was okay to question history and to admit that I interpereted the impact differently.

My ninth grade English teacher was a god send. That year she made me feel accepted for me. Something I hadn't felt at home in years.

My principal - from third through fith grade - taught me so much about fairness and forgiveness that I still owe him. He also taught me to appreciate this country's heritage and the promise that it holds.

Education is a gift. If you let it force you to become a cog that says something about you. I went through the public school system and at times it was hell. At times it nearly broke me. I came out the other side and I came out stronger. I became determined to reach my full individual potential and determined not to stop any one else from reaching their's. I didn't understand it in those terms at the time. I was living it though. Thanks to the gift of education I am still living it.

So you and other's can complain about it being a prison system. You can call it a human rights violation. The truth is what makes it horrible is the unruly one's that destroy the chance to learn, the bad teachers, and those that don't use the basics to advance their own knowledge. If a person goes through school and become a cog in "the system" they were probably so lazy it would have happened any way.
edit on 15-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Oh my....to all of you commenting in the vein of "way to go kids...these kids are standing up to TPTB...."etc....wait until one of these kids is banging down your door to rob you. Will you then pat them on the back and say "way to go! Way to shake up the world and do whatever you want, when you want!" Do you even have children??

And to the others saying it's bad parenting...I can only hope you are never faced with this situation yourself. I have 3 children. One of them is exactly as the OP has described. For no known rhyme or reason...he just is. The other 2 are exactly the opposite. We've raised all 3 the same...same disciplines, same rewards, same punishments....and have been battling this defiant, oppositional, disrespectful, raging young man for upwards of 3 years. I wouldn't wish this situation on my worst enemy....walk a mile in someone's shoes before making judgements

edit on 15-1-2011 by Michelle129th because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

What makes you think I don't respect my students? The last thing I want to do is have a confrontation with a student. I have enough stress breaking up fights and trying to motivate students to take their education seriously on a daily basis. Teachers are human, and depending on the stress of the day may not exactly come across the way you would like them to. People become stressed out at work, police may become stressed because they just finished breaking up a fight. Have you ever taken into consideration that maybe when someone doesn't come across politely they may be having a bad day? Part of being mature, is understanding that sometimes people aren't polite as we would like them to be. Not every person has the same personality. I had teachers that were really friendly and complete blow offs. I had teachers that were really tough and some that I hated. When I attended college, I realized it was the tough teachers who took the time to teach me and push me to do better, were the teachers that prepared me the best for college courses. You can't look at teachers like it's a personality contest. It comes down to how well do they prepare you to become successful after graduation.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by PinkAndBlack

They are finally realizing that blindly listening to what their superiors have to say just isn't as worth it as you try to teach them to believe.

It's not their fault you're an authoritative figurehead in a fascist prison machine that manufactures our youth into perfectly shaped cogs built to replace the old corroding ones once they crumble and wither away.

edit on 15-1-2011 by PinkAndBlack because: lu

If that was only true...

Unfortunately the unruly kids typically can’t see past the phone they have their face in, or their clique of friends they are trying to impress. Find a big city near you, go spend some time in a few of the lower socioeconomic area school, come back and make a report about how aware and awake the students are.

Without education, discipline or boundaries they will become no more than dependent (if not wards of the state) and useful idiots.

I know it is always the tendency for people to look at the younger generation and paint them with a broad brush. I do know a lot of very bright and responsible younger people, this applies to a small percentage of kids.

I do agree that often schools are a place of indoctrination, and I would love to see some reform. The Fed's takeover of the nation’s school systems has been an abject failure. No child left behind equals all children dumb down.

Oh, and someone mentioned the “free” school system. If you pay property taxes where I live, you know that education is not “free”. The US pays more than any other country per student for education, but the results are not even in the top ten… The system is broke…. Broken, or is it intentionally putting out citizens that don’t understand their history, their rights, even how decent people should treat each other? Or is that the topic of another thread?

edit on 15-1-2011 by 5MaveN5 because: public education

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I have actually thought a lot about the points that you're making here, and here's what I believe to be the crux of the problem. The children seem to be in charge over the adults now, and the adults have completely given up their authority. I see adults trying to deal with kids now adays, and they seem scared to me, scared to act, scared to punish. If you look at advertising, you'll also see this cultural training occuring where the portrayal of parents is one where they are constantly trying to win the approval of their children, and how the product being advertised helps achieve this. I just think that the bonds that we once had as a society and within our family units are completely dissolving, and I chalk that up to a furtherance of the signs of the times.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I was in middle/high school not too long ago so I'm familiar with the students behavior, and as a non american, I beleive that the reason for the behaviour is very clear. It's all about the culture/society and how you're raised, in America younger people aren't always raised to have complete respect for their elders, this would include teachers. Of course there's always students that cause some trouble in the normal range in every culture.

In north america, student behavior can get really out of hand because the kids just really don't give an f! They know you can't touch them or swear at them, threaten them, scare them,etc. + if they're raised like brats it gets worse. In university, no one misbehaves in class, why? Is it because we are more mature or is it because we have freedom + concrete regulations. I know for sure that I if I do anything stupid It will immediately have grave consequences, and its not worth the risk. In high school, whats the risk of swearing at your teacher? detention/ 3 days suspension( 3 day vacation basically)?. Big deal. That's how the kids see it. You need to have clear, set in stone regulations and make sure the students are aware. Our university has a 2 strike rule, if you mess up twice, you're out and it will forever be on your records. If they start doing the same whit middle school, there should be some changes. Let the student know that if you make your math teacher cry you will instantly be kicked out of school, and that isn't a cool thing.

Edit: This is probably off-topic, but I'm gonna say it anyways since some of you are teachers. I also believe the school system as a whole(even university) is somewhat primitive, it doesn't really encourage creativity, it's very linear and the students are thought the same exact thing over the years, follow a very linear path with like 2 or 3 directions you can take that leads to whatever the system has set up for us ..but that's another topic I guess.
edit on 15-1-2011 by snakeyeswatchingyou because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-1-2011 by snakeyeswatchingyou because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join