It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO CARDS!!!! HELP!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hello hello, and thanks for coming to view the thread hopefully someone can help me out here.

Ok, I am just looking to get a video card that can tide me over until dec/jan I don't need the best of the best or the most expensive, I just need a card that will be able to run Trials of Atlantis and New Frontiers without lagging me to death when I encounter other people. Now the Geforce4 Ti 4200 128mb has been mentioned to me. However its not too expensive but I found an ATI Radeon 9200 128mb and a Geforce FX 5200 128 mb for CHEAP! are these just ghetto cards or will they kick ass for what I need? Right now I've got an aging Geforce3 64mb, I am assuming those last 2 cards will blow what I have away, no?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hey, fellow GMail user!

I think that the 128MB ATi Radeon 9200 is the better bet. I've used ATi cards and absolutely love them. I currently have a Radeon 9700 Pro. My brother has the same GeForce FX 5200 and it pales in comparison to the older 9700 Pro (in my view). I've played games, surfed the web and just tested each card. In my case, I would go for the ATi Radeon 9200. ATi has never steered me wrong.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Is it an ATI 9200 straight from ATI or a 3rd party manufactuerer?? If its from ATI or Saphire then its pretyt good. Go with the ATI over the nVidia. ATI has much better DX9 support.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Alright sweet, I am just hoping it works for New Frontiers, because even on my cable connection I was lagging so hard when I encounter realm enemies or got near the forts. As for the Geforce FX, I heard the only card worth buying in that series is 5700 and up.

and once again much thanks for the gmail

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I'd definitely go for ATI Radeon over nVidia. I purchased a Geforce card that I figured would run Deus Ex 2 (128mb, etc) but it couldnt. I bought the seemingly equivalent ATI card (Radeon 9600se) and it kicks ass. It's not the best card out there, but definitely a good bet for the gamer on a budget.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:43 PM
link   
decided to just fork out 200 for the radeon 9800 pro

www.newegg.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Good idea!!

Thats what im doing....its a GREAT card!! If i had the money Id go for the X800XT but i dont have 500$ to blow.

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Very wise choice, I have that card & I couldn't be more pleased with the performance.

E_T

posted on Jul, 11 2004 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Yeah, good choise, very good "bang for buck".

And in general if anyone doesn't know.

R9200 is DX8.1 card basing on "advanced model" of R200 core.
R9500 and above are DX9 cards.
Remember that with Ati SE means "Slow edition", Pro and XT are those which are faster. (good example: 9800 SE is as fast as 9600 XT)

FX5200 is crap.
With nVidia XT is that "raped" edition. (clocks and memory busses "halved", same like Ati's SE)

Many of these crap-cards are sold with oversized memory. (because PR department like those)

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
u wont go far wrong with that card lysergic and will help a lot

bear in mind that games like that especially that lag in that way
the first thing u should upgrade is ur system memory

starwars galaxeis did the same to me it was pretty smooth till a got in a crowd of people then it almost came to a complete stop
i had 512mb and upgraded to 1640mb and it was sslliicckk!!!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Yey!

Congrats on your buy!

I have a geforce fx 5600 128mb and it keeps freezing on me, like completely freezing the PC, sounds get freaky, monitor closes, the works! Was afraid it was some other problem but when tried in another PC it did the same thing

Last weekend i bought a radeon 9800 Pro 128 MB.

Lysergic from my personal exp. i can say you bought just the right card !!!

Now for my geforce... almost new... sux real bad

Can't return it cause it's a small store which have to "test" it to see if it works or not.

i'm pissed, now i didn't buy my radeon there so i'm gonna take my geforce there and hope they exchange or BETTER, reimburse me.

Wish me luck

Oh, btw, anyone has problem playing knights of the old republic with the radeon 9800 ??

It won't start right, the game crashes as soon as i click something

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Doh, clicked twice on submit

[Edited on 13-7-2004 by stephq]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
stephq, your old card doesn't happen to be a PNY 5600 ultra is it?

top topics

join