It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey what gives? Glenn Beck

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
So I was once a Glenn Beck person back maybe in the start of 2008 or maybe a little before I started listening to his radio show. He was saying economic doom and gloom is going to happen and were in for bad times. Something along those lines So I kept listening to him because he was proven to be right even though he could be a little wacky at times. So early 2009 rolls around, and there are some people in this country who feel like they are not being heard by their elected officials. This was evident by a caller who called into the Glenn's radio show. The caller was like I am giving up on polititcs and so on and so on. So I don;t if Glenn got inspired by this or what. But he put together the 9/12 project. And he also annouced that he wanted like minded people to come together to show that we are not alone.

I was entranced by this. I wanted people to come together and work through our problems. Now the breaking of the trance happened little by little. First when I watched his program he started moving a way from his 9/12 thing. I was wondering how come he doesn;t mention that as often as he did. Some people still feel that they are alone.

Second, this turned me off from him was the Debra medina thing. Debra Median was running for Govenor in Texas. So she goes on Glenn's radio show to tell everybody what she is about and why she should be elected and everything. Glenn asked her about 9/11 and she said I still have questions about 9/11. So rather then engage her in a discussion about it. After the call is done And Debra is off the show. This guy like a elementary school boy starts making jokes about her with his friends on air. How disrespectful and immature can you be??

Third. It is in my opinion that Glenn Beck is a hypocrite. What does he say all the time. Question with boldness. If you have a question seek the answer out with all your conviction. Yeah sounds good. So when someone has a question about 9/11 your not supposed to question that. And listen I am not a 9/11 truther guy or anything like that, I am more agnostic on that, because I don;t know what happen (even though we don;t know what hit the pentagon) But he says people who question 9/11 are crazy and can be dangerous.

Fourth this is what set me off and inspired me to do this. Was a couple of days ago I watched his show. Now I watch all the cable news station's FOX, CNN ,MSNBC. To me there all the same so why not watch them all. He starts his show off by eating a bowl off ice cream. Now what I don;t get is if things are so bad and were facing danger from everywhere you look, this is what he says with oyur debt and all other issues, how do you have time on your show to fool around and eat a bowl of ice cream? What about the people who watch who want to hear the serious issues discussed?

So I don't know if ATS is conservative or liberal, I think it is a mix. But I would appreciate it if people weighed in. And if there are people that want to defend him lets have a discussion.

Hey what gives? Glenn Beck

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
He would laugh his socks of if america tortured you, enough said.

Just because he is on tv does not make him a human to look upto.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I believe Glenn Beck says what he is paid to say. He is paid to bring in viewers and that's what he does. I don't believe he actually feels the way he says he does. I get a very strong air of hypocrisy from him. That's my personal opinion of Glenn Beck. If he got paid more to be liberal, he would be a liberal.

I was surprised to hear his comments about the Obama memorial speech the other night.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I believe Glenn Beck says what he is paid to say. He is paid to bring in viewers and that's what he does. I don't believe he actually feels the way he says he does. I get a very strong air of hypocrisy from him. That's my personal opinion of Glenn Beck. If he got paid more to be liberal, he would be a liberal.

I was surprised to hear his comments about the Obama memorial speech the other night.

Definitely an opportunist.

If I recall from once researching him - - his past is not exactly exemplary.

He's kind of like Dr. Phil - - IMO.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I have many LDS friends. Beck is LDS and I think that is what drives him. I don't see him as an oppourtunist so much as someone who voices what so many think. Like anyone here, we can be swayed by pervasive debate. His attitude and viewpoint has shifted, but perhaps it has evolved and matured as well.
I'm not saying he is always right, but he is right ALOT!

Just my opinion. I own no FOX stock, don't even buy on GoldLine, but I do buy gold.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopherI too was a Glenn Beck person. In fact, nearly everything he has said within the last two years I agree with. What bothers me about him and O'reilly is their almost violent response to anyone who questions the OS. They are both so hypoctitical when it comes to 9/11. They act incredulous and say "how dare they accuse the Bush Whitehouse of planning the attacks" or some close variation of that. They are using the same tactics they accuse others of using, and act as though they are patriots! It's obvious they don't want help the truth movement, because they're afraid of what we find.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have many LDS friends. Beck is LDS and I think that is what drives him. I don't see him as an oppourtunist so much as someone who voices what so many think.

