It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans launch 'W ketchup'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
From BBC News: news.bbc.co.uk...

... In an appeal to Republicans, the sauce's website says "you don't support Democrats, why should your ketchup?"

That is a reference to Teresa Heinz Kerry - wife of the Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry. ...

I'm speechless! How petty is this?

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
methinks its less about pettiness and more about a solid marketing plan. but yeah, there's definatly *some* pettiness there. i mean.. now even ketchup is politicized? i mean come on... how many things do people buy which end up supporting something or someone they don't agree with? kraft cheese? owned by phillip morris. one well-known example of many. the only consideration i will give my ketchup is how it tastes and what it's made of. i'm sorry if this isn't responsible consumerism, but i draw the line here.

-koji K.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
'Freedom fries' with some W ketchup, with a can of Coke? Nope, nope, no, �Coke� with GPS tracking in it, someone might find the Bat cave it�s got to be �Pepsi�
We here can laugh at this, but you can bet somewhere in America someone is going to believe this nonsense :bnghd:

[edit on 10-7-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:17 AM
link   
as petty as this might be...this is just one incident out of countless other petty actions politicians have pulled.

whats sadder is people buy into it one way or another. they either think its petyty and hate the party all that much more or they buy into it and stop using ketchup/catsup.

why we even give these people any attention is beyond me. why we continue to let THESE people stay where they are is beyond me.

this isnt unusual, this is common place. just another reason to outlaw the smear campaign ads all together. if the best ANY candidate can do is to smear his opponent (and elts be honest, they all do this) then they dont deserve to hold an office. obviously their platform and plan of action doesnt speak for itself, not to say they actually reach out to us the american people actually do something for us once they get in.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
kraft cheese? owned by phillip morris. one well-known example of many. the only consideration i will give my ketchup is how it tastes and what it's made of. i'm sorry if this isn't responsible consumerism, but i draw the line here.

The funny thing is she does not controll operation at Heinz any more than Paris Hiltol has any sway over the hotel empire she is heir to. Its funny the company only contributed like 25,000 this year and 85% went to republicans so what is the big deal
www.opensecrets.org... facturing

Q

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I've always preferred Hunt's anyway.
It's got more of a bite to it, Heinz is too sweet. Same reason I prefer Coke over Pepsi, GPS notwithstanding.

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 01:36 AM
link   
What makes me laugh is that Bush is trying to make himself part of the Reagan legacy, and one of the Reagan snafus was attempting to get ketchup classified as a vegetable. And now, here comes "W" ketchup!

Really, I couldn't care less who owns Heinz ketchup. As a native Pittsburgher, I had the stuff on a regular basis, and it's one of the few things to which I'm brand loyal. Besides, if Ben & Jerry's can donate a portion of their ice cream proceeds for political & social causes, I see no reason why the same can't be done with ketchup.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
washingtontimes.com...

"Mr. Zachary considers his brand to be nonpartisan. He said the "W" in the brand's name stands for Washington � not the 43rd president."

"Mr. Zachary thought of the concept with a handful of friends at an April barbecue. "Every time we squeezed that bottle, we were giving a little to Teresa Heinz Kerry," he said.""

Bush didn't invent it, package it, name it, or offer it for distribution. So why bash him for it?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
kraft cheese? owned by phillip morris.

WHAT!!! You don't smoke? No cheese for you!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Who cares? Bush and his buddies are'nt making it. Some guy is, who wants to make a buck who just happens to be a Republican and a Bush supporter. Its called capitalism. Would you still be complaing if a guy made Clinton condoms?

With my ketchup, I've always bought Hunts. Its cheaper than Heinz and tastes better.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Yes let me do what they tell me, let me go boycott hienz right away. I am robot slave must do as programmed, over and out.

wtf is wrong with those assmongers, don't they have better things to do with their "valuable" time?

Heinz 57 is godlike, bow before it's might, A-1 steak sauce ain't got nuffin on 57! It's so bomb like in fact Agent 47 is considering changing his name to Agent57 as he revealed in a top secret u2u

Agent47: "You know what? Heinz 57 is the bomb, I should change my name."

Lysergic:"Hewls yeah, lets get some honky fries"

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is comparable to Anheuser-Busch being bashed and a comptetor naming their beer Kerry Brewing Co. or perhaps more comical...Anheuser-Shaven

All it is is a bunch of think-tanks up in their cooperate office towers twiddling their thumbs and thinking of how best to take advantage of the public's opinions and mass hysteria and make anohter buck or two - sad...

I say Bush bashers should go buy as much "W" as they can, then rally at DC and squirt all the ketchup on the white house......then all the congressmen will have to buy all the "freedom fries" they can get their hands on to clean up the mess
- The meal's on us guys! Eat up! I hope you choke on a fry and DIE!!!

[edit on 7/15/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   
the whole idea just sounds like the thoughts someone with way too much time on his/her hands, looking to use everything under the sun to bash the 'other guy'

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Who really cares? He's just a guy who does'nt like Kerry and came up witha clever gimmick to make so ketchup. Big deal. He can make kethcup, he can market it. Who are you all so concerned about a guy seling ketchup?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

"A report on CNN apparently showed one restaurant replacing French's mustard with a Heinz product."

A HEINZ PRODUCT!!

... and French's mustard had to deny any connection with France in order to avoid boycott. It's a conspiracy of monumental proportions!

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Actually, I think the whole 'W' ketchup idea is kinda funny!

What's the big deal? All's fair in war and politics, right?

It's just another clever marketing campaign. I'm sure the Dems will come back with something of their own.

And anyway, Kerry and his wife are laughing on their way to the bank. I'm sure they could care less!

Hey Prank Monkey! That is one *Awesome* Avatar!

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Cattlespy]

join