It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We a Version of the SIMS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Very compelling and entertaining website with the theory that earth, the solar system the universe is all part of a computer programme with a supervisor. Makes sense when I read it as there are limits on what we can do to find out more ie? our bodies are to feeble to travel vast distances through space, why can't we see the infinity of space etc... If you think in logical computer programming, gaming scenarios, you have to put limits on the game so they SIMS are never aware that they are a simulation? Read and comment......

www.ipod.org.uk...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

The question is Will you take the Red pill or the blue pill?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think the leader in this thought is Oxford Professor Nick Bostrum who has a neat page of links for those interested in this topic.

Two for ATS:

Living in a Simulated Universe. John D. Barrow (2007) in Universe or Multiverse? ed. Bernard Carr (Cambridge University Press): pp. 481-486. [pdf] ABSTRACT. We explain why, if we live in a simulated reality, we might expect to see occasional glitches and small drifts in the supposed constants and laws of Nature over time.

How to Live in a Simulation. Robin Hanson (2001) Journal of Evolution and Technology, Vol. 7. [html] [pdf] ABSTRACT. If you might be living in a simulation then all else equal you should care less about others, live more for today, make your world look more likely to become rich, expect to and try more to participate in pivotal events, be more entertaining and praiseworthy, and keep the famous people around you happier and more interested in you.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

A very interesting subject. We may soon have actually scientific proof that this 3 dimensional world is actually a hologram with the experiments going on with the Particle Collider owned by fermilab.Whether or not they will release the information into the public domain is a different matter.
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
holometer.fnal.gov...

Also Japan has invented holograms that you can touch which also can relate to this subject www.fastcompany.com...

So only time will tell if this theory can be proven
I for one welcome the truth , no matter how obscure it actually is
Take Care Regards
edit on 15-1-2011 by maythetruthbeknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Thanks guys for such prompt replies. WOW, the amount of reading on this subject is vast. I read Bostrum's paper and it makes sense that we will never reach post human evolution as we are a simulation. The threads on ATS all report a 'feeling' that something is going to happen? The 2012 world apocolypse theories, extreme weather, earthquakes, planets aligning, disease like Swine Flu, Niburu, they all make perfect sense now.
We have reached our 'capacity' in technological advances and creating a virtual world were we could all live after the Apocolypse is basically SIMS 2.
Think of games you have played on your Playstation? There is always a destruction or a resurrection of the game into a new level/series? World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Fable, Fallout, Myst and the Sims itself are all multi version games that you all know and love to play. Whoever is playing this game is having a whale of a time!
edit on 15-1-2011 by kalenga because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
As above, so below.
On Earth, as in Heaven.
Reality is of fractal nature.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I came to this realisation few years ago, iv done a bit of reading into holographic universe / simulated reality philosophies.

It puts a question mark on what this physical reality is. Cern still hasnt found the higgs boson, the particle that explains what weight / mass actually is, physicists cant agree on why things have substance. Only one thing is sure, and that is our conciousness...

I think, therefore i am.

So where is our conciousness, in a vat?

I think a lot of religious traditions / teachings kind of point to this as well... Jesus taught that we are no part of this world. I think some hindu's believe that reality is just a dream..., we live in an egg, collecting experiences until the time comes for us to hatch into a god. Mystics and shamans believe in a separate reality. Plato called this reality a prison, all we are perceiving is like watching shadows on a wall of the cave.

I think/hope there maybe a 'glitch' / 'cookie' / 'easter egg' to be found in our reality that shows us a glimps of what is outside this box of reality. Maybe meditation or drugs will show us. Or just wait until we die.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
You must have read my mind but your explanation is way better,it seems unreal but might reveal the true nature of the mysterious,ghosts,ufos,,orbs,...mmm Damn...hoey its from the same link as mine...nevermind
good info OP
edit on 15-1-2011 by gringoboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
odd, i just made this statment to a warcraft guildie yesterday. When expressing my joy for my new PC, he replied with maybe god likes PC games, and i said back maybe we are just Sims to the gods. If anything though to me this affirms precognitive powers or synchronization further

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kalenga

LOL! I don't know if I believe that, but my husband and I have speculated this. It's funny that so many people that you interact with seem to run on a "program". They act like MPC's.

They have a scripted series of responses triggered by certain social stimuli that always seems to go the same.

Random Person in Public (RPP)-"How are you!"

My Response-(MR)

RPP-"Good." "Do you have any kids?"

MR

RPP- "Oh really? How many?"

MR

RPP- *Insert positive acknowledgement--"Oh-how-nice-that-must-be-nice-etc..." and then... "Boys or girls?"

MR

RPP- "Oh. How old are they?"