He became LDS when he married. His wife was LDS.

People are People. Mormons are people. Opportunists are people who come from anywhere.

And No - I am not putting down LDS as I was LDS for a few years.

Claiming belief in God - - - does not make one "Saintly" - - - as we've witnessed many times.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I have many LDS friends. Beck is LDS and I think that is what drives him. I don't see him as an oppourtunist so much as someone who voices what so many think.

People are People. Mormons are people. Opportunists are people who come from anywhere.

Claiming belief in God - - - does not make one "Saintly" - - - as we've witnessed many times.

Perhaps. I was just trying to provide another aspect to what may be driving him. His faith may have nothing to do with it.
Only he knows.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I have no doubt that if someone intimately tied into the Fox News Channel were to read this they would immediately label me a seditious-evil-lying-communist-scumbag-bas**rd who hates America. This, of course, is so far from reality that it's laughable. After spending some time analyzing and evaluating the Fox News Channel, I have formed a similar opinion. The Fox News Channel is so far from reality that it's laughable -- which is why it's an industry joke.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Perhaps. I was just trying to provide another aspect to what may be driving him. His faith may have nothing to do with it.
Only he knows.

Its all good.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I like to watch him and a few others but the bottom line is they're all just puppets. They spit out a few things here and there just to keep ya hooked, they have a great delivery and everyone likes someone whose witty, bold and has a sense of humor. At the end of the day they are puppets who will not dare, despite their bold facade, speak what they believe to be true or go against the puppeteers. No one wants his/her money strings clipped.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Yesterdays show on Bernays and the use of propaganda to control the herd was pretty spot on.

I have not been watching his shows much lately. They are pretty much a rehash of everything I know already from his perspective.

Controlled opposition? Maybe.

Attack persona, meaning they have to have someone to attack and vilify to push their narrative. Maybe.

More likely just someone that has a viewpoint and has made a living at it. 99% likely.

Unless of course everyone on TV and everyone in the world, including me, is a part of some vast conspiracy.

Bwahahahahahaha!

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I am very conservative. However I don't like to watch Glenn Beck. I find him to emotional for my understanding. Do not misunderstand me here, I am not against emotions per se. I just don't care for him crying or breaking down on his show the few times I have tried to watch it.

I occasionally watch Fox as I don't care for the other networks. All of them including Fox News are preaching their political line. They are all shills for one political party or another. I also don't think Republicans are conservative..I think they are often Stealth Liberals/Liberal Lite.
On the other hand for years now..many of us have understood CNN to be Chicken Noodle News.

Be Warned of the News media...all of them. Even our newspapers are becoming tabloid like..as are some of the English papers. A little bit of news and then alot of what the stars are doing. Do some of you find this format low on news and information's and high on fluff? I do.

My confidence in the media has gelled down to getting my news and information's off the web or from international short wave and or my Ham radio sets. I vote against the media..almost all of them and I am voting with my fingers, amateur radio dial, and of course my dollars.

As to ATS you have a bit of everything and anything of which one can conceive and even sometimes that of which one cannot conceive.

Oh..and I also know ...that much of which Glenn Beck is posturing and concerning his audience about in the few times I have watched him..is material of which there were people warning about back some 30 years ago. It is not new information's. Particularly the financial stuff and where it is trending. Not new information's. Just new to people with a television/ movie education.

The one on Fox I do not like period..is this fellow Hannity. I do not like his technique of cutting off his guests if he does not like what they are saying and then taking over the conversation. This is very similar to Chris Matthews who does the same thing as his speciality/fingerprint. I don't like either one of them..nor do I care for Glenn Beck.

All of the media is hypocritical. You just have to know some history/information's to catch it. There are certain news and information's topics they will not discuss ..period. Yet these topics have a decided bearing on the understanding the public has about what is going on around them. You are never to think in these avenues ..ever.

