It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exploration or Understanding? Pick One

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Lately I have been on a seemingly never ending search towards choosing a second major. I originally started doing Psychology and Mechanical Engineering...but after taking Cal III and some physics based calculus calculus, I've changed my mind on the later. Don't get me wrong, physics especially when related to space-time concepts can be enjoyable. But it it just seems so forced...almost futile information that gives you no peace of mind or understanding whatsoever. Universities are basically saying, "....Hey, invest in learning these factual-yet-theoretical concepts, and we promise to pay you back in the form of currency. You get to attract tons of people with your monetary worth and valuables instead of having to understand them as a person. Plus it's better than liberal arts and humanities in the sense that you are building sewer systems and sturdy bridges that will save millions of lives every year."

Okay, maybe that's a little extreme, but hopefully you get my point. Anyway, this train of thought got me thinking about the two extremes that bring about most conflict. My definition of duality changes all the time, and the more you think the more it changes. But I like to think I have a good sense of what I feel, and what brings about that feeling so I usually build of that.

Anyway, what it comes down to is can you live with knowing that you don't know everything? So in essence you know nothing (Philosophy). Which is the same concept as taking what you do believe in as fact, and relating it together to form a bigger picture (Religions). Or do you keep exploring and trying to control the elements around you, without ever taking time to understand what it all means? (Science)

Both of these types of reasoning create such an imbalance in how we perceive and react to things. Think about it...when you talk to people do you generally do everything you can to understand them and what they are feeling? Or do you simply listen to what they say, respond with the first socially acceptable thing that pops into your head, and hope for a good response. Are you just exploring and recording which phrases get positive responses in certain situations? Or are you continually trying to dig behind the words and have them trust you?

You could even take it as far as this question. Would you rather be an genetically advanced, intergalactic super power, who has the ability to warp and control space-time...or would you rather be a cow with nothing but pure awareness and understanding of it's environment. Which is more important...accepting change in whatever way it may come, or controlling your environment until you are satisfied?

I probably took it a little to far, and I would be surprised if anyone actually took the time to read this whole post, but it poses and interesting question. It's no wonder why depression is so rampant nowadays with knowing that you don't know everything, and feeling as if your unable to do anything about it. It's entirely possible to be happy with our surroundings and what we know...it's just hard to accept that there is something greater out there that we will never get to see. But just like fame...just because we have control a greater group of people, doesn't necessarily means your internal feelings will intensify. It just means you have a much more complex picture to consider.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradumbass
Anyway, what it comes down to is can you live with knowing that you don't know everything? So in essence you know nothing (Philosophy). Which is the same concept as taking what you do believe in as fact, and relating it together to form a bigger picture (Religions). Or do you keep exploring and trying to control the elements around you, without ever taking time to understand what it all means? (Science)

An interesting line of thinking, truly. I think that really does sum it up. What one exclusive system explores is beyond its understanding. We can put numbers, letters, and variables to represent what already happens all around us, but very few include their own perspective and being into that equation.

You could even take it as far as this question. Would you rather be an genetically advanced, intergalactic super power, who has the ability to warp and control space-time....accepting change in whatever way it may come, or controlling your environment until you are satisfied?

As a genetically advanced, intergalactic super power who has the ability to warp and control time-space, i assure you that I am no less a part of all that is than the cow.

I probably took it a little to far, and I would be surprised if anyone actually took the time to read this whole post, but it poses and interesting question. It's no wonder why depression is so rampant nowadays with knowing that you don't know everything, and feeling as if your unable to do anything about it. It's entirely possible to be happy with our surroundings and what we know...it's just hard to accept that there is something greater out there that we will never get to see. But just like fame...just because we have control a greater group of people, doesn't necessarily means your internal feelings will intensify. It just means you have a much more complex picture to consider.

I did, but i am not responding too in depth. When it came down to it, in my own philosophy, mathematics, and science, i could never hope to quantify that which goes on in my own body, at every continuous moment. The backlog would become heinous
Then when i started contemplating and attempting to quantify "things" like planets, solar systems, and beyond, my brain exploded and it has been an issue since. A CME, or cerebral mass ejection!

The most interesting note i made was that i was a part of that which i observed.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Understanding is achieved through a process of exploration. When presented with two equally appealing options, try and combine them. You will not have much success in being a space bending time lord if you do not understand and aware of your environment.

You exist so you know something about your environment. On the quest to know everything, it is a spiritual one if at all possible. I have my faith is science if we are to ever understand god.

join