It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Breaking News: Napolitano Cancels Troubled 'Virtual Fence' Project Along Southwest Border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Just reported on FOX News website. No story link yet.

I will put it up when I get it.

This is crazy. This fence could have worked dam it.

May as well kiss the South West US good-bye. IMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

We should fence fox lol. If fox said it it isn't true

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
They just posted the news story.

www.foxnews.com...

I just don't like the tone of this. I think it is for political purposes and I know it is going to weaken our country even more.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

She would rather secure the Afghanistan - Pakistan border than worry about the security of our nation's citizens.

When I read stories like this:

At least one Mexican gunman fired a high-powered rifle across the border at four U.S. road workers Thursday in an isolated ghost town east of Fort Hancock, Hudspeth County sheriff's officials said.

The bullets did not injure the four men.
I would fully support a 20 foot concrete wall topped with razor wire along the entire length of our southern border.

www.elpasotimes.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The virtual fence is a joke...its a bloody walmart camera that takes really graney pictures of "brown people walking by". and yep, costs tons of money to erect and maintain, and within a hour or two, a marshall will be there to find the mexican...aha, hmm...hopefully the people walk very...very slow.

Actual walls wont work, tons of resources and time to build what can simply be defeated with a ladder

What will work is simple. Actual guard posts every half mile or so with a couple people in a tower. How many guard posts would that be, how many soldiers would it take to man the towers in 3 shifts.

Math

The full border is about 2k miles
A guardpost every half mile = 4k posts
2 men x 3 shifts per post = 24,000 workers total

The Army National Guard now has 366,880 Soldiers

Thats it...problem solved. This is the only way this will be solved, everything else is just a costly and ineffective distraction

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
I would fully support a 20 foot concrete wall topped with razor wire along the entire length of our southern border.

Ladder + wirecutters = ineffective

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I agree with you. There really is no deterrent strong enough to stop immigrants from seeking a better life. The guards are much better than a wall. Even then, the illegals will slip through. The best we can hope to do is contain the situation, as we will never stop it.

If they really wanted to curtail the problem, then they should up the penalty for those caught employing illegals. Active enforcement of hefty fines and prison sentences would go a long way....a lot further than walls or guards.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
It could possibly have something to do with China's Latin America push. Chinese trade delegates led by their soon to be preisdent Xi Jinping. Apparently he and trade delegtes have been wooing South America for it's resources and commodities.

Apparent as well is the mistrust some LAtin American countries have of China and the way in which they have handled the African continent, Mexico particurlarly.

thecable.foreignpolicy.com...

If the US doesn't want China on it's doorstep, it might be time to treat Mexico as a partner rather than a uninvited guest who won't leave.

my2cents..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by deadbang

I haven't heard of this concept before. I think it's too late.

I think it is just a matter of time..... Before SHTF and we are in an all out war.... but we'll be handicapped right from the get go.... with Obama at the helm.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
reply to post by deadbang

I haven't heard of this concept before. I think it's too late.

I think it is just a matter of time..... Before SHTF and we are in an all out war.... but we'll be handicapped right from the get go.... with Obama at the helm.

You are a perfect example as to why the ignore button was a bad idea. Whenever you make a thread, I look forward to reading it because your a clever chap...except for your political threads, which I wonder if your neocon friend takes over to make. heh

Just felt the need to point out something...that you can be totally polar opposites in one field, while being totally in line with someone in another forum.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

It is interesting that the Patriot Act specifically addresses beefing up the border between Canada and the USA but says NOTHING about our most vulnerable border to the south.

Just goes to show what liars the District of Criminals are. Terrorists?
If the government REALLY was concerned about Terrorists they would have used the funds in the "stimulus bill" to build the Frackin' WALL.

A lot of Americans have gotten sick and tired of the US Government's Texas two-step on the border fence issue.

Here is one group who is PHYSICALLY building the border fence: secure.conservativedonations.com...

Here is another group who monitors both the government and the border. Their videos are well worth watching.

American Border Patrol is the only non-governmental organization (NGO) that monitors the border on a regular basis - mostly by air. It has three aircraft, each designed for a specialized mission.

ABP operates from a ranch right on the Mexican border in Southeastern Arizona in the heart of a major smuggling corridor.

ABP is a watchdog. We watch what the government is doing and we report to you directly.

Glenn Spencer -- American Patrol Report -- December 21, 2010
For years, the Government Accountability Office has said that the Department of Homeland Security has failed to properly manage its resources. Just last May it wrote: "Without a meaningful understanding of SBInet costs and benefits, DHS lacks an adequate basis for knowing whether the initial system solution on which it plans to spend at least $1.3 billion is cost-effective."

Today we show an example.
The photo above shows a high-tech U.S. Border Patrol vehicle complete with thermal and color cameras and radar. It is said this system costs $500,000. It has another Border Patrol vehicle along side for protection.

The high-tech truck is parked 3 miles north of the border where DHS decided to leave an old ten-foot fence in place instead of installing a new, taller, double-layered fence as Congress called for. With a proper fence, all this technology and manpower would most likely not be needed.

It is hoped that the new chairmen of the House committees that oversee the border will find ways of improving security and cutting costs. www.americanborderpatrol.com...

new topics

top topics

join