It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt Etna explodes with 500 meter high lava fountians!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Mt Etna explodes with 500 meter high lava foutians!!!

www.volcanolive.com

Lava fountains occurred at SE crater, Mt Etna on the night of 12-13 January 2011. The eruption consisted of a sustained lava fountain, lava flow, and an ash column reaching several kilometres high. The lava fountain lasted 42 minutes from 22:48-23:30 hr on 12th January and reached a height of 300-500 m. The lava fountain became pulsating after this time and reached a height of 100-200 m until 0:55 hr on the morning of 13th January. Ashfall was reported on the south flank of Mt Etna. The eruption was preceded by smaller episodes of Strombolian activity from SE crater on 23rd December 2010, and
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14-1-2011 by alchemist2012 because: spelling

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I am no volcano expert but isnt this a pretty big eruption for Mt.Etna?I have read that there are usualy eruptions but this one sent up a 500 meter lava flow i mean thats pretty intense

Maybe some one who knows a bit more about this shed some light.And pray for the safety of folks that live nearby.

www.volcanolive.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I don't care how big the eruption is - if it happened in Sicily you aren't going to find any 'witnesses'.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich
I don't care how big the eruption is - if it happened in Sicily you aren't going to find any 'witnesses'.

It didnt say where thats why i was hoping someone on here has some better info

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I checked on Mt. Edna this morning and she had calmed down from yesterdays eruption. Now I see it has exploded lava 500 meters. A city lies at the base of the mountain in Silicy. Going to check out the 2011 Volcano thread for updates. Thanks for letting us know of the report.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Mt. Etna is in Sicily. It's name means mountain of fire and they actually filmed parts of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith there because of how active it is.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Last I heard earlier this evening the news reported that the villages below would be safe for the moment

Sorry that's all I can add

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by EssenSieMich

Lmao nice one.
Oh man, I hope that dude in the photo is ok.
edit on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:50:40 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

link   
Sorry I didn't take note of the dates in your thread - it is the same eruption I just spoke of - I thought there had been another.

link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

the earth farted. its a very good sign. granted, not for humanity, but...how much pressure do you think that relieved when the only other option is to build up and make a bigger pop

im mildly retarded

even i see that we should just have manditory pressure releases so it can be more controlled. sounds crazy but why havnt some of the geniuses done that yet? too busy with the lhc and haarp, and we are too

im sorry for any loss of life, but just remember sicily would be gone if etna blew like she did before we remember
woo optimism

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EssenSieMich

Whatcha implying? That all my relatives keep the family-honor by sayin nothin'?

Do they usually gauge the strength (of volcanoes) on the how far it blows? Oh man, I know there's a joke in there somewhere

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Checked the Mt Edna web cams, only one work - all is calm. Sorry can't leave the link - my functions haven't worked for weeks on ATS.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I hope nobody has been hurt. I can't find anything on the Tube.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Webcams showing all is calm...

Watch for tomorrows exciting finale' -"Sicily takes on the boot!"

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Nothing to worry yet.... I lived there, 50 miles from the Etna.
Seems like al the previous eruptions,... that means till so far....
You can watch a good report about this eruption (even with live webcam):
Mt Etna eruption 2011

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hope it can reach and take out the Vatican .Fingers crossed , can only hope .

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Silo13 lives there and posts current pictures in the Fragile Earth section of the forum. You all might want o check there for updates and further info. He seems to know what's normal for this volcano and he didn't seem alarmed at all.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
500 meter LAVA fountains?!?!?!

Holy crap!

Seeing as how there are only a handful of buildings in the world that are taller than 500 meters... it really blows the mind to imagine a lava fountain sprouting that high!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Correction, silo13 posts HER photos of Mt. Etna.
My apologies, as Silo13 clarified she is a lady, not a gentleman. Sorry I could not edit my post accordingly.
edit on 15-1-2011 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

top topics

join