It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finding Spirituality at 19

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Am drunk so here goes. I turned to seeking 'oneness' at 19 as it fills what i've lost and replaces a verbally abusive mother who kicked me out where i'm now paying for food with pennies and a father who last I heard is near Crack ODing and no idea where he is. My whole family just seemed to.. neglect me and never show me any love or hugs EVER so once kicked out, I stumbled onto this spirituality path. Now after reading plenty, I STILL can't shake the feeling that I should get over this but there's also the fact I'm only 19, still growing and still having holes left that have never been filled. A part of me thinks I should get over it and just accept it and run into the Canadian outback to 'find' myself and the other just wants to know whether I'm being irrational about wanting a bit of sympathy/love. I believe this is holding me back from my own advancement, how my young age and finding spirituality clash together and I can't get over it. Does it matter the age you find your spirit/soul at or does it actually as you need to fill those childhood holes first before finding yourself? I'm lost and can't advance any further.. And this is coming within so glad I can finally speak MYSELF. I look 15 so everyone thinks they can just walk all over me because I'm still a 'kid' but I'm my own person and have found my spirit.. But it's rubbed off on me. All I'm asking is if it's taboo to think I've found myself at 19 or should I just fall into the path of the ego until I get older? Help is much appreciated for self growth..

If this is the wrong forum, just move it please. I looked though and this seemed to be the most relevant.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
From personal experience, once you've found yourself, stay there. I put that off when I was younger, and it's taken me years to reclaim it. You can get mighty lost along the way.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Sorry about your life man...we all have to go through tough times. It's just a sad fact of life. It's unfair and there's nothing you can do about it. It's not weird that you found spirituality at your age...but I wouldn't go run off into the wild alone or anything...I would suggest you look through the new testament...maybe God will speak to you there? He does promise that...I really hope that things get better for you man
edit on 15-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Well I think your well on way.19 and you already strive for self improve in spite of what you've already known. I'm no expert but I honestly believe that your not going to advance in your journey getting drunk. Alcohol and drugs will definitely block the sunlight of the spirit so to speak. Give that up and the voids will fill in eventually and you can continue your journey. Good Luck

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

You have all the answers within. One just needs to ask.

-a young meditator

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by freedish

I know bro.. I accepted that. It's just the main problem is accepting that while other teenagers are so fascinated with sex, drugs/whatever I find myself having a constant battle within to find myself as 'one with all' and spirituality and a part of me thinks it's entirely foolish to find yourself at such a young, ripe age. It's hard to describe unless the person reading understands and gets how 'older' people treat them at such a young age. It's just a clash of being young while finding your spirit where as most find it later on in life. I can't even describe the words.. It's beyond depressing. Lol

To Survival: thanks mate, maybe I just haven't been able to learn how to ask myself in full.. And to the one suggesting not drinking, I know
it's a rough patch though and ALOT of stress has built up.. while I've gotten over lust, I've haven't gotten over alcohol being the temporary feeling. Thanks though
edit on 15-1-2011 by OneLife because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

I would think the best time to realize we are the same thing is "now."

You are already an instrinsic part of all that is around you, why wait to align your perception to that?

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

I hear that man, that seems to be the culture...i don't know why. You seem like an intelligent caring person though- I think you are smart to avoid the mainstream. It sucks that people would treat you that way though, I'm blessed to have a loving family...but no one deserves to be treated like that. People can be cruel. I would say don't worry about what others think and follow be yourself...I finally found myself when I started reading the bible. There is much more to this world than these flesh bodies and monotonous lives.
edit on 15-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Keep your chin up.

We just remember what we were like back then.

And as you know, the alcohol will not be a solution for anything. I think its not a bad thing to remember to include yourself in the saying "love one another as I have loved you." Do it truly, and you can find many answers to questions you likely have not even asked yet

You can do it.
edit on 15-1-2011 by sinohptik because: the mice! the vectors!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Finding spirituality
You already are spiritual my friend, and seem far in advance of others of your age...
Having a drink or two, No problem, as long as you controlit and it doesn't control you.
heading to the outback, not a bad idea, time alone can be the greatest place to sort through your issues without any distractions.
The past is the past, what people have done to you and how they treated you is not always about you...and who knows, seems like it has been to your advantage in some respects.
But the most important thing is to find some other kindred spirits, just keep yourself open, but focused and they will come to your light.
Good luck and fortune to you my friend.
you are never alone.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Are you familiar with the law of one? www.lawofone.info... And what they say about catalyst?