MR

RPP- "Oh that's a fun age." (Which seems to be the programmed signal to end the conversation.)

If you do not answer appropriately, say... answer 37 to the question "how many" you can almost watch "Does not compute" start flickering in their eyes, and expect smoke to start pouring out of their ears. Either that, or they just continue blithely on with the "program" which is rather creepy to watch. I've tested it. Too funny. It's things like that that make me wonder if some people aren't actually "real".

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by doorhand

Hi doorhand, Your comments got me thinking to a dream I had about my brother who died in June last year aged only 39.
I had meditated that night before I went to sleep and asked my brother to come into my dream and tell me where he was, what was it like and if he was alright?
I then had the most vivid dream, like it was real. I was back in time, to the 1990's at my parents house. I was not a person but an observer watching the goings on of that day.
I watched my dad reading the paper, my mum making tea and then the front door clicked and in walked my three brothers, my son who was about 10 then and my husband (now ex).
They had their fishing gear and they had spent a day out at a local river fishing all day.
They relayed the day to my dad who wanted to know if they had caught anything etc...
I then had my brother stand beside me. We were invisible to the goings on all around us.
It was like watching a video recording but we were in the middle of the scene as welll!
I asked my brother so why are we here? He said: 'This is one of the times I go back to again and again as it was one of the best days of my life.'
I replied: So you can travel in time?
He said: Yes, but I can only go backwards, not to the present or future.
I asked him where he was now and he said that he had told me enough already, but when my time came I would find out all about it then.
I pleaded with him to tell me more but he said we are not meant to know anything about what happens after we 'leave' here.
He seemed happy and back to his usual self not like he was before he died.
I woke up at this point and tried in vain to get back but it was not to be.
I was not present on this day as I was most probably working, so I asked my son and one of my brothers and they confirmed this exact scenario right down to them enjoying that day as much as he did!!
So, if the holographic, SIM like reality is true then this dream makes perfect sense?
Anone else have any strange dreams or experiences of glitches in the program etc...?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I came to that conclusion after the game came out first.

Not very far from the sims in reality to what could be a universe, as its just energy and if you had a big enough computer why not.

I think most definitely humans are not running the show, but also we are lead to believe chaos exists, when i do not think it really does, to them anyway.

Of course if you had a smart enough computer everything that happens must be mathematical in nature and must have an equation to it. So its very possible that we are computer code, sick but very possible.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I dont know about all of that, but one of my kids.. the teen.. thinks up new and funny ways to kill her SIMS off. Like a house with no bathrooms and etc. I didnt think the no nbathroom house would work, but the sim laid there, wet the floor and croaked.,, they cant be programmed to go outside and water a tree

I should probably watch this kid pretty close.. and you all better hope The Maker of you SIMS isnt like my kid..

CX

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Reminds me of a thread posted a while back here on ATS by member NoRegretsEver....

*Clones Of Everyone In A SIM Game Run By...

Welcome to Sentient World Simulation. Similar to the popular strategy games like Sims City and Roller Coaster Tycoon, the US Department of Defense is currently constructing a truly global simulation. In this virtual world, the simulation is creating a copy everybody in an alternate simulated reality to see how long we can go without food or water, or how we will respond to disruptive events (weather, crime, cultural, etc.). Yes, this massive project is a parallel to planet earth, with billions of individual “nodes” to reflect every man, woman, and child

Simulation also replicates financial institutions, utilities, media outlets, even down to street corner shops. By applying theories of economics and human psychology, its developers believe they can predict how individuals and crowds will respond to various stressors (both good and bad). The hope is to see how the whole gestalt operates – which means the behavior of the whole as unpredicted by the individual behavior of the parts which make up the system. Kind of technical – but very, very interesting! Thank you for visiting and supporting Sentient World Simulation.

Source: Sentient Worlds Simulation

CX.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by kalenga

I've always wondered what would happen if you took both at the same time.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Boreas

Best experience ever!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by kalenga

I've always wondered what would happen if you took both at the same time.

Dunno... ask Alex Jones.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
On everyone's part. That was a very entertaining read! Imagine if it was true ? Imagine if things like the bible, video games, dreams etc etc, were trying to show us what we could actually be ? Like walking on water, hadokens(for all my fellow street fighter fans) or simply be like neo from the matrix.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I like that, lol.

I think it's possible we are in a simulation being supervised by something/god.. but if that's the case it is still reality because it's all there is to our lifes.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm glad to hear that my kid isn't the only one who likes killing her sims. Mine puts them in a swimming pool, then removes the steps and build a wall around the pool... they drown.

Often wondered if we are like the Sims, maybe each with our own Godlike controller. God often seems like a sadistic entity, just like my kid killing off her sims while having fun doing so....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join