It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$3.25 gas/gallon now, where is the outrage?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
People trade in oil futures just the same as they trade in US dollars. If you hear gas is going up then oil futures are a good investment. If you hear the dollar is tanking then buying cheap or selling is called for etc.
edit on 16-1-2011 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Here the gas prices went from 2.69 a gallon to 3.09 a gallon in the span of 2 weeks and then dropped to 3.05 last week and is maintaining at that rate. I believe they dropped it a little because nobody was buying gas. And then the threat of it going higher soon has alot of people making 8 or 9 bucks an hour that I know are saying with these prices they will not be able to afford to go to work and may probably have to quit their jobs and get something closer to home if they can. Well the small businesses that are around here are closing down due to the inability to keep their doors open because of loss of traffic from people already tightning their spending budgets. Obama says the economy is getting better yet everyone is losing their jobs or businesses closing down. Not to mention all of the people losing their homes due to foreclosure. So what are we to do? I dont believe we can say anything that will change OPECs mind to start producing more oil to bring the prices down. I believe that if they do get gas prices to 4 bucks a gallon we will start to see some serious issues like in 2008. This will shut everything down. All of these comapies hanging in there for hopes of an increased market in sales will inevitably close their doors for good. This in return means more job loss and more foreclosures. When is our country going to realise this and start making things right??

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Indeed there is little "oil is rocketing" coverage on the news. Did not see or hear one comment on it here in Europe where there was a lot of coverage on it two years back.

Maybe it was news cause it tied in with the crisis buildup where we are now in a breakout. News does hype around themes and the theme this month is "flood" not "oil". Besides, the news likes to talk about records and we're not there yet at the pump.

Next month it should be all over the news.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
You can still get it on average for $2.75/gallon in these parts, cheapest is $2.61.

edit on 16-1-2011 by bigrex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
How is outrage supposed to help? Why not outrage gravity away when you fall too?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

Are we really going to be paying $4-5/gallon by the end of year as some are predicting?

Is there a difference now than just 3 years ago? Has there been a huge change in the MSM in the past 3 years that I do not know about?

Yes. Things are different from three years ago, but it isn't the MSM. It's the Fed and the two rounds of quantitative sleazing:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3f0c1cd603cc.png[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1aa0c1701ec4.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b80a2a8743df.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 1/16/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   
"Where is the outrage from the media and the politicians."
Nowhere. You're forgetting that complaining about rising prices isn't anything new, and it's not very important.

"What is OBAMA going to do about it?"
Nothing. He isn't superman, don't be an idiot.

"Is he going to allow any drilling anytime soon?"
Perhaps once safer methods are used, also others could overrule that.

"Are we really going to be paying $4-5/gallon by the end of year as some are predicting?"
Where I live, gas is over $4.25 a gallon, don't complain. The last time it was 3.25 was years ago.

You will find no blame in politics and media. The supply of oil is currently more than enough, it's the sellers of the oil and the refiners that are raising the price, to make a bigger profit, to get happier shareholders, to get more investors, to get more power and influence.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Glad you had to throw in the snide idiot remark.

Did it make you feel SPAYCIAL?

Sometimes when I write my articles, I ask obvious questions to lead the way to conclusions.

I guess you are not bright enough to see that.

So I guess you is just smarter than the average me. derrrrr......................Idiot.

reply to post by silent thunder

Thanks for the graphs. I think I mentioned the QE earlier in the thread. Gives credence to my comment.
edit on 16-1-2011 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
... That's nothing! Here in UK it's £1.23 A LITRE!!!

People are just so numb nowadays that they don't protest about anything as long as they are comfortable in their own houses!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Haven't read all the posts, but I guess since a few years ago, when gas was about $4.00 or more per gallon, maybe they think we wont complain about 3.00 per gallon, now.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
converted into dollars we in the uk are paying £5.81 per gallon equivalent to $9.22 per gallon. £3.65 or $5.79 of that is tax.
regards f

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
We pay 5,7 euros per gallon (or 1,5 per litre) in Finland.

Thats 7,6 usd per gallon of gasoline containing 10% ethanol. So it has even less energy in it than pure gasoline that you probably get in the states.