The tough times will catalyze(accelerate) your spiritual growth, they will test you almost to breaking point but will be just enough for you to cope with. All spiritual sages/adepts through the ages tended to have horrible lives here at some point, its only because they were wired to cope with such extreme catalyst that they were dealt such, and usually planned it for themselves prior to incarnation. Sometimes it seems our eyes were bigger than our stomach when we loaded up the incarnational plate with challenges but rest assured its a living dynamic system that self adjusts, your never dealt more than you can handle.

The growth you will have experienced when you come out the other side will all have been worth it.
edit on 15-1-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I started a bit before my 18th birthday, which was about 7 months ago now, so no their is no such thing as "too early" to begin to find yourself and expand your mind and spirit. Absorb all the knowledge you can, but do not get caught up so much in one faith that you fail to explore the others. Every relgion contains truths of some form or another they are just all caught up in ceremony and overly complicated practices. Learn everything you can. research, Christianity, judaism, islam, buddhism, ancient greek and roman mythology, chinese mythology, any native americam practices, new age spiritulism, and yes science. Learn learn learn that is the beginning.

As far as coming to peace with yourself you need to explore yourself, take a figurative step back from your out of control emotions and try to understand them. look for the cause of everythign you think and feel, explore your past, come to terms with anythign that may have happened to you. Watch people, try to figure out why they act the way they do. You will begin to grasp psychology without even realizing it. reading people is the simplest thing in the world. You will be able to look at someone, their facial expression, the way they dress, the way they smell, and be able to give an outline of how they grew up and be able to read their personality to a t. All of this will essentially give you not only control of your emotions, but understanding. a whole new depth of feeling will open up to you.

finally, as simple as it is, start meditating, things come together when you meditate, it allows you to not only cleanse yourself but to also freely think and understand anything that may be troubling you. You don't need a teacher, a guide or someone to maybe throw your thoughts at, but not a teacher. Teachers ruin the learning experience by not allowing one to think for themself and come to answers for themselves, hell even most of what i'm typing now should be taken with a grain of salt. We do not learn, we only unlock forgotten knowledge

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

spirituality is a tricky thing it's like seeing a forest through the trees. It's difficult the things that it requires are usually acquired over large amounts of time and many many mistakes. To be humble sometimes requires being humbled to understand how to become a better person sometimes requires hardships in your own life be thankful for them because they're showing you the right way to do things yet as you get older you'll find that maybe you judge too harshly. spirituality is tricky even when you learn something new it's like taking two steps backwards because you have to rethink how to do things all over again.So in essence to be spiritual is a never-ending battle with yourself and your ideas. You can think of it as a painting that is never finished and is being reworked over and over and over again from scratch but every time the painting becomes more detailed more life like.being spiritual also means you have to be completely aware of yourself "know thyself comes to mind". This is the hardest part because you have to confront aspects of yourself and as you get older you begin the understand just how what how flawed you truly are. I'm no guru but I think you on the right track because you beginning to question your own thoughts and it took me to 27 to get where you're at.Now I'm working on my getting my intentions in order which is really hard sometimes we are not aware of our intentions and confronting them is well humbling when you think your a good person. good luck and hope you find the peace you are searching for.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Probably the best advice anyone can give you is "be careful!" There's no shortage of preachers who believe they've found the one true way to enlightenment and they'll happily share with you what they "know" so long as you promise obeisance. It sounds like what you're truly seeking after, in your heart of hearts, are people whom you can rely on and trust. Those with a spiritual bend may appear to offer easy friendship, warmth, and love -- but remember they're still human. They're just as capable of deceit, hate, and betrayal as much as any other person.

As a recommendation I'd suggest, first, find some work and gain a measure of stability. Once you can stand on your own two feet then consider venturing into the crazy non-physical world of inner exploration, but I'd caution think equally as much with your head as you do your heart. Your head will get you out of more pickles than your sense of place ever will.

Also, in my opinion, contemporary philosophy is a much better place to begin a spiritual journey than is diving in head first into a belief system that's going to be antithetical to anything that opposes the group ideology. Western philosophy is by no means perfect, and it may feel cold, but it will give you a logical-center that offers a sense of certainty that no religion ever could.

