It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City puts a stop to homeless outreach

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
www.chron.com...

Bobby and Amanda Herring spent more than a year providing food to homeless people in downtown Houston every day. They fed them, left behind no trash and doled out warm meals peacefully without a single crime being committed, Bobby Herring said. That ended two weeks ago when the city shut down their "Feed a Friend" effort for lack of a permit. And city officials say the couple most likely will not be able to obtain one. "We don't really know what they want, we just think that they don't want us down there feeding people," said Bobby Herring, a Christian rapper who goes by the stage name Tre9.

`We are from the government and we are here to help you.` Sad , just sad.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I guess it is now illegal to help those worse off than yourself. To need a permit to help your fellow man is deplorable. I guess it's better for these people to go hungry in the eyes of the government until (and if) it gives you permission to help.

There is a word for this: Tyranny.

S&F
edit on 14-1-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I find this really abismal. I know people don't appreciate the homeless, but you'd be surprised at one goodness, charity and comraderie there is inside of that community. To target the efforts of good people and their much needed attempts of charity is simply evil.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Truly sad.. Dark days when people arent even allowed to show compassion for their fellow human beings without a permit.. part of being civilised and of civilisation is compassion for ones fellow human beings without compassion there is no civilisation..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
So, basically the City of Houston is saying:

This is nothing more than a pathetic attempt to get rid of the less fortunate by forcing them to other locations or by starving them to death.

Hopefully the ACLU will take up this cause and force this issue into court.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemooone2

America and its positive thinking, lol, strikes again.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Surely there's a nanny-stater who will pop in to praise the state for requiring these heinous food vendors to produce a permit showing their product is safe for consumption?

We wouldnt want some looney feeding bug burgers to the homeless with fecal spread after all.

All hail the state and its infinite wisdom. Praise dear leader. Praise him til you bleed because you know you love it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by robinmorningstar
I find this really abismal. I know people don't appreciate the homeless, but you'd be surprised at one goodness, charity and comraderie there is inside of that community. To target the efforts of good people and their much needed attempts of charity is simply evil.

Very well said. The part of this that really has me seeing red is this : `That ended two weeks ago when the city shut down their "Feed a Friend" effort for lack of a permit. And city officials say the couple most likely will not be able to obtain one.`

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
"And city officials say the couple most likely will not be able to obtain one"... Is it possible to acquire the names of these individuals that used this verbiage? I think they might enjoy a little notoriety here on ATS. Lets expose who these people are and scrutinize them a little bit. I think we can do some good here if we team up and embarass these folks by revealing their identities, their lifestyles, the types of vehicles they own, things of that nature. This is terrible and we can help.

top topics

join