It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Glassy Metal AKA Amorphous

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
damn, you guys post a lot.

"Just think if they made cars out of this..."

they might be unbreakable, yes, but in a crash we'd be squashed inside them like tomatos... cars today have a crush zone, where the material is deliberately softer so as to act as a cushion, softening the blow.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:33 AM
link   
If I had access to this material, I would make an anti-bear suit. Just imagine the look of surprise when the bear bites down and it has no effect. I would be king of the bears !! No one has done this yet, right?!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Better yet a shark suit. You could make it a mesh suit also.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Sorry about the goofy post earlier.

I think a mobile suit of battle armor would be closer to reality with this metal. It's soft enough to bend in the appropriate places and durable enough to withstand the rigors of combat duty. Add some nano technology and some weapon systems designed by this guy to it and you have a ready made Iron Man.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Its fun to be goofy once and awhile. That is some gun, Unstoppable force, unmovable object.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Cobra, did you find any real links to the this quote.

The wispy metal strip in my hands is 1 inch wide and as thin as aluminum foil.
"Try to tear it," says William Johnson, a materials science professor at Caltech in Pasadena.
I pull- first gentily, but soon with all my might. No go.

This was supposed to be a CAL Tech but the only place I can find this story is on UFO sites.

The Glassy metals are not what this guy is talking about.

Unless I am wrong and there is a REAL paper on this

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Cobra, did you find any real links to the this quote.

The wispy metal strip in my hands is 1 inch wide and as thin as aluminum foil.
"Try to tear it," says William Johnson, a materials science professor at Caltech in Pasadena.
I pull- first gentily, but soon with all my might. No go.

This was supposed to be a CAL Tech but the only place I can find this story is on UFO sites.

The Glassy metals are not what this guy is talking about.

Unless I am wrong and there is a REAL paper on this

I had to wait till this month to get it, but now that you mention it.

www.discover.com...

I have done a lot of reshearch on this , it is for sure glass metal.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Ill be dammed.. Wow.. I looked all over for that dam article. Thanks much appreciated

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Something new for my favorite thread,lol. Watch the buncing ball video.
www.liquidmetal.com...

During the 1900's, chemists invented THERMO-PLASTICS, which dramatically reduced the cost of manufacturing by using one mold for thousands of parts. In contrast, steel and titanium require one disposable mold for every cast part. Using a permanent mold can reduce the cost of casting by more than 10 times.
www.liquidmetal.com...

A diffrent company same stuff.

NEW BULK METALLIC GLASS TO CATCH PIECES OF THE SOLAR WIND

NASA's Genesis spacecraft, the first mission to collect and return samples of the solar wind -- fast moving particles from the Sun -- is moving closer to launch. Scheduled for liftoff in February 2001, the mission will help scientists refine the basic definition of the Sun's characteristics, and understand how the solar nebula, a large cloud of gas and dust, gave rise to our complex solar system.

Genesis has received its final piece of science equipment: a solar wind collector made of a new formula of bulk metallic glass, composed of the same class of material as high-tech golf clubs. It and other solar wind collector tiles on the spacecraft will collect the first-ever samples of the solar wind as the spacecraft floats in the oncoming solar stream.

NEW BULK METALLIC GLASS TO CATCH PIECES OF THE SOLAR WIND

NASA's Genesis spacecraft, the first mission to collect and return samples of the solar wind -- fast moving particles from the Sun -- is moving closer to launch. Scheduled for liftoff in February 2001, the mission will help scientists refine the basic definition of the Sun's characteristics, and understand how the solar nebula, a large cloud of gas and dust, gave rise to our complex solar system.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
An extraordinary type of steel has been invented that is more like glass than metal. It is unusually strong, and its developers hope it could be used to build tougher medical implants or lighter aircraft.

www.nature.com...
Here is a new site talking about my favorite metal.

Here are some more applications.
www.liquidmetal.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Did anyone else read the artical in disvover about this new product. If it is what they say it could revolutionize industry and change nearly all forms of design. www.discover.com...