Real spirituality involves you making a personal connection to what Terrence McKenna poetically referred to as the "transcendental object at the end of time." This is something anyone can achieve whether it be through meditation, experiencing nature, deep thought, chanting, lucid dreaming, yoga, musical expression, or be it any other technique. Find what works for you, but take your time! The best way to measure how you're doing is to simply step back and ask, "Do I feel more liberated and at peace, or restricted and uncertain?" If your answer is closer to the first two then you're probably on the right track. Anything that provides greater degrees of self expression and freedom is almost always a positive spiritual-step forward.

As for my personal philosophy, obviously I'm not without bias
, check out the links in my signature. That's the closest thing I've found to a truth in this world.

Best wishes as you adventure out on your own! I'm sure you'll manage just fine.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Xtraeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
age wont stop u from finding

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Haha.. This one deserves a facepalm after waking up from that! Thanks much fellas.. Through the doubting of myself because I'm still young and even treated young (therefore unable to take myself spiritually) I forgot that it is indeed growth.. Some things you aren't even aware of when in a deep state of doubt. The stuff about just getting to your breaking point then coming out the other end spiritually is heavy.. It feels I still have a ways to go and it seems like utter hell, literally, even though it's what I truly want to do?? Much appreciative for the replies and keeping a straight face.. lol

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneLife
All I'm asking is if it's taboo to think I've found myself at 19 or should I just fall into the path of the ego until I get older? Help is much appreciated for self growth..

Yeah it's taboo because you don't think you've found yourself but you know it in a way it is not dependent on anyone else's opinion hence you wouldn't be asking yourself if it is a taboo to someone else. Why don't you just take it easy, there is so much about the human spirit to explore. If I were you I would study women as having a dominant mother myself without being aware of it for years has had an impact on the way I view women and I had to review and change that which to me was very difficult. Otherwise you might fall for the wrong woman for the wrong reasons, end up with a dominant girlfriend who would just abuse you. Best of luck on your spiritual path.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

Hey there OneLife (the irony of your username is not lost on me as I am a pastlife regression therapist
).

Personally I do not think that age matters when it comes to finding our spirituality ... we should not measure our age in years ... but in the lifetimes the soul has experienced and the lessons it has learned through them.

You may only be 19yrs old in this lifetime ... but your soul may well be ancient and has chosen to experience through your life to learn about the journey of the discovering yourself spiritually at a young age.

You might also find it interesting to know that most people who have genuinely found themselves spiritually (not the 'weekend hippies and the 'new-age wannabes') are quite often the ones who have experienced the most trauma (physically / psychologically / emotionally) ... certainly true for me ... and most of the spiritual people I know or have ever met.

It would seem that an easy life without hardship can put a block on spiritual growth and understanding ... so see the positives in your bad experiences ... because without them you would not be spiritually aware and mature enough to understand.

Well met my friend and good luck on your continuing journey

Brightest Blessings
Woodwytch

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OneLife

You have had some tough breaks. Try the following ideas:

Stay grounded

Get a job

Don't do anything rash

If you have any negative habits try therapy.

There are terrible and evil cultists who prey on the young. They appear warm and friendly.

Remember drugs and booze serve noth one.

If what I am saying makes sense good if not ask yourself why.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
First of all, congrats for the honesty and courage of your OP. As the Chinese once said, "a trip of a thousand miles begins with the first step" (paraphrase). Learn to relax and center yourself. That's very difficult for someone so young. Don't worry too much about setbacks, as we all seem to be locked into the two steps forward, one step back scenario. It's kinda like pealing an onion one layer at a time, very time consuming, and there are occasionally some tears. Try to learn and understand what it means to just "be". Be patient with yourself, yet be persistant. I have a bulldog type personality, and I found that when I tried to take on too much at one time I became overwhelmed. I am very fond of many of the Buddist concepts, but don't see Buddism as a religion at all. I consider myself a Christian even though I would probably fit into the "other" category. Meditation and Prayer can work hand in hand. My main prayers are to ask God to teach me the Truth every day, and to pray for a pure heart. Spirituality is more than a mental exercise. If God forgives us, we should forgive ourselves and others. Know thyself and learn to know God. To me, religion as such is nothing but ritual, so I'm not talking about religion at all. Some need the ritual, and that's fine. I have no problem with that. Be a seeker and learner, and keep your eyes, ears, senses, and consciousness open.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join