It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science vs. Philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The following statements are mostly opinions.

I am a philosopher. I don't depend on hard physical evidence to base my beliefs on.

There are approximately 100 billion stars in a galaxy and 100 billion galaxies in the universe.
There is no concrete physical evidence that suggest that life exists anywhere else but earth.
But guess what?
I still am able to say with 100% certainty that there is life elsewhere in the universe.

I believe in probability. I believe in what is believable. I believe in intuition. I believe that just because there is no evidence for something, doesn't make it non existant.

Thank you science for validating what philosophers dreamed up.

I'm making this post because I believe in knowledge that comes from within. I'm tired of seeing people talk about, "Blah blah blah. Where's your proof? Blah blah blah."
You know what? I don't have any proof. And I don't need proof to arrive at certain inevitable conclusions.

I'm tired of it because people who depend on proof like to attempt to discredit people who come up with ideas that are not yet proven until the ideas are proven. All that serves to do seems to me is to cause opposition to a dreamers determination and motivation until the dreamer feels inferior or something.

So I say: Science. Stop trying to kill our dreams.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Science vs. Philosophy

Ever heard of the Greek philosopher Democritus ?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

What you talk about is what we call...in debating terms "argument from ignorance" and in debating...its the WORST thing you can do and generally makes you out as being weak minded and illogical.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I think that the first thing that we need to do is stop the us vs them paradigm. Science is not in conflict with philosophy or spiritual thought. Science is the minutiac determination of creation, the unfurling of the mind of God and understanding of the processes that were put into place, how they work, the rules that were laid down. I always view science as a confirmation of my faith, not an afront to it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

I wouldn't say Science vs Philosophy.... I'd say Science AND Philosophy.

I liked everything you wrote until the last bit about science trying to kill your dream.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Why does it always have to be faction versus faction every single time?

Can't we agree it's all sides of the same coin?

This is kind of like how Atheism is now a Religion too, instead of presenting a better option and sticking to it, atheists just spend their time denouncing and going against religious beliefs.

Last time i checked Religions already did that well enough among themselves.

Can't we have concepts and beliefs that stand on their own and don't need to resort to the old "my fish is better because your fish sucks".
edit on 14/1/11 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Collective consciousness at it's best. I literally just posted a topic along the same lines of this, and this one just popped above it after I was done posting.

Scientists are just people who are completely dissatisfied with their place in the universe, and are continually seeking information so they can put the big picture together.

Philosophers are people who are people on the path to enlightenment...learning to accept what they know and what they have by trying to weed out the redundant information that scientists uncover. IE: Scientists can build the entire border of a puzzle by understanding how our physical reality works, but their greed will never allow them to find the pieces to the middle of the puzzle.
"An molecule is made of atoms, which control every element in the universe, which build of each other to create organic and inorganic compounds...and blah blah blah". But they will never be able to say where the atom came from, or where the center of the universe is that the Big Bang would have had originated from, or what the point of any of it is.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nostradumbass
Collective consciousness at it's best. I literally just posted a topic along the same lines of this, and this one just popped above it after I was done posting.

Scientists are just people who are completely dissatisfied with their place in the universe, and are continually seeking information so they can put the big picture together.

Philosophers are people who are people on the path to enlightenment...learning to accept what they know and what they have by trying to weed out the redundant information that scientists uncover. IE: Scientists can build the entire border of a puzzle by understanding how our physical reality works, but their greed will never allow them to find the pieces to the middle of the puzzle.
"An molecule is made of atoms, which control every element in the universe, which build of each other to create organic and inorganic compounds...and blah blah blah". But they will never be able to say where the atom came from, or where the center of the universe is that the Big Bang would have had originated from, or what the point of any of it is.

Right. Its like (whether you believe this or not doesn't matter. It helps my point) when Adam and Eve ate from the tree of knowledge. They gained science, but lost eternal bliss. All I'm saying is, "I want eternal bliss back"

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I need to add that I agree that science and philosophy work together and I don't hate science. I just hate it for you if you're the type of person that dismisses everything because it hasn't yet been proven a fact.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have studied both science and philosophy for a great many years, and I see no point in debating polarizing opinions between them. Both scientists and philosophers require open minds. It is more important to admit that you may not understand than it is to declare you understand absolutely.

Is there life outside planet earth? Maybe, maybe not.

new topics

top topics

join