It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I just wanted to write a little rant about this, because I feel it needs to be addressed somewhere and frankly didn't know where else I could post it. So here it goes.

Why is it that there is always a date or prophecy that predicts the end of everything? Is it part of the ingrained Psyche to fabricate a horrible story of death and destruction because that particular individual was unable to accept the concept of existence? Is it because of the saying of human nature being to destroy one self and because it isn't happening they have to create it so they feel that there karma is back in sync? Or maybe its because they are seeking attention to make up for there meager existence of being ignored, largely due to there own inability to cope with the world.

Let's take a look at the doomsayers for a moment.

1. Christians - I can actually somewhat understand this one as the entire faith is based on the creation and destruction of the world by a singular omnipotent being. The whole concept of religion in my humble opinion is ones way to ease there own subconscious fears of death. Believing so faithfully in the bible and god tells them that death is not the end only the beginning. So it makes sense that they would embrace the second coming and rapture. The fact that the bible states only the "Chosen" will be ascended is a testament to the morale system of the Christian Faith in itself. The philosophy of we are right and everyone else is wrong because we have a book and scrolls. Well honestly so do the Muslims, Buddhists, Hindu but yet somehow they are still wrong.

2. Zeta's - Well first off you are basing everything on a woman that claims she talks to voices in her head basically. She claimed the world would end I believe 3 times total all by the same means, and when it doesn't happen she moves the date. It is utterly fascinating to me how many people just take this woman at her word, but then again there is a whole religion based on roughly the same concept E Ron Hubbard formed Scientology just based on his own beliefs and look how many followers he has now. The whole concept of there being a world out there that no one has ever noticed yet has life and is on a collision course with Earth based on a Sumerian astrology system so says one scientist in the entire world, yet it's taken as fact. Sure there is a very good chance that the planet Nibiru existed at one point in time, but as you can find with a little research the Milky Way has been absorbing other galaxies. Which means the planet could be nothing more then dust in the air or who knows it might even be the asteroid belt.

3. Web Bot Project - To me this one is on of the most ridiculous ones out there. We are supposed to believe that a program somehow makes accurate predictions of what will happen in the future. It is claimed that even this program sees the end in 2012. Well honestly how could it not? I mean its built to search the internet for keywords. As there are probably over a billion posts about how the world will end on Dec 21, 2012. It is utterly incredible how this program that looks for keywords might come up with that date. How is that possible? Hmm I wonder.

My point is that sure the world could end on Dec 21, 2012 or May 21, 2011 anyone see any similarities there? This doesn't mean it will happen. The world was supposed to end easily several dozen times over the last century, and it hasn't happened yet. Sure the world is changing and there are a lot more earthquakes, volcanoes etc. Honestly ask yourself though. Did we have the same world coverage and technology 50 years ago that we have now? How do we know there wasn't another cycle of Geologic instability back in say 1900 ? We don't because Ma and Pa Haskins had not one clue what was happening to Ma and Pa Ying back then. There are hurricanes that make Katrina, Camile, and Hugo pale in comparison. Floods that were more massive then the ones in Australia right now. Volcanoes that dropped the entire planet by 5 degrees in recorded history lord knows what happened before recorded history.

The biggest point of this rant is not to piss people off or hurt feelings. It's mainly there to say that all these doomsday scenarios and stories are what make the young impressionable youth feel that the world is doomed. When I was growing up it was Nuclear weapons and WW 3. Now that the Cold War is over and the world has settled down a bit it's natural disaster and prophecy. Eventually the wars will start again and it will change course. In the meantime life will go on and the world will still be here. If Jesus were going to come back because god had grown weary of our sins he would have been back long ago. If the Mayans were predicting the end of the world then why did they not write anything? There have been posts about Nostradamus predicting the end in 2012, but honestly he predicted stuff afterward too. So I ask how does something happen after if its the end?

