It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Crow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Anybody else love this film? I'm talking about the original with Brandon Lee, not any of the crappy one's that have come out after it.

I adore a lot of 80's movies... The Goonies, The Lost Boys, Stand By Me and The Breakfast Club etc, but this film is by far my favorite. I admit, I like a film with a bit of a soppy/romantic theme (I can even watch Titanic!) but at the same time it's just so dark and gritty. It's also somewhat tragic as it was the film in which Brandon Lee, a wonderful actor and person that was taken far too soon from us, was killed on set. It's kind of weird and even ironic how he was set to marry his fiance when you consider what the movie is about. It's unfortunate and just really sad.

Not to mention it has a kick-ass soundtrack with the likes of Nine Inch Nails and The Cure.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Trapt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Trapt

the movie is good. i also like the crow: city of angels (part 2) the other ones that came out after that are all trash, and i even like edward furlong, but as the crow? no. part 3 was also garbage.

its not a good a movie as a remember being a kid, but its still decent.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by epitaph.one

I like Edward Furlong too, I think he's a very good actor and was terrific in American History X. But the 2nd is almost a copy of the original but with different actors and in a different setting, to me it was just pointless.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Definitely one of my faves of all time as well.

2nd.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrath5639

You'd definitely get a star... If I knew how to give them!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
yep, great movie though it was a bit tame compared to the comic.
hammer party. yeah.

aizen-sama aren't you supposed to be in a more evolved form now?
not to be flip or anything, just another Bleach fan

to star a post just click on the star in the upper left corner of post you wanna star
edit on 14-1-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: addedcomment

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
"The Crow" isn't an 80's movie but I agree that it is an awesome story. Some of the sequels weren't terrible but they were practically the same thing. There is a remake of "The Crow" being planned.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

I know it's not, I was just pointing out that most of my other favorite films are indeed 80's one's.

Without checking The Crow was 94 I believe?

And I've heard about the re-make, it'll be a sad day should it actually happen.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Trapt

The Crow is one of my favorite movies of all time. I think a good deal of this has to do with the very Shakespearean, real life subplot involved with this movie... Bruce Lee, the Lee family curse, and the untimely death of Brandon coming just as Brandon has found his stride as an actor. Heath Ledger, in more current times, comes to mind.

One might even start a thread about how wearing white face make-up and giving the performance of a lifetime seems to be dangerous to young, talented actors... but I digress.

As for the series of Crow sequels... Well I sat through two of them. I honestly do not even know if more were made or not. The two I halfheartedly watched were enough to put me off the of franchise. Without Brandon Lee in them, they just seemed like lost shadows of an idea to me.... like eating one thing, out of necessity, when you were craving something very specific and different than what you ended up having.

But I see hope in the franchise reboot. Maybe it's just because Christian Bale surprised us all and turned the Batman franchise back into something to be enjoyed, instead of a series worthy of mocking. Maybe it's just because I've reached that point of life where going back twenty years is appealing to me. Maybe it's just because I live in hope that there are young bucks, out there in Hollywood, who are about to literally changed the game once again and make movies enjoyable again for those of us who watch them.

Maybe the next Coppola, Lucas, or Scorsese will direct it...
Maybe the young actor tapped to play the Crow character will be the next Deniro...

At least until we get more information, for a brief period, those of us who loved this film can dream.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I'm sure viewed entirely on it's own with no comparison made a re-make of The Crow could be enjoyable and successful, though after seeing what Rob Zombie did to the Halloween franchise I have my doubts!

But I just think if it isn't broke, don't try to fix it! The original was truly fantastic and I just can't see anybody playing Eric Draven as good as Brandon Lee. Add another The Crow film to the franchise by any means, just try to make it half decent, but they should leave the original well enough alone in my opinion.

Someone will tell me they're re-making The Goonies next!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Lets see
I had the crow soundtrack that my girl at the time and I would have on while we did our thing
In our place, we had no cable, not even basic...we had a VCR, a TV, and 2 video tapes
The Crow and Nightmare Before Christmas. Thats all we needed frankly...good times.

One of the best movies I have seen, and has a timeless element to it. You could watch it today for the first time and assume it was made perhaps last year.

It cant rain all the time.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
at least until we get more information, for a brief period, those of us who loved this film can dream.

~Heff

I dream that the only thing they do is re-release it in theaters...otherwise, don't touch it.
Brandon's acting is great, the concept is great, Michael Wincott was a brilliant bad guy, etc...no, you simply can't top or even equal it...only offend cult fans.

hell, the followups were offensive enough.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And a jar of strawberry jam no doubt, don't forget that!

But your absolutely right. The style and visuals of the film still hold up to anything today, some 16 or so years later. If you haven't seen it then it's really worth getting hold of the 'exclusive' version of the DVD, in which Brandon Lee's final interview he talks about dying and not knowing when our time is up. It's so sad that his time was up just weeks or months later.

In fact, I've posted the link below if you or anyone else hasn't seen it.

Interview

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trapt
reply to post by SaturnFX

And a jar of strawberry jam no doubt, don't forget that!

But your absolutely right. The style and visuals of the film still hold up to anything today, some 16 or so years later. If you haven't seen it then it's really worth getting hold of the 'exclusive' version of the DVD, in which Brandon Lee's final interview he talks about dying and not knowing when our time is up. It's so sad that his time was up just weeks or months later.

In fact, I've posted the link below if you or anyone else hasn't seen it.

Interview

Thanks, haven't seen that in awhile. Sad really

94 was the year where things changed for me. living as a kid through the 80s was like plastic hell..90s hit and ya, in 94, you had The Crow, Interview with a Vampire
you had odd music making a revival like Enigma's return to innocence, you had electronica..some weird "house music" stuff making its way in the underground, Nirvana and the like were playing the rock scene..
America was starting to gain an actual culture...and it was dark, gritty, and simply awesome.

Meh. ok, nostalga over.

top topics

join