Agree with you American Philosopher..in that they are all the same..little difference in the cable news stations. Inform yourself about some history...real history. This way you can eventually catch them when they lie and deceive you or attempt to put you on their politically controlled string. Thus you control the cutting of the strings with your own welfare in mind....not the welfare of a political party being shilled for by a compliant news media outlet.

And Be warned about any news media or breaking news which gets you quickly on the emotional puppet strings. IF it doesn't do this immediately you can bet the political parties will get their shills..in the media to help put you on the emotional control string as they did with the shooting of this congresswoman out in Arizona. Once they get you on the string...they control how you think and then how you will act.
The media and the body politic stunned me by how quickly they attempted to make political hay for profit out of this shooting and the deaths of these people with their standard political line and at the expense of the public. I found it disgusting.

This will happen again on another issue with the same results...predictable pattern.

Nonetheless..I don't care for Glenn Beck and his emotional technique. Nor the emotional technique of most of the media.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ac3rr

Buddy, since we quit being rude to one another let me put it to you this way. Fox news is the most watched cable news channel, period. It comes down to this. If you think fox news is slanted, I believe that you must be slanted the other way. Consequently, I believe you don't know what you're talking about. As far as Beck being too emotional, that's a given. But, that's not a valid reason for disagreement. Don't you want to learn?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
reply to post by ac3rr

Buddy, since we quit being rude to one another let me put it to you this way. Fox news is the most watched cable news channel, period. It comes down to this. If you think fox news is slanted, I believe that you must be slanted the other way. Consequently, I believe you don't know what you're talking about. As far as Beck being too emotional, that's a given. But, that's not a valid reason for disagreement. Don't you want to learn?

Rating don't necessarily depict truth or knowledge. Just look at "American Idol" or "Dancing With The Stars," their ratings or viewership kicks all their asses but it doesn't mean that there's a lot to lean from watching them. They're all slanted to some degree but Fox is by far the worst. I don't know just how to describe it but it's almost as if they refuse to fact check anything prior to putting it on the air. The accuracy of much of their reporting is at times, laughable. IMO, Fox News is more of an entertainment program than it is a source of accurate news.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I like Glenn but I do not always agree with what he says. Remember when someone is making millions of dollars doing what they do in many cases they have there own agenda behind the scenes. ^Y^

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

That's a big accusation about not fact checking. Can you give me one example of where they got their facts wrong about any particular story, or are you just blowing smoke? Seriously, where are the examples of their misdeeds?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm with BH and Annee about money and opportunism.

As for Fox being the most watched? I watch it just to see what fool thing they're going to come up with next. For the entertainment. Not to believe anything or everything they broadcast or because I agree with their leanings. Just saying I wonder how many more like me are out there. I'd venture to say their watchdogs number quite a few.

As for fact-checking? They're not renowned for it...let's put it that way. I wouldn't go so far as to say they do none, but they're among the shoddiest in the journalism business, if any of what they do can even be included under the journalism umbrella. I suppose if it's the opinion, commentary, or punditry segements we're discussing, they are excluded from fact checking...it's just the way the trend seems to be going.

If you're interested in their track records with "facts," there are watchdog organizations (albeit usually from or of the "enemy" camp out there with more information, which you can then use to decide for yourself.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Personally, I quite enjoyed Glenn Beck when he was on CNN. Since his move to FOX he has become much further right than he was on CNN.

His ideas are actually quite good if you pay attention to them, it's just that his rabid presentation style puts me off these days.

His shows on the founding fathers however were generally very, very good, an exception amongst all the rhetoric that he generally airs.

He needs to go back to the fairly non biased style he used to have, before he hijacked the Tea Party movement. The 9/12 project was a very good idea, just needs to go back to its roots without all the flim flam.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dillweed
reply to post by Flatfish

That's a big accusation about not fact checking. Can you give me one example of where they got their facts wrong about any particular story, or are you just blowing smoke? Seriously, where are the examples of their misdeeds?

FOX News actually went to court a few years back in a case where they decided that they were not a regular news network and therefore did not have to talk about "facts" on their news shows or their pundit shows. Fox News won their case, basically allowing them to present whatever "facts" they see fit without the need for the pesky rules of journalism, like making sure the facts you present are true.

They are well known for running with the most popular versions of stories, not necessary the true stories.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join