It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ronald Reagan's son: Alzheimer's seen during presidency

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Ronald Reagan

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Former President Ronald Reagan, who was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease five years after leaving office, showed signs of the condition while still in the White House, his son says in a new memoir.

In the book, "My Father at 100, a Memoir," Ron Reagan writes he had an inkling of trouble three years into his father's first term.

Later, watching his father debate 1984 Democratic presidential nominee Walter Mondale, "I began to experience the nausea of a bad dream coming true," Ron Reagan wrote.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15 Jan 2011 by Hellmutt because: fixed title

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Interesting article I found about Reagan's family knowing about his Alzheimer's as early as his first term as president.Although the Regan Presidential Library and the doctors who took care of him deny it and stick to the story about the disease only effecting him after he was president.It certainly makes me wonder just how aware he was as President.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

While not outright seeking to discredit Ron Reagans assertions about his father, it does bear mentioning that he, unlike most other "first children" seems to have a hunger for the limelight. This fact causes me, personally, to take anything he publishes, or says with a grain of salt.

My opinion is that, if this were a legitimate issue, there would be corroboration from some other inside source. Even if passive agreement. The absence of this corroboration makes me leery of Ron Reagans thoughts.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
IMO, he may have been starting to show signs of the illness back then but it would've never been to the extent that it would've affected his ability to run the country. The mild nature of the symptoms could've easily been percieved as something other than it really was. Even from a doctor's perspective.

The signs and side-effects would've been much more obvious to the myriad of politicians, representatives and administrative personnel he dealt with on a daily basis. Those people would've easily noticed the side effects had the illness been far along enough to cause him to be unable to do his job as president.

His family would've been the first to realize something was starting to be a little odd. So, to me, it isn't surprising that we're hearing this from his family.

-ChriS

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I am not a Reagan fan. However, I find this fishy. I have had several family members die with the disease. It is rare that a person lives more than fourteen years once the disease starts showing. So, for him to live 20 or more years with it would be a miracle of sorts.

I'm not saying he is wrong. Memory is a notoriously slippery thing though. What might have been the simple "absent mindedness" of a stressed out president may seem more sinister 25 years later.
edit on 15-1-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join