Thats DOUBLE price compared to what you in USA pay.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

just another clue that Americans think they are entitled to cheap gas forever.
in real terms, the price of gasoline has FALLEN since 1980... if gas prices had
matched per capita income increases, they would be between $4 and $5 per gallon right now.

sorry people, but as long as we waste gasoline, like those imbecilic NASCAR races
where complete dolts race around in circles, gasoline prices will increase until it becomes
unaffordable to only the most financially elite.

As "peak oil" hits, (sorry folks, but abiotic oil is a joke), expect crazy petrol price spikes, and the return to
those '70s gasoline lines. When TSHTF in a few years, you'll be wishing petrol was only $3 per gallon.
edit on 16-1-2011 by arufon because: grammatical error

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I don't care what county you live in, when you have to work to afford gas to get to work there is an issue. When you spend more money on gas in a week then it costs to feed your family for a week, there is an issue.

I have a car that is relatively good on gas. I get about 20 miles to a gallon of gas. I have to commute 45 miles one way to work daily. I don't have a public transportation option.

Food is higher, gas is going up, the cost of living is going up and jobs are disappearing.

When gas goes up much higher I wont be able to afford to drive to work and pay all of my bills and I don't live very luxuriously. I guess I can get rid of the internet to save me $30 a month. Not much else. I've already quit smoking and quit going out to restaraunts and bars with the wife.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
reply to post by kinda kurious

Apology given. You specifically did not accuse Bush of causing the fuel prices to rise, but boy oh boy there were about 40 threads on it.

But one thing I found HIGHLY peculiar.

You referenced me twice on different threads complaining about my threads. One in particular is the New York Union debacle with the blizzard. By the way, now that there are criminal investigations going on currently, did you ever go back to that thread and admit I was right?

Fair enough. I sincerely had intended to do so before becoming embroiled in a near banning.

Corrected here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Inasmuch as we often disagree, I commend your resolve to defend your beliefs and honor if proven wrong.

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." - Anon

edit on 16-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Stumpjumper

That was a question I meant to put in my post on page 10.
Assuming you're in the USA - you state you car is quite good on gas by getting 20mpg.
Over here (UK) that's really low and would be generally be avoided unless you're really well off and fuel costs don't matter.
The question then - do all Americans still drive cars with 5 litre plus engines that have really poor fuel economy (as yours has) or is that an outdated perception of your motor vehicles?
I had a petrol car that was only getting 18mpg and I had to get rid of it and get a diesel that gets 35mpg round town (50+ on motorways) because I literally could not afford to get to work anymore...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
You folks saying the US should not complain about the price of the gas because yours is higher.
Generally, this wasn't about that, but since you bring it up....................The price of your fuel is because of........... YOU.

As I said earlier in the thread, in the UK, 81% of the cost is TAX. That is a 526% Tax rate.

Just because you folks like your TAXES, do not complain that we here in the US do not like our TAXES.

See, that was one of the reasons we kicked Georgie III's butt.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Jup, got me one of those too. Why drive guzzler when there are drippers?

That, however, was not the intent of this thread. The question is: why is there no (msm) outrage now, like there was an (msm) outrage two years back.

My guess is that msm will catch up soon when records are breaking at the pump. I further guess that this time even Americans will demand more fuel economic cars. Its make or break for the car-industry.

There's somewhat of a gap to close. So let's teach them

a lesson.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Canada should stop dealing with those billionaire oil sheiks and tell them we're keeping our wheat and they can eat their fng oil instead! We have more than enough oil ourselves to make us self sufficient, which means something should be done with our Federal Government whose leaders have never given a damn about the Canadian people who are also at fault by allowing them to get away with everything! The North American Free Trade Agreement is proof! There's a lot concerning Natives that I don't agree with, but my hat comes off to them for standing up and actually fighting the government for what they believe is right! If we must deal outside our country as far as oil is concerned, we should be dealing solely with President Chavez!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by D.Wolf

Yes it's only in the last 2 weeks that there has been increased msm coverage of the great fuel rip off.
The truckers are likely to do a protest in the next few weeks if things don't change - fair play to them I hope they bring the country to a halt so the govt sits up and takes notice.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join