Any thoughts or other info?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Already posted by spittin cobra
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Thanks for the nice link! No, I hadn't heard of it, but it sure looks promising. Any idea what they're considering using it for?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I believe it�s being used in golf clubs to increase yardage. You�ve probably heard of it before it goes by the name of �liquid metal�.

www.liquidmetal.com...

E_T

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Genesis has received its final piece of science equipment: a solar wind collector made of a new formula of bulk metallic glass, composed of the same class of material as high-tech golf clubs.

That must refer to frame of it.
Stuff that is used to capture particles is aerogel.
space.skyrocket.de...

But if this material is "bouncy" it isn't best feature to have in KE rounds. (they must be very hard and is density of this material enough)

But this surely find its way to armours.
When layered with very hard ceramic materials (like Exote) it would be very effective composite armour.

www.materialstoday.com...
www.nature.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Handing me a mirror-bright piece of same metal.

This could be the material used for invisibility. The metal could be used as a sort of conductive fiber optic to transmit images of the scene on the other side of the ship. Or fiber optics could be molded into it. That would produce a material hard enough for a ship and a glassy-ness to help with stealthiness.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Groupies:

Those who have read the Roswell evidence (such as it is) and the testimonies of the so-called eyewitnesses to crashed UFO vehicles etc. often claim that the "ships" (or crafts") seem to be made of a kind of Aluminium alloy material ("with the atoms lined up in a vastly different way from the way it normally appears on Terra"making it 100 times stronger and 1/2 as light) and that they appear to be in "one piece" i.e. poured into a single mould without rivets or joins of any kind. Many of these so called eyewitnesses use the word "as if poured" almost as if the metal appears almost still in a semi liquid state...

Could it be possible to make a metal vehicle, or an entire building, out of one single piece of this glass like aluminium coloured metal?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Adding some new info, and bumping.

Copper, iron, aluminum and titanium are a few familiar examples of conventional metals that we interact with every day. In conventional metals, the atoms that form the substance are arranged in a regular, repeating pattern called a crystal. This crystalline structure is not perfect, as it contains numerous small defects. These imperfections actually serve to strengthen the metal. Of course, if the imperfections grow too large, the metal begins to weaken, and eventually breaks.

"Amorphous" means "without shape". The atoms in an amorphous metal are arranged in a random, chaotic order. This lack of structure means that the strength of small defects is present throughout the entire substance, creating an exceptionally strong material. With great strength comes exceptional hardness, a property that is highly desirable for structural applications.
www.mos.org...

Abstract :
The objective of this project is to develop integrated magnetic sensors with thick layers (Å 20µm) of ferromagnetic amorphous metal, available in tape form. The excellent magnetic characteristics of these amorphous metals should improve the present performance of magnetic sensors in the domain of weak magnetic fields. The current work involves the development of a microtechnology process which allows the integration of this type of ferromagnetic layer on silicon, the realization of some elementary structures to characterize these integrated layers and the development of integrated magnetic sensors.

Project Description :

Currently, the ferromagnetic layers integrated in microsystems are deposited by standard technology processes like sputtering deposition, chemical vapor deposition or electrochemical deposition. These processes are used in the microelectronic and microtechnology industries [1] [2]. However, the ferromagnetic characteristics obtained from these layers are considerably limited. There exists ferromagnetic amorphous metal ribbons manufactured by injection and rapid cooling which demonstrate much better ferromagnetic characteristics [3]. The use of such layers in integrated magnetic sensors would greatly improve their performance. Furthermore, the choice of using amorphous metal ribbons as a material for integrated layers is justified by the possibility of completly modifying their magnetic characteristics by heat treatment.

The first stages of the microtechnology process to integrate these ferromagnetic amorphous metal ribbons on silicon have been carried out. The process of gluing and chemical etching of these layers have been studied and developed to realize some elementary toroidal or rectangular micro-structures with three dimensional coils. Figure 1 shows the fabrication process of these structures

lmis3.epfl.ch...

Still not sure how factfinder get credit for this thread.

[edit on 13-9-2005 by SpittinCobra]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join