It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A new article on CNN about ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This has just been put up on CNN. It talks about Jared Loughner's involvement with ATS. It does not paint us in a bad light though. What do you think?

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinkarella

edit on 1/14/2011 by Pinkarella because: because it was unnessary

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Edit out because they updated the article with more mentions of ATS
edit on 14-1-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Abovetopsecret.com focuses on "alternative news" and information "not covered by the mainstream media," Allin said. He noted that all the postings attributed to Erad3 originated in Loughner's hometown of Tucson.

Those messages from Erad3 -- riddled with grammatical errors -- often became the object of ridicule, scorn or sympathy from other contributors.

"The ranting about proof, (your) inability to make a coherent sentence gives you away red handed," one person wrote. "It won't be long (until) you have been banned once again."

Unlike some of his posts as Dare on the Earth Empires site, the comments from Erad3 on didn't mention violence. But they do reflect a strong urge to break free of any restraints -- real or imagined -- imposed by government officials.

Hmmm....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Dare is approximately the inverse of the name Erad3, which was used on another website, abovetopsecret.com. Mark Allin, that site's co-owner, said he believes Erad3 is Loughner.

Between February 2009 and September 2010, Erad3 made assertions such as that NASA had never flown a manned space shuttle mission, there was no Mars rover, and people can make their own currency.

Abovetopsecret.com focuses on "alternative news" and information "not covered by the mainstream media," Allin said. He noted that all the postings attributed to Erad3 originated in Loughner's hometown of Tucson.

Those messages from Erad3 -- riddled with grammatical errors -- often became the object of ridicule, scorn or sympathy from other contributors.

"The ranting about proof, (your) inability to make a coherent sentence gives you away red handed," one person wrote. "It won't be long (until) you have been banned once again."

Unlike some of his posts as Dare on the Earth Empires site, the comments from Erad3 on didn't mention violence. But they do reflect a strong urge to break free of any restraints -- real or imagined -- imposed by government officials.

Nothing bad..But it's worth noting ATS traced his IP back to source..
Were ATS asked to do this??
Do they do it often??
Worth an answer from ATS..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Maybe the mods can move this for you. I haven't read any media reports re Jared putting ATS in a bad light or any other website he went to for that matter.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist- it's just a fleeting reference- nothing sensational...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

Nothing bad..But it's worth noting ATS traced his IP back to source..
Were ATS asked to do this??
Do they do it often??
Worth an answer from ATS..

I think it got to the stage where they needed to confirm or deny. I doubt they would do it for just anyone.

Re: The article - it seemed pretty well written and if anything, painted ATS as a discussion forum (among others) that happened to be frequented by Loughner. They don't paint ATS as a haven for nut cases and if anything I think the quote they pulled demonstrates that this site is quite the opposite.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   

The "Hi Tech" Corporate Police State: "Reengineering" the Internet ... for Persistent Surveillance
Ghost in the Machine: Secret State Teams Up with Ad Pimps to Throttle Privacy
By Tom Burghardt
Global Research, December 2, 2010
Antifascist Calling...

The secret world of "cyber situational awareness" is a spymaster's wet dream, made all the more alluring by the advent of ultra high speed computing and the near infinite storage capacity afforded by massive server farms and the ubiquitous "cloud."

Within that dusky haze, obscured by claims of national security or proprietary business information, take your pick, would you bet your life that the wizards of misdirection and deception care a whit that you really are more than a disembodied data point?

Lost in the debate surrounding privacy invasion and data mining however, is the key role that internet service providers (ISPs) play as intermediaries and gatekeepers. From their perch, ISPs peer deeply into and collect and analyze the online communications of tens of millions of users simultaneously, in real-time.

Concerted efforts to eliminate online anonymity, in managed democracies and authoritarian regimes alike, are greatly enhanced by the deployment of deep packet inspection (DPI) sensors and software on virtually all networks.

As Canadian privacy watchdogs DeepPacketInspection.ca tell us, DPI offer ISPs "unparalleled levels of intelligence into subscribers' online activities."

"To unpack this a little" they aver, "all data traffic that courses across the 'net is contained in individual packets that have header (i.e. addressing) information and payload (i.e. content) information. We can think of this as the address on a postcard and the written and visual content of a postcard."

All of which is there for the taking, "criminal evidence, ready for use in a trial," Cryptohippie chillingly informs.

Still the illusion persists that communication technologies are somehow "neutral." Neither good nor bad but rather, much like a smart phone loaded with geolocation tracking chips or the surveillance-ready internet itself, simply there for all to use. (read the full article at www.globalresearch.ca)

The trap has been sprung boys and girls! The cat is out of the bag!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Seeing this article reminds me, and should remind all of you, that we never know who is on the other end of a discussion, or what they may be capable of. We DO have a responsibilty here, when runnning into obviously troubled persons while browsing ATS, we should never provoke, only discuss, and when you see that a person is in distress, let them know they may need help.

edited to add: Have you checked out his account here on ATS? He was a reject here. A total reject. No one was going along with his nonsensical rants. And if you look further into it, you will find that he had been creating accounts here for a least 5 or so years and not doing anything with the accounts. No posts, just creating accounts. That is not fact, however, if you do a member search for just 'erad' you will see that several variations, including the 'eradicator' account was simply created and let go. I think he was coming here fueling his sick mind. And even here, just like all his jobs, he was rejected. I have to wonder why, why in the world didn't his parents do something about him when they saw his behaviour changing, when they realized their son was a weirdo. When THEY first became scared and suspicious of him!
edit on 15-1-2011 by space cadet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I think that what is really important, as I have mentioned before in relation to this very issue, is that ATS remembers what it is in its most basic and modest form. It is a group of people, with differing veiws who interact together. We are in short a society. As such each member, though not responsible for the actions of others, is responsible for his or her conduct toward a member. When one of our number is in need of mental assistance, or proves by his word and deed that he is of unsound mind, we must each take the oppertunity to assist him in attaining help with his issues, rather than feeding his paranoia with ridicule and rudeness.
I do not know what could pheasibly have been done in the case of Jared Lee Loughner, to soothe his mental defect, or to prevent his eventual outworking of his internal torment, but I cannot say without doubt that all we could have done was done. I KNOW there were people who poked fun, used sarcasm instead of concern, and dissmisal instead of investigation (the most rudimentary details of his posts would have revealed genuine concern for his mental state, being as they are classic evidence for sleep deprivation, lack of education, or just plain madness).
In the future, I would hope that anyone showing the signs that Jared showed, of just how damaged he was, and just the sort of trouble he was in with regard to his mental state recieves the support and aid of those who come upon his or her posts, and that everything will be done that can be, to ensure the psychological saftey and well being of each and every one of our number, should the need arise.
Here on this site, we deal with what can only truthfully be described as some utterly messed up things. The guts of the world are laid bare before us, which can be staggering even to a mentaly strong individual, and it is reasonable to assume that not every member is as sound in the mind as we would like. With this in mind, it is perhaps more important than in every day life, that we pay close attention on the well being of our fellows and act where we see danger.
I hope that the law in the states deals with the matter of Jareds evidently damaged psyche in a manner which will not compound the evident injuries it has already sustained, and that the victims families come to a place in time where the hurt is less fullsome than it must currently be, especialy in the case of the parents of that little politicaly minded girl, who died far too young. Also , it is a matter of joy to me that reports of the congresswomans health continue to be encouraging.
Its a dark and tragic business , of that there is no doubt, but let us learn from this and move forward more aware of the issues affecting our number.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Can anbody find his postings on that other website its called earth empires his username was dare

top topics

join