It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human 'Stampede' in India Kills 100

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Apparently this is a usual occurence at these religious festivals they have in India.

This was a Hindu festival and some idiot drove a jeep into the crowd and all the religious nuts just ran like cattle over the top of each other.

news.yahoo.com...

I think this is a perfect illustration of what an outrage it is that 'religion' in all its forms still blights us as a species, and how backward it really is. Tantamount to behaving like a dumb animals. i.e. lets all go somewhere and stand around together in thousands like penguins, why? because we have always done that.

I challenge anyone to give one example of how religion of any type has been benificial to any country on this planet in the last 100 years. All it ever is detrimental, and destructive. A means of control.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
sounds like human stampedes happen often there... is that how it is in overly crowded areas? yet another reason for population control.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

...who would be stupid enough to crowd around in large groups and behave like animals?....let's see here...

Oh man....it looks like this sort of thing happen all the time when religion isn't even involved. Hmm maybe it's a human problem and not a God problem?

And to answer your other question, about how religion has ever helped a country...ummmm where do you think America got its Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence from?
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights"....where do you think these rights come from???????????????????????
This nation was founded on a strong belief in God. Sorry, you are just dead wrong my friend.
In fact the if you do some research on our founding fathers, every single on of them had a strong faith in God.
I rest my case.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Its Madness that this many people was killed in this stampede but, unfortunely it happens quite a bit in India which is concerning because it is becoming a real problem other there. All these people crushed by stomping feet it really is unacceptable
Many more people will be killed unfortunely if kind of things continue.
edit on 15-1-2011 by keelan55 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I think it may be more about people panicking than people worshiping.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Did you hear about the one where people trampled others to buy a PS3 in Walmart?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

I don't understand why Christians are so eager to claim that this nation was founded as a Christian nation, especially when you consider that mass genocide and slavery was rampant here before and after our declaration of independence. I guess it was all part of God's plan:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

All you can do is scoff when people die?? You have no conception of the importance of social events either in India or your USA. Nor do you appear to have any humanity either.

You clearly have an axe to grind on religion, but if you don't know how important it is to a very many people on earth, giving them comfort while nothing else does, then you really are naive.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by angus1745
This was a Hindu festival and some idiot drove a jeep into the crowd and all the religious nuts just ran like cattle over the top of each other.

I think this is a perfect illustration of what an outrage it is that 'religion' in all its forms still blights us as a species,

I think this is a perfect illustration of what an outrage it is that some idiot drove a jeep into the crowd.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Torgo

I don't understand why Christians are so eager to claim that this nation was founded as a Christian nation, especially when you consider that mass genocide and slavery was rampant here before and after our declaration of independence. I guess it was all part of God's plan:

Are you kidding me? this used to be the greatest nation on Earth. Any idea why? Do you think it was just coincidence? No we were blessed as a christian nation. Unfortunately we are becoming more and more like ancient Sodom and Gomorrah. And btw slavery was only rampant in the south where plantation owners twisted the bible to suit their own desires. No where in the bible is slavery supported- not the kind that the south had. The kind of slavery that God was referring to in ancient Israel was more like indentured servant type. You would know this if you would read your bible!!
edit on 15-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The OT had a verse or so about beating your servants.

But I agree, as people turn away from God they seem to lose whatever advantages they have.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

And btw slavery was only rampant in the south where plantation owners twisted the bible to suit their own desires. No where in the bible is slavery supported- not the kind that the south had.

No, you're right, I doubt anyone would have blinked an eye back then had their "indentured servants" not survived for at least a day or two after a beating:

"When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." Exodus 21:20-21

I guess since the "indentured servants" they owned weren't Hebrew or Christian, it didn't matter though.

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." Leviticus 25:44-46

If I converted back to Christianity, would you be my "indentured servant"? Like the video I posted above states, you'd be strengthening your relationship with God, and I'll promise not to beat you if you don't complete your chores on time, even though Jesus was a big fan of corporal punishment for lazy "servants".

"The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." Luke 12:47-48
edit on 16-1-2011 by Torgo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Torgo

The social nuances were different back then.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I guess that's a no then. Look, I'll set you up with all kinds of benefits, I'll even give you a wife if you don't already have one. Just keep in mind that I'll be using her, and whatever offspring you have with her, as a bartering tool once your six years are up.

"If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever." Exodus 21:2-6

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Torgo

You could probably dance circles around me in bible knowledge. But there is one thing you are missing here...this is the true word of God. If there are any discrepancies, or seeming 'errors' why not take it up with the author? He is always listening.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Believe me, I tried, but he never answered. There might be a higher power, but Yahweh certainly isn't it. The more you read about all the atrocities the God of the Bible committed against his "beloved" creation, the more you realize that what you're reading are just the words of primitive men trying to justify the wrongs they committed and the wrongs that this world committed against them.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Religion is misinterpreted bull# & people are naturally stupid and naive. People stampeding each other to death at a religious festival (altho ironic) does not even surprise me.

top topics

join