It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats In Your Time Capsule?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I was talking with my daughter, and wondering what she will know when she is in her 50's. I requested that in case of my passing, I would like for her to review all of my favorites, and pdf's, my books and journals, so that she can learn what I have learned.

In saying this, I wanted to know. What would you put in a time capsule? What would you want someone to know about this time, what we learned, what we've shared? Would it be political, philosophical? Would you want to share your thoughts on 9-11, or the JFK assassination? Aliens or Chem-trails?

What would you contribute to the next generation, that you think they might not access too?

BTW, as an assignment for my daughters, we will make our own time capsule and bury it by our home, with a note, some pics, and an essay of what this time means for all of us.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Being a musician, I might put an ipod with all of my music along with my favorites in there.
I hope future gens will still be able to play music in mp3 format or know what an ipod is.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I can see the eye rolling already but it's true - Facebook is my time capsule. That combined with my ATS postings will forever leave a footprint about my life, and her life. Our day to day activities, thoughts, feelings and evolutions of those thoughts, feelings, and ideas.

We are the first generations to leave such a succinct record of our lives complete with pictures, videos, and peer comments. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could go review similar detailed accounts of the lives of your great-great grandmother in the way that future generations will review ours? Of course I've already started a more intimate record for her in the way of a very cool Mother/Daughter book and my handwritten journals.

But this is something to be mindful of when updating your status or replying to or starting a thread now isn't it? As long as the internet is functional, we've found for the first time in history a bit of immortality for ourselves that only Shakespere, Plato or the like enjoyed before.

Happy Posting.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme
Being a musician, I might put an ipod with all of my music along with my favorites in there.
I hope future gens will still be able to play music in mp3 format or know what an ipod is.

I'm sure there will be some holographic newspaper that they have in archives to find out what an i-pod is

But I think music is a great thing to leave behind. I mean this doesn't have to be that serious. Something you enjoy, maybe a video, or photo that made you laugh. I sometimes worry that we have nothing to pass along, and if the internet is going where I think it is, the next generation might not have as much freedoms as we have now.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67

I can see the eye rolling already but it's true - Facebook is my time capsule. That combined with my ATS postings will forever leave a footprint about my life, and her life. Our day to day activities, thoughts, feelings and evolutions of those thoughts, feelings, and ideas.

We are the first generations to leave such a succinct record of our lives complete with pictures, videos, and peer comments. Wouldn't it be amazing if you could go review similar detailed accounts of the lives of your great-great grandmother in the way that future generations will review ours? Of course I've already started a more intimate record for her in the way of a very cool Mother/Daughter book and my handwritten journals.

But this is something to be mindful of when updating your status or replying to or starting a thread now isn't it? As long as the internet is functional, we've found for the first time in history a bit of immortality for ourselves that only Shakespere, Plato or the like enjoyed before.

Happy Posting.

There's nothing wrong with FB being your time capsule, as there will always be a way to get those files. And yes, being careful of some of what is said is important LOL. I think that its great that you have already started this with your daughter. I think its important that we share more personal things with those we love, that can be later looked at and remind us of good times.

The internet is one thing, but personal moments can always be treasured, or revived years later, and looked at and maybe even add more as time goes by.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Agreed. While the internet is a wonderful tool for this purpose I think it's important to hand down things of a more tangible nature. Things that can be touched and smelled for those are powerful memory triggers. When I smell a baking ham it always bring back warm fuzzy feelings of Xmas as a child. I'm not going to become a hoarder however, I still can't toss out a few of her very tiny dresses from when she was a baby. I've also still held onto a homemade dress my mother made for me in Kindergarten.

Thanks for this reminder. I had at one time been very into making scrapebooks which included not only pictures but tickets and mementos from places we visited and vacations. She loves looking at these today I need to resume making new ones. As you stated who knows if our children and future generations will have access to the internet as we do today or even if it will exist at all if you subscribe to any of the future gloom and doom theories.

My own mother transitioned in 2006. Her last words were that she was afraid my daughter, three at the time, would not remember her. I promised her she would and we have a little cheer we say from time to time "We love you Nana, we miss you Nana, we remember you Nana." What seems to be the most powerful memory triggers for my daughter are the videos we made of the two of them during the holidays. We have videos of my mother, a few pictures of my grandmother, only one or two pictures exist of my great grandmother and prior to that, nothing of previous generations except for some wonderful lore that I think is important to pass down. So much of our own current actions can effect future generations in ways we don't even conceive at the time.

The lore sounds straight out of a gothic novel. My great-grandmother came from a very wealthy family. She fell in love a with a full blooded Native American Indian who was hired help. She was forbidden to continue the relationship and ended up marrying him, being disowened from her family and subsequently lived in poverty which continued for another generation. How I would love to read her journals - if only they existed.

Sometimes when alone in the kitchen, prehaps preparing for a Thanksgiving meal, I can almost feel the reverberations of the females who came before me. I know it may sound odd but something me and my daughter do each year before making Xmas cookies is to take a moment, hold hands, and invite the spirits of those ancestors who came before us - inviting them to join in our merriment.

As vain as it might be, I too like my mother before me - do not wish to be forgotten.

edit on 1/15/2011 by Whisper67 because: Never met a post I didn't edit for spelling.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

Thank you for that, that was beautiful. It is not vain for someone to not to be forgotten. We effect the people in our lives at all times, and its important to know what each other feels, as without that you can be remembered for the wrong thing.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Would probably be the journals that have kept over the years of places Ive been, people that met and things that have seen.. Next would be a traditional brushpainting that did of the local landscape , my flute that carved along with my jade guan kong pendant and finally a short note : when we come into this world we have nothing.. when we leave this world we take nothing with us.. what matters is that we do our best to make the world a bit better place along the way..
Probably not much compared to what others will leave.. But havent got much and am content with what I have..

top topics

join