It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jedi's 4th largest religious group in the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
So I've been living the UK for 4 years now, but never knew that almost 1% of UK citizens are Jedi.

Source

Given what we know about the awesome superpowers of Jedi, should other countries be worried? I mean, the UK's Jedi population is far higher than that of any other nation apart from New Zealand with 1.5%. What really worries me though is that Scotland has 15 Sith lords who follow the dark side.

I'm obviously an atheist, but next time I have to apply for a Saudi Arabian business visa I'm gonna check the "other" box and proclaim to be a Jedi. Can only work better than when I wrote "atheist"

Also, no church taxes, yay \o/

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Nifty.

Gave you a star for admitting to being atheist.

New Zealand, here I come!

~Namaste
edit on 14-1-2011 by SonOfTheLawOfOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Well, Lucas did base Star Wars off a complex mix of many of our old legends and mythologies.

So it actually makes sense that this is a type of religion now.

May the force be with you.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Theres a religion based around smoking pot in Jamaica...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Actually, that church is based in Amsterdam (no joke). If you're talking about Rastafarians, don't be fooled. Yes, they do smoke a lot, but read up on their doctrines, they're all but "chilled out"

As for Jediism, I don't actually believe in it...but I want my lightsaber

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by Akragon

Actually, that church is based in Amsterdam (no joke). If you're talking about Rastafarians, don't be fooled. Yes, they do smoke a lot, but read up on their doctrines, they're all but "chilled out"

As for Jediism, I don't actually believe in it...but I want my lightsaber

erm...ok

i knew it was one of the two, possibly both?

I read once that the whole star wars thing was "inspired" by God... Jedi = JEsus DIciple...it was quite amusing

I think George lucas might have been in this pot church

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I remember the trouble we had here in Australia at the 2006 census with people saying you would be prosecuted if you put Jedi down as your religion. To me whoever made that threat should have been jailed for a very, very long time.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Dragon12 because: wrong year, must be getting old

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dragon12

I'm pretty sure with the right viral marketing you could get the % of Jedi a lot higher.

If a government told me I can put "Scientology" or Mormonism...but not Jediism, I'd tell them to shove that census form up their ass

OMG, religious prosecution in the UK!!

PS: Obv Jedis hate gays too and you're not allowed to eat shellfish on Tuesdays...why? Just because...

edit on 14-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
great ! humor...

is it officially recognized as a religion by the governments yet ?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
there is seriously something very wrong with British people now a days, I have to say

and it's not drugs !

I blame the parents

edit: en.wikipedia.org...

# In the drafting of the UK Racial and Religious Hatred Act, an amendment was proposed which specifically excluded Jedi Knights from any protection, alongside Satanists, Scientologists, sexists, racists, and believers in animal or human sacrifice.

# On March 7, 2010, the international church of Jediism was excluded in an act protecting organizations such as the Church of Scientology from discrimination. A Times report referring to the decision said "beliefs had to be heartfelt"

# On March 17, 2010, Chris Jarvis, a member of the Church of Jediism was thrown out of a Jobcentre

get a friggin J O B

edit on 1/14/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Well, Jediism fullfils a lot of the requirements other religions fullfil:

1) Got followers...check
2) Based on a book/movie...check
3) Not backed up by facts/evidence/logic/rationality...check
4) Doctrines...check

I see no reason why Jediism shouldn't be allowed if Scientology, Christianity, Islam, Mormonism, Buddhism, and Hinduism are allowed. At least they now have their own census code in the UK, justice at last.

Anyway...

Given that there's 15 Sith lords in Scotland...don't you think we should totally invade Ireland to make sure the evil terrorists...sry, I mean Sith lords don't hurt us?
edit on 14-1-2011 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

sorry folks...

we are no longer accepting applications for new faiths at this time !

nor even considering ones that are not "heartfelt"

edit on 1/14/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a load of my friends and I filled out our census returns at the local pub and most of us put Jedi down in the religious section (obviously it being done in a pub there were some very strange census returns). Blame the cider not the force

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
a load of my friends and I filled out our census returns at the local pub and most of us put Jedi down in the religious section (obviously it being done in a pub there were some very strange census returns). Blame the cider not the force

The UK census wouldn't be representative of the population if they weren't filled out at pubs

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Sorry, I found a really nice Jedi handbook but the link won't work. It was downloadable too

edit on 15-1-2011 by berenike because: link wouldn't work

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I do actually consider myself a non-theistic, non-spiritual Jedi....yes, I'm a massive Star Wars nerd. Yes, I'm preordering the films on Blu-Ray...yes, I have a lightsaber (two actually), but it doesn't cut anything. I like the ideas of the Jedi philosophy as outlined by all of the material, so long as they're divorced from the non-material aspects.

...though, within the universe Jedi would be atheistic as the Force is a measurable, demonstrable part of the natural world...hell, they'd basically be materialists.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
so we have a few professed atheists who claim they are Jedi ?

well I hate to break it to everyone but Jediism observes a supernatural force as a (Deity)

guess it's down to choice then ?

it would seem one can't be an atheistic Jedi

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Sarcasm isn't always easy to figure out on forums I guess

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

hey that's cool... Jedi's are alright by me.

I was reading about the Jedi Way last night and they consider themselves beings of "light" though they do not claim to be the actual supernatural power the observe as "the force"

I also like how it is written into their code they are to be defenders of justice and truth...

this all sounds so familiar, since I like the Jedi I think I will assimilate their philosophy and ad it to my own.

you see I am a Trekkie, though Star Wars was cool and all but I like better the issues and morality Star Trek deals in

stand for something or become nothing... (that should be in the Jedi code)

edit on 1/17/2011 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

join