It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China to station troops in N Korea: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

China to station troops in N Korea: report

www.news.com.au

CHINA is in discussions with North Korea about stationing its troops in the isolated state for the first time since 1994, a South Korean newspaper reports.

The Chosun Ilbo newspaper quoted an anonymous official at the presidential Blue House as saying that Beijing and Pyongyang recently discussed details of stationing Chinese soldiers in the North's northeastern city of Rason.
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.abc.net.au...
edit on 15-1-2011 by whatisanameanyway because: linkage

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Surely this is a provocative move by the Chinese military, and indeed specifically intended as such.

Less dramatic than a missile off the coast of California I guess.

Chinese troops withdrew from North Korea in '94.

Are they there for a fight with the south or to keep a leash on their pet?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Probably there to take over if NK doesnt play well with others, after all would say a word if they did? All in all probably the easiest way out of this situation

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
They are seeking to deter U.S./SK aggression by using a back channel. It's a face saving move to use a 'leak' this avoids the apearence of seeking U.S. permission for troop movement while at the same time making the statement that they are behind NK. All legitimate military placements can be assumed such as nuclear submarines stationed off of our coasts.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
They are seeking to deter U.S./SK aggression by using a back channel. It's a face saving move to use a 'leak' this avoids the apearence of seeking U.S. permission for troop movement while at the same time making the statement that they are behind NK. All legitimate military placements can be assumed such as nuclear submarines stationed off of our coasts.

I doubt China needs to seek permission from the US for anything..
China may see who is the agressor, they would know more truth than what we are spoonfed..

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I agree. The Chinese don't have to ask the US for permission. The Chinese are a powerful entity in the world now. Economical and military. Maybe the Chinese warned the US not to get military involved. SK would have gone to war if it where up to them. I think they are, for now, tryong to keep the peace and retart dialogue. NK already stted they would like to talk again.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I would suggest that this will serve at least three purposes.

1) Chinese troops in North Korea will balance the presence of U.S. troops in South Korea.
2) Their presence in the North will serve as a similar deterrent to very aggressive military action by the South, as the U.S. presence is to the North (because if Chinese troops get attacked, even inadvertently, then China is definitely then involved...and the same for U.S. forces).
3) The Chinese are in a position, then, to apply direct pressure on North Korea if they get too far out of line...or to back "the people" if they decide to revolt against the new Kim at some point.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel
Probably there to take over if NK doesnt play well with others, after all would say a word if they did? All in all probably the easiest way out of this situation

I wouldn't really say take over, more like their presence and the whole agreement is a firm mental whipping back into like for north korea from the much bigger richer and more powerful tentative allies it has. China used to be able to tell NK to jump and NK would ask how high? Currently China says jump and NK decided if NK feels like jumping today.... ie NK is getting a little too big for it's boots, and China is firmly saying 'seriously quit it, nukes don't grow on trees and those Americans just love parking aircraft carriers where we don't want them'.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Oh, how convenient...

Just as China grows to one of the world's leading powers, and the U.S. falls victim to recession, the Korean conflict grows to an increasingly aggressive standoff between North and South.....and then China moves their pawn one step further, into the northeast section of their ally.

It seems like it really might just be one giant chess game...

I can even recall a man named Lindsey Williams warning of a situation like this arising, among other things. I can't find a link for pc, only for my mobile, but he has a series of audio files on youtube.

I'm sorry, I don't know what it is, but this situation with the Koreas is just getting me a little worried...

It seems like a very realistic situation, and the conspiracist side of me would like to reason that it's being eased upon the public in a very slow and discreet manner...

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, star and flag.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
and China is firmly saying 'seriously quit it, nukes don't grow on trees and those Americans just love parking aircraft carriers where we don't want them'.

China doesn't like aircraft carriers operating in what they consider their "sphere of influence", but they hate American submarines. For that, China truly has no answer. They can't do anything about them.

The US sent a signal to China, something akin to the day back in the 1980s when every American sub trailing a Russian boat sent an active ping.

Last summer, all on the same day, 3 SSGNs, Ohio, Michigan, and Florida simultaneously revealed themselves, encircling China.

www.time.com...

China is a rising economic super power, but its military is a far cry from being able to credibly challenge US hegemony. Maybe in another 30 years.

I think China is moving troops into DPRK for its own benefit, not to help defend against South Korean and US aggression. DPRK has clearly been the aggressor lately. One of their subs cowardly sunk a S. Korea warship. China does not want to risk a war over N. Korea due to Kim Jong Il's miscalculation. The Chinese troops will prevent a mass exodus into China in the event the Pyongyang regime falls. They don't it to happen. They like having a buffer, but if the # hits the fan, I doubt China will involve themselves to the same degree as the original Korean War. They've got a lot more to lose now by angering the US. Their economy depends on us as much as we depend on them. Thanks Richard Nixon.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Obama has recently stated in the media that France (of all countries) is America’s strongest ally.
The US Navy has also been involved in training with South Korea in the face of North Korea. This despite ongoing tensions between the two in the last few years.

What we have here, it would seem, is two world powers choosing side… Lets hope this is not the case.

top topics

join