Hope that I didn't offend anyone and everyone just reads and absorbs it for what it is. The opinions of a logical thinking non religious person.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Why? I guess to fill the void of uncertainty, or hoping for a great change to occur for the better, and wash away all the travesty in the world... a clean slate perhaps? Oh yea, and then there is the money to be made from all the books and dvds.
I am kinda glad the 2012 is the last "major" prediction and maybe afterwards the notion will fall away.
Of course I have already seen the 2013 solar storm fear and something about 2030 asteroid, but none that have held the mystique and concern like 2012.
I am sure we will still have some prophetic dreams here and perhaps some logical speculation on how things may unfold, but overall I will be glad to personally be doomsday free in 2013 and thereafter, so I can shout "we're all gonna live," for a change

spec
edit on 14-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Possibly because, as humans, perceiving time, and perceiving things as having a definite beginning and end, we must think i terms of beginnings and ends....of anything, everything. It's our nature. It is, true, ingrained in our psyche, the concept of beginnings and ends, cycles, etc. People, IMO, tend to take personal systems and project them onto a larger construct. Like in the film Donnie Darko. The world will end in X amount of days, but it is simply individual, personal, a microcosm that doesn't necessarily translate to the macrocosm. Some might say mis-perception.

Web bot, however, from what i know, bases its "predictions" by sifting through the things that people say/type/post, the individual parts which could very well be representative of the "whole," at least as we see it, but may not necessarily reflect actuality--or reality. Almost like a hypothesis bases upon the known perceived data, which is never 100% accurate.

Other people tap into a timeless reality where the possibilities are infinite, and possibly they too see one possibility, and describe it as *the* true possibility that will come to pass, without realizing that since it has yet to pass, the options are open.

The again, there is the fear factor, people predicting doom. And people wanting to be *the* messenger.

Or it could be that the simple fact of illumination/bringing the possibility to light, and the energy of many people focusing on it, changes it. Perhaps this why the phrase "like a thief in the night" has such merit.

As with quantum reality, perhaps it changes as we expose/perceive/acknowledge it? Perhaps that saves us, in a sense?

Just a short preliminary rambling, upon which i could, and may or may not, expand.

Peace.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Liquesence because: additional thought

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
What's real funny about the zeta's or that site poleshift.com or whatever........

There was a raccoon with mange that was killed and people thought it was a chukap(whatever).... and that site even had an article about the chuka(whatever)... as though it really was one....

It's just so sad that people are so ignorant to report on something that can be unproved. That's one example and there's plenty more.

I read from somewhere where a guy said "humans have become so obsessed with life and death that they have created a philosophy that lets them live even after death." That sums up a lot of beliefs.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I didn't conclude but wanted to... here it is.

So yeah, there are all these beliefs and reasons and prophecies and etc... What can we do? Absolutely nothing.
We are here to learn and grow and thats all we can do. So instead of worrying or getting worked up about "all these things" we just need to be aware and learn as much as we can while were here.... because, in the end, if any of this is supposed to happen... our future is already laid out in front of us and our destiny, our fate, is something we can never change....(if you want me to expand on that I will, and I can prove it)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I agree people have always been obsessed with death and not sure why. I totally agree with the concept of religion and how it formed. I mean honestly why not find a way to re-assure yourself that there is something after death.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Why?

Because DOOM IS FUN that's why!

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

My heart and mind tend to want to agree with you. But my avatar... my avatar stares at you in shock, horror, disbelief, and possibly a tinge of rage.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Well my avatar doesn't even fit right so not sure what that says about me lol. I swear I wish I could figure that part out.

Honestly I wish that I could be concerned enough to worry about the state of the world but I have enough of a time controlling my own Hypochondria and OCD that I really don't have time for worrying about anything else at the moment

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Its for masses stupidity. Dates can never be foretold, but cycles exist.

Any one knows anything about this stuff knows dates are always rubbish.

911 happened on that day as they planned it then to increase fear as its associated with usa emergency services.

top topics

join