It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A 3 hours hail storm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
This one should be added to the list of crazy events happening now. The source is in spanish, let me try to translate it :

HUANCAVELICA.- A huge hail storm took place yesterday, for more than 3 hours in Paucara district, Acobamba province, Huancavelica (Peru), destroying the medical post and the school.

The phenomenon also destroyed about 15 hectares of maize crops and homes of 17 rural families suffered significant damage, said Alcides López, director of public relations office of the regional government of Huancavelica.

The hailstorm began around 17:00 am Wednesday and lasted for over three hours, causing alarm in the population. The regional government came to the spot and brought aid and first aid to those affected.

www.prensaescrita.com...://www.expreso.com.pe

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.
Mod Edit: New External Source Tags – Please Review This Link.
edit on 15/1/2011 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
wow. THREE hours! that's nuts! just a short hail storm can cause a lot of damage.

iv'e never heard of a hail storm lasting that long.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Very unusual.
Glad the local authorities rushed to provide aid swiftly.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm sorry, the only place I can find this information is on this thread. RSOE-EDIS map says nothing. This would be classed as a major event, I'm sure. Can you confirm? I could not find this info in your link.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Wow. The longest hailstorm I've ever experienced was only about 5 min long, if that. Although I am not from an area where it hails frequently, probably only seen maybe 5 or 6.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tasty Canadian
I'm sorry, the only place I can find this information is on this thread. RSOE-EDIS map says nothing. This would be classed as a major event, I'm sure. Can you confirm? I could not find this info in your link.

Sure, here are some other serious links, but all local (peruvian), and all are in spanish.

www.panamericana.pe...
log.pe...
www.cronicaviva.com.pe...

They all say the same.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Wow, now that is biblical for sure. Time to start saying some prayers people.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The longest hail storm ever recorded that I know of, was in Amarillo Texas and it lasted for 2hours 15minutes and caused over 200 million dollars in property damages.

So this makes the Peru hail storm a new record, if indeed it tipped the 3hour mark.

Hail storms last short durations because storms are constantly moving usually, and so the hail is spread out over a long corridor.

Perhaps the explanation here is some type of wind phenomena that caused the storm to stop moving and so it parked right above this village for 3 hours before it started moving fast again?

Don't freak out just yet folks. Let's do some research and find more answers.

edit on 14-1-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
...the mountains surrounding the area probably had a lot to do with it... over 3hrs might make it the longest one on record... they dont happen often but they're not unheard of... china had a monster in the 1930s that lasted a little over 2hrs... amarillo tx has the same claim to fame (and thats flatland but its also supercell / tornado prone)...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

Thank you...I can't imagine why no one else has picked this up. I hope everyone there was able to seek shelter, and oh...the poor animals!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
While searching, I found this video from Huancavelica too. I translated the text below with google.

enlacenacional.com...

In Huancavelica, the inhabitants of San José de Poccyac, Colcabamba district town, have the peculiarity of being on an extinct volcano, which means they live in constant uncertainty as they relate to earthquakes sometimes occur.

However, say they have never received information on this phenomenon.

These guys live on top of a volcano.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
A new record like this taskes some beating for hail.... As people said above it's quite unusual. Nice find.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
This has been a really weird week, with the Arizona shootings, deep freeze in the deep south, Australian floods... It's starting to feel like we're actually living in one of those apocalyptic movies.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybee
This has been a really weird week, with the Arizona shootings, deep freeze in the deep south, Australian floods... It's starting to feel like we're actually living in one of those apocalyptic movies.

It seems, right now we are in the midle of the action, with nothing else to do except giving testimony and surviving if we can.

Notice nobody came yet to say "Everything is normal".

I found this one today, regarding the area affected :

www.guardian.co.uk...

Let me quote this part :

"We can only put ourselves in God's hands, because nobody else is helping us," says Carolina Flores, a mother of six whose six-month-old daughter is dangerously ill with pneumonia. "Our men have gone and talked to people in the government and told them what is happening to us, but they do nothing. We are not important to them, so we die up here and nobody helps us."

edit on 15-1-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think this thread deserves more attention.

I would really like to see more interest in the community about this.

I assume most just haven't seen the headline yet.

Hopefully someone will randomly come forward with more information.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I think this thread deserves more attention.

I would really like to see more interest in the community about this.

I assume most just haven't seen the headline yet.

Hopefully someone will randomly come forward with more information.

I agree. Maybe if something like this happen in USA or Europe....but it's just a little village in the Andes and there is no youtube video.

It took a long to call our attention about the floods in Australia too.

new topics

top topics

join