It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How did NYC go from highest to lowest crime rate in the country?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I recently read a Wikipedia-entry about New York City that said that throughout the 70s and 80s it had the highest crime rate in the U.S. and that in the 90s that crime rate plummeted. Finally, in the year 2002, NYC had the lowest crime rate of all big cities in the U.S. and apparently still holds that status.

I realized something had changed in NYC but I did not know it was that extreme. Does anybody know the background of these changes? What happened in the NY Police Departments? I figure if we can find out what changes were made, they would provide a model for improvement in other cities, especially the ones with the currently highest rates of crime which seem to be Detroit, Memphis and St. Louis.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Seems to me as the climates get colder, more criminals turn up in hot spots around the country. Kind of hard to rob someone when your hand is too numb from coldness to whip out a knife or squeeze the trigger of a gun. Then again maybe they moved to warmer cities to do their crimes?

edit on 14-1-2011 by Stop-loss! because: I grew up a screw up

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Probably the events of 9/11 and the totally jacked up police state thats going on.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

I know some people dislike WIkipedia but that link provides good info in my opinion.
Mostly policies,spending more on law enforcement and drug control.
I'd love to hear other facts.More detailed ones =D

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Not sure if its the same article that you were referring to but I just read this one:
wikipedia

It attributes the drop in crime to:

During the 1990s the New York City Police Department (NYPD) adopted CompStat, broken windows policing and other strategies in a major effort to reduce crime. The city's dramatic drop in crime has been attributed by criminologists to these policing tactics, the end of the crack epidemic and demographic changes.

The broken windows philosophy of upkeeping and maintaining urban environments can only go so far.

However the end of the crack epidemic certainly had a lot to do with the lower crime rates. Less drug arrests, less petty larceny to pay for the habits, so on and so forth.
edit on 14-1-2011 by youdidntseeme because: spelling as usual

link   
double post
edit on 14-1-2011 by Skyfloating because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by logicalthinking
Probably the events of 9/11 and the totally jacked up police state thats going on.

I doubt it was 9/11 since it already plummeted in the 90s.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by youdidntseeme

The broken windows philosophy of upkeeping and maintaining urban environments can only go so far.

I hear Detroit is in a state of Decay. Maybe that one would help there.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Im a New Yorker and I will tell you what happened. After Dinkins here comes Giulliani on a drug war crusade. Giulliani introduces the Rico, that pretty much did in the crack game. Cocaine and dope run the scene now with weed being still the recreational drug of choice.

The system became more corrupt is all and now the big money goes to the big guys. Violent crime is down since the 80s with all the police out here. NYC is a police state and the police do not play by the rules out here.

Also in he 80s ppl would be outside, nowdayz everybody is in their homes, f a curfew, zombied out on TV and videogames. Occasionally in NYC the police stag "blitzes" with proverbial checkpoints everywhere. To live in NYC you have to know how to play the game. Manhattan is the latest victim of gentrification after 911 and all the "minorities" are being pushed to Brooklyn or the Bronx. Queens is where al the "illegals" live.

Now Bloomberg is taxing the hell out of everyone here and continuing the "racial profiling" practice of Giulliani. I believe crime is down cuz many people are either locked up on trumped up charges, have moved out of NYC(down south) or are connected with the system and work for the true crime lords; the officials.

KMA I said it

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

Since 911 NYC has become one of the biggest Police States in the country. With a camera on every corner and dozens of police on every block it's really hard to commit crimes. NYC reminds me of one giant prison. I've only been there once and that was enough...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Interesting read, tho here is the info by the numbers to corroborate with the Wiki site's info..

1985 - 2009 NYC crime rates by the numbers

Interesting read.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by fonenyc

Thanks for your detailed report. What Im not getting is whether the "police state" charges you guys bring up is because the place really is a control-freaks-universe or whether its just normal law-enforcement that is being seen as restrictive.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Cough cough, montauk project or some derivative, cough cough

look how much ireland has changed since the mobile phone introduction, lol. cough cough.
edit on 1/14/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Some of these begs the question here.

A few people are attributing the lower crime rates to the fact that NYC has become a police state.

With that being said, are we applauding and thankful of the lower crime rates, or protesting the so-called police state and wishing again for the days of higher crime?

I do see how it can be had both ways. But perhaps I am wrong.

So which is it?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Organized Crime...a recession remember. there's no money to fund the stealing.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
it all started in the 90s with Guilliani - he instituted the police state. Disney converted Times Square from a den of inequity into a family friendly tourist spot. the night life in nyc is virtually dead now, especially when compared to the 70s and 80s. night clubs officially died when Guillinai made them install surveillance cameras in PRIVATE clubs.

nyc may be safer now, but its boring, lacks all creative diversity (save for parts of brooklyn), and caters only to bloombergs wealthy lifestyle. the yuppies moved in, the artists moved to brooklyn or upstate and now its a playground for the wealthy

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
NYC got a boss
He has been embeeded and can understand crime as he came from it
He knows the skreetz
The skreetz love him and follow him
The Skreets got money flowing thru them
So now instead of being many haters there are many paids (getting money-eaten as its called)
and since this is the case the paids pay the lowers who used to be the robbers
now the big apple is eating big and they only want to make money
so crime goes down. Well the recordable kind ...

Peace and please dont ask

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

Interesting. Im wondering if lower crime rates necessarily have to equate lower creativity and diversity...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Wow really? Thats an insult. But no sweat you must not be from NYC. Of course if your sources are snobby little PA card carriers, civil servants, military, Masons or etc. they have the privilige of favoritism. Random stops, detainment for no reason, police abuse are normal out here; is that your regular law enforcement? It isnt the police, who are kool when they are calm/ ie not under pressure to perform, it is the system.

For instance I rmember when the city was roke all of a sudden Bloomberg said he would enforce "jaywalking". I never heard of Jaywalking tickets enforced until that week. Oh yeah the city needs money uhm so lets raise the cigarete tax, uhm the city needs money lets raise the MTA fare an my fave uhm the city needs money lets charge ppl to go into downtown Manhattan.

NYC is the epitome of abuse of power by everyone in a position of authority. Plz do not patronize me with your "doubts" which kind of sounds like bigotry about whether I am exaggerating NYC police state because I am some form of criminal myself, other thjan which without you making that assumption there would be no reason to doubt me. I know what is going on and I am well informed, it isnt V the tv series police state yet but damn well close.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by fonenyc
Plz do not patronize me with your "doubts" which kind of sounds like bigotry about whether

Well, Im open to you being right about the police-state thing. Not sure calling me a bigot for asking simple questions helps though...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join