It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists breed first GM chicken

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Scientists breed first GM chicken

www.fwi.co.uk

Scientists have developed the first genetically modified (GM) chicken, engineered to prevent the spread of the H5N1 avian influenza virus, and in the process have sparked a renewed debate about the development of biotechnology.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 14/1/11 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline
edit on 1/15/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
No avian flu= good thing.

Genitally engineered animals= Bad.

Now call me Old Fashioned (Which someone probably will) But it didnt exactly work well for the Seeds did it now?

Im quite sure whilst getting rid of One Problem scientists have created another, Which we have yet to discover.

I can see a newspaper article in 5 years saying "Gentically modified chickens linked to cancer in food"

As usual though ill leave you guys to debate my findings

UK scientists have created the world's first genetically modified chickens that do not spread bird flu.

Writing in Science journal, the team says their work demonstrates it is possible to create a variety of GM farm animals resistant to viral diseases.

The research team inserted an artificial gene into chickens; this introduces a tiny part of the bird flu virus into chicken cells.

These birds become infected but render the virus harmless to other poultry.

The team believes that the genetic modification they have introduced is harmless to the chickens and to people who might eat the birds.

Professor Helen Sang of Edinburgh University told BBC News that genetic modification is potentially a much better way of protecting against diseases than vaccination because the GM technique works even if the virus mutates.

"It will protect a whole flock from avian influenza infection. This is really exciting because bird flu is a real challenge to poultry production and if it were introduced to poultry breeding it would protect our large scale production flocks from avian inlfuenza," said Professor Sang.

www.fwi.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

V Another link to a Legit BBC website Below V
www.bbc.co.uk...

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
in no way are we ready for bio engineering at all.

we are still to primitive to use bio engineering in the public sphere.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Good find i agree with you GM = bad news

We don't know the long term effects , thats why they are only concerned with the short term effects. just like politicians they don't care the country is in debt because they will be long dead and gone by the time # hits the fan for future generations

same with these GMO's they could careless now about long term effects. Cash and Grab and sell.

This is disturbing on many counts but who cares , earth is almost at her tipping point ,

They claim this is in the name of solving world hunger and food shortages lool

yea and im on ATS for cool aid

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
censored censored censored censored censored censored....

Pretty soon I will have to grow all my own food and animals.

I am so mad I can't express it under the ATS (good) censor rules.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
oh wow !!!

time to break out the BBQ Sauce !!!

No wait, on second thought
that's disgusting.

I wonder how good the wings are ???
lol

Next time u visit KFC,
u might wanna look a lil closer

edit on 1/14/2011 by boondock-saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Yeah that prettymuch sums up what I was about to say

edit on Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:14:07 -0600 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Oh just great! And they don't have to label it GMO either...so we won't ever know what we're eating.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Is there any way they can make it so the wings come out pre-Buffalo'ed?

That would make everyone rethink GMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Hey, no worries guys!

Now, we have GMO chicken to go with our GMO mashed potatoes and GMO corn, and GMO high fructose corn syrup sauce! It's a big GMO party, they just brought us another dish.

On a more, realistic note, this is insanity.... doing the same thing expecting different results? GMO = BAD, it will NEVER be good for the reasons they spout, because GMO is just bad, period. No matter how many times they try it, no matter how many species of animal or plant, the result will be the same. Thus, insanity.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Things like this didn't make me go veg in the first place, but they certainly keep me that way.

At least a chicken can't randomly pollinate others miles away, and spread it's genetic modification to worldwide populations.

How they would get away without labelling it GMO I do not understand. Although I never understood with how they could get away with selling some of this steroid-filled (Censored) anyway.

EDIT: Also, Go Peter Melchett. He's right, Helen Sang is manufacturing an expensive and potentially industry-damaging product when the industry would do much better by simply changing its practices.
edit on 14/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

edit on 14/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

So Bird Flu will mutate and adapt, and learn to infect the GM products.

Then scientists will create a new and improved variety.

Then Bird Flu will mutate, adapt, and learn to infect the GM products.

Then scientists will create a new and improved variety...

Kinda like nature does, but for profit.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Head for the hills!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Exactly

Second

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
what else do you think they may have done to this chicken maybe they put a gland in it that produces a tranquilizing affects in humans, lots of people eat chicken....

This is not a good thing we cannot be allowed to modify animals and people or make animals and people that is gods job not ours, this is a sign of the end of days.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I was having a brief weird thought about some type of mutant zombie chicken running around pecking out peoples eyes when I found this snippet in one of the articles:

The team believes that the genetic modification they have introduced is harmless to the chickens and to people who might eat the birds.

Whew, I was worried that it might not be a good thing!

Rock on scientist type dudes!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

They also belived Ciggarettes were harmless to humans....Yeah that went well,,,

Second

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

A place where I get lunch told me pigs used to be red meat and were modified to the white meat to compete with chicken. So they been playen with the food for some time.

hope they put a label on it and let us know. thats too much genetic minipulation to work out a virus. they may have just made space for a new something to grow...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

A place where I get lunch told me pigs used to be red meat and were modified to the white meat to compete with chicken. So they been playen with the food for some time.

hope they put a label on it and let us know. thats too much genetic minipulation to work out a virus. they may have just made space for a new something to grow...

They must have been pulling your leg, Pork has allways been Classed as Red Meat, An Advertising Campaign got people calling it "White Meat" because of the slogon "Pork, the other white meat", This was done to increase popularity, but no genetic modification was involved.

www.perturb.org...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Ahh I see, thanks

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join