It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act

www.rawstory.com

Rep. Mike Rogers (R-MI) has introduced a little-noticed bill that intends to once again renew controversial provisions of the Bush administration's USA Patriot Act that are due to expire this year.

When the act was first signed into law, Congress put in some "sunset" provisions to quiet the concerns of civil libertarians, but they were ignored by successive extensions. Unfortunately, those concerns proved to be well founded, and a 2008 Justice Department report confirmed that the FBI regularly abused their ability to obtain personal records of Americans without a warrant.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Not a word... The only postings to this on news are the Examiner and Raw Story.. This is a travesty. Why are normal Americans from all walks of life not complaining that there are laws on the books cooked up to take away liberties 10 years after the fact. Is it too much Fluoride in the water?

Anyway, at least I can do a micro bit by helping the word get out.. hopefully some opposition will emerge, though S510 passed even when there was tremendous opposition..

Hard to argue with everyone being so enslaved just to pay off mortgages and debt being able to put up a fight...

www.rawstory.com

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by R_Clark

Not a word... The only postings to this on news are the Examiner and Raw Story.. This is a travesty. Why are normal Americans from all walks of life not complaining that there are laws on the books cooked up to take away liberties 10 years after the fact. Is it too much Fluoride in the water?

Anyway, at least I can do a micro bit by helping the word get out.. hopefully some opposition will emerge, though S510 passed even when there was tremendous opposition..

Hard to argue with everyone being so enslaved just to pay off mortgages and debt being able to put up a fight...

www.rawstory.com

Thanks for the find.

To answer your question, my fluoride filter is on the way

And also, I try to avoid the news most of the time because it makes me sick. We are controlled through our media. I get mine off the web most of the time because at least then I control its delivery- so if I am not looking for it I might not find it.

*edit* I am surprised they even put any sunset revisions to begin with. Maybe the libertarians can cause a stink and prevent this BS.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Whitbit because: add

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

Disgusting but already a thread..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by R_Clark
Not a word... The only postings to this on news are the Examiner and Raw Story.. This is a travesty.

It is.... and the thing is, this has been happening for a decade now with little to no notice from the public. It is unbelievable that we still as citizens allow this to go on. I tell ya, if the Republicans ever had the best opportunity to prove they mean business in holding DC accountable, now would be the time, with a bill they originally introduced. They can help reverse the mess they brought upon this nation along with the Democrats, but somehow I don't see that happening. The patriot act will be renewed.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I am hoping that this renewal is turned on to the source of the terror and not the distraction as it has been. A lot of people are starting to wake up and a new division in congress between the corporations and the people is under way.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
i get a bulk of my winter reading just from the following two sites, detailing the extent of our challenges we face in trying to roll back the over reach of these almost rouge agencies within our security subculture.
ACLU - National Security Letters..

Top Secret America

although it doesn't always seem to be covered in the mainline/mainstream daytime media fodder, it is not being ignored.

and if you like staying up late reading about related national security issues might i suggest this great site with many wonderful links:

Almanac of Policy Issues

near the bottom portion of this site are great links that can also provide hours of nail biting, spine chilling, hunched over your computer reading...

The National Security Archive at George Washington University: Provides access to government documents declassified under the Freedom of Information Act(FOIA)in the form of electronic briefing books. The text of the FOIA itself is also available, as well as guidelines for requesting documents from the Government

Bush Prevention Doctrine (White House: September 17, 2002)
International Criminal Court: A Fact Sheet (U.S. Department of State: May 6, 2002)
War Powers Resolution (November 7, 1973)
History of the National Security Council 1947-1997: From the Office of the Historian, United States Department of State.

edit on 063131p://2011-01-15T06:30:17-06:00201101 by bladdersweat because: hey just adding some credible links here!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
All we can do is flood our elected representative with emails and faxes that are flat out ignored. We elect new BAR MEMBERS and get the same result... even though the newly elected PROMISED to bring about legslative reversals to secure America's freedoms. THAT MEANS THAT THEY DELIBERATELY LIED TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE.

AMERICA, ARE WE THAT EXPENDABLE? ARE YOUR CHILDREN?

DON'T YOU FEEL VIOLATED? AGAIN?!!

A STRONGER MESSAGE AND DETERANT IS NEEDED!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Here he is ATS: Mike Rogers

Give fluffy a piece of your mind!

WEDNESDAY, December 15, 2010 – U.S. Rep. Mike Rogers, MI-08, released the following statement today after House Speaker-designate John Boehner announced Rogers’ appointment to serve as Chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence:

“Speaker-designate Boehner’s confidence to appoint me to serve in such a critical position for America’s national security is humbling. It will be an incredible responsibility to serve as chairman as we work to get the oversight, policy, and funding right to provide our nation’s intelligence professionals with the tools and support they need. It is a great honor to serve with the brave men and women of the intelligence community who work every day around the globe to keep America safe from terrorists and foreign nations who seek to harm America and her interests.”

EDITOR’S NOTE: Chairman Rogers is a former Army officer and FBI Special Agent who investigated organized crime and public corruption in Chicago in the early 1990s. In Congress, Rogers co-authored the FISA reauthorization bill, helped author the USA PATRIOT Act and its renewals, wrote legislation creating the agency tasked with protecting Americans against biological and chemical threats, and was a leader in shaping the AFPAK strategy for fighting al Qaida and the Taliban in the rugged border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

edit on 15-1-2011 by Heyyo_yoyo because: add quote

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Please contribute to previously existing story Breaking Alternative News. Link HERE.

Thread closed.
edit on 15/1/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join