It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists breed first GM chicken

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Look...no one is forcing any of you to eat anything.
I hope that you all are aware that you do not have to consume or purchase or support any of this stuff...y'know?
It's not "our food supply" or "our food chain"...it's all manufactured.
You're taught that our cruelty to animals is perfectly acceptable because eating them is just part of nature.
It's just sad that as far as we've come...as much as we may have evolved...that so many humans are subject to such base and primitive behavior.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by tonypazzohome

I think the biggest issue that people have is that we are slamming these - and many other, non-GMO but equally novel - products on the supermarket shelves without actually conducting long term studies of health effects. Sure, we do short term studies, feed it to mice and see if they get sick, but after a couple of weeks, those mice are killed anyway.

Do you remember them saying "Yes, mobile phones emit radiation, but a type of radiation that is harmless, like background radiation!"?

Well, one long term study later, and it's not good news: they give us cancer
edit on 14/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

Nah another Myth, They have been experimenting but till now have not actually created a living succesfull specemin

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Pretty soon I will have to grow all my own food and animals.

Congress just passed the law to prevent you from doing so.

and for all those who want to grow
their own

might wanna keep ur garden inside
as I forsee them spraying chems
from the air to kill ur garden as a
means of enforcement.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWill
Do you remember them saying "Yes, mobile phones emit radiation, but a type of radiation that is harmless, like background radiation!"?

Well, one long term study later, and it's not good news: they give us cancer

and cell phones also effect the Bee population.
Without Bees, we cannot pollinate. The radiation
from cell phones screw up the bees navigational system
so they cannot return to the hive and so they die off.

edit on 1/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Pfft!, its worthless letting the bees pollinate the GM Crops anyway

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Matthew Dark

I agree with you, but almost everything is GMO. At some point, the only option is to not eat anything at all and starve to death if we don't want to eat GMOs. Also, they don't have to label anything. So the only option left is to eat roadkill...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TETRA.X
So the only option left is to eat roadkill...

I would not advise that either
as it was run over by a GMO Tire.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Genetic Manipulation has been occurring for hundreds of years. It really began w/ Mendels experiments w/ Sweet Pea plants, continued w/ flies, bacteria, and all domestic animals at a macrobiotic level. The progression to a microbiotic level in food products, IMO, is perfectly rational and right on time. With the world's human population closing on 7 billion real fast, we must look for answers such as these.

I would fight to the wall to maintain a pure wild animal stock, but domestic stock, food stock, we need to monitor and try to be ahead of any crashes.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by rleexray

Surely the answer would be to Castrate those who keep adding to the surplus population rather than creating genetically modified cheap and sustainable meat to feed their offspring with.

Genetic Modification is not right, its playing god and we will suffer because things are a way for a reason,

The human race has no right to upset the balance of nature.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Of course the super chicken could have flaws, mainly due to the ones we're allowing to run things. We need to stop that, but keep the science. By the way, meat or muscles grown in incubuators would be living muscle tuscle, the meat would not be dead, but it wouldn't be conscious. I would prefer it that way since we're healthier on meat than vegan diets, but with a lot of fruit and vegetables.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I just found out I have genetically modified stem cells in me.

Apparently with this new spine surgery where they go in thru your side and dig out your spine disc, they hammer in a plastic spacer filled with bone growth hormone then close you up.

It's a modified stem cell formula. We have Genetically Modified being forced at us from many directions.

Veterans Affairs is secretly doing Gene research and targeting veterans with genetic modification "treatment". They just started a 1 million Veteran blood bank to play around with DNA.

You should see the CT scan of my vertebrae and what the genetically modified stem cells are doing. Rapid transformation. Maybe I'll turn into a chicken.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by pianopraze

Pretty soon I will have to grow all my own food and animals.

Congress just passed the law to prevent you from doing so.

See Food Safety bill does NOT exempt small gardens and the "Commerce Clause"

I wrote letter after letter to my Senators and Representatives (probably 20+) urging them to fight that bill. They did some dirty tricks to get it passed and I am pissed.

However I think they DID put in a line that keeps farmers markets and home growers exempt.

On another note...

All these bad jokes in this thread is making me wonder if the chicken crossed the road to get away from the Monsanto Mad Men....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Ugh this is disgusting. Soon we will be seeing NON GM labels on organic food.

I wish scientists would stop trying to play god. The saying 'If somethin aint broke, don't fix it!' comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matthew Dark

Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I am currently preparing a full-on welcome to our new super-intelligent, mutated, giant chicken overlords.

ALL HAIL OUR GIANT CHICKEN DESPOTS! PRAISE BE TO OUR LEADERS!

Originally posted by Pervius
You should see the CT scan of my vertebrae and what the genetically modified stem cells are doing. Rapid transformation. Maybe I'll turn into a chicken.

Or maybe they will do what they were meant to do - help with whatever problem you had with your spine?

Originally posted by EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD!
GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD! GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD! GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD! GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD! GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD! GENETIC MODIFICATION IS BAD!

Okay, I disagree here. The general consensus in this thread is that Genetic Modification is inherently bad, and that the biotech scientists that GM'd the chickens were playing around like a kid does with fire or a magnifying glass and ants. These guys aren't morons, fellas, they do spend quite a few years pursuing an education to do these things.

You really think they do not take into consideration any "negative" effects the Gene modification might have, and try to fix it so there is none? They aren't impulsive cowboys, they aren't your typical mad scientist, they will try to make sure their product is not in anyway harmful to the environment. If anything NEGATIVE does happen, then you can blame the suit that's in charge of whatever company did the research. There is a difference between what a worker does, and what a selfish money-bound leader does.

reply to post by freedish

With that mentality we wouldn't have anything we have now, we wouldn't have vaccines, antibiotics, medical treatment... We would still be dying from the typical flu.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Ok, just like what I heard years ago about GM plants being suicide plants - meaning there is no "heirloom" seeds to save and grow for next year. The GM will either have no seeds, or will have seeds but they are dead.

Now, I raise chickens and I have pride and admiration for these creatures.
Those GM birds I can only assume that they too will not be able to produce offspring - total reliance of food from the gubbermint. Also, those GM birds may not be able to lay eggs.....but if they happen to be able to lay eggs, still they will not be able to produce chicks....this is very scary.
I think I will buy a few GM birds and camoflauge my real layers in with them. Dont know what to do because I am sure likely they will find out who has chickens and will confiscate them.

Does anyone know how to quiet a rooster (his cords) from crowing without the aid of a vet?
Will appreciate any guidance on that.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Interesting article. Thanks!

But here's what gets me. We can genetically modify and perhaps even create other creatures, but it's out of the question when someone suggests that some ET race of some sorts came here long ago and did the same thing to us. Especially given the age of the Universe.

"But stars are so far apart that they couldn't make it around".

Yeah - we're saying that it's impossible only by using OUR technological level as a basis of comparison.

I'll just never understand...

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
They've been screwing around with transgenics like this for years. This is Alba the glowing rabbit, died in 2002.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/89bf3cdd7477.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join