It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South African flood death toll exceeds Australia (tons more rain expected).

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

More than 32 people have been killed, more than 2000 households affected and South African coal exports sector have been hampered in what some call one of South Africa’s most relentless storm bouts.
This has left 400 to 500 informal settlements damaged and coal prices have soared to a 28 month high.
Most of the country’s dams are much over their 100% capacity and dam engineers have been left with no choice but to open sluice gates and send water downstream in a bid to release pressure on the dam.

More to come
The local weather service has issued warning on the news of flash floods in Gauteng and Pretoria (central, northern South Africa). According to the weather service approximately 5200 m3 (5.3m litres) per second is expected to fall upon the already flooded area. With one of SA’s largest dams aready burst its banks, more large river are expected to follow as sluice gates are kept open to release pressure on dams.
Towns such as Ladysmith (hometown) in Kwa-Zulu Natal, which hasn’t flooded in the last 10-12 years are now flooding.
16 areas have been declared as flood prone and local residents are being warned to evacuate as the water rises.
“In Maputo, lightning killed eight churchgoers on Sunday with a separate storm and floods raising the death toll to 12, Mozambiquean police and state media said yesterday.
“The group was meeting under a tree when the thunderstorm started,” said Belmiro Mutadiwa, a provincial police spokesman.
A disaster management official said on January 7 that heavy rain in Mozambique in the next two months could cause massive floods comparable to the devastating downpours that killed 800 people in 2000.” –form the original artice.

www.themercury.co.za...

www.timeslive.co.za...

Though South Africa has a long and rich history of heavy rainfalls and general floods, it is seldom on this scale and, worst, so relentless. The land is not getting enough time to soak up the water because of the heavy dry spell.

Farmers around SA have said that they could see a difference in the weather pattern in the last 5 years and are struggling to pinpoint its new pattern. No doubt there will be severe crop damages, not to mention those to properties.

The biggest concern now is to get people out of the flood prone areas, worse still, those below a dam wall under pressure.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Currently the Augrabies waterfall is a spectacular site with over 4045 m3 (3 million) litres per second making its way over the waterfall.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
The situation in Brazil is even worse - more than 500 dead.

BBC News

I hope everything to come back to normal soon.
edit on 14-1-2011 by jovanoti because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Expect more deaths, as with the QLD floods, initial numbers are not final. The missing Aussies will add to the total.

God, this year is a hell..

What next ?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
it keeps getting worse
so currently there is major flooding in -

Australia
Brazil
Sri Lanka
South Africa

where else?
edit on 14-1-2011 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2011 by oddnutz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b302027c7e4.jpg[/atsimg]

Augrabies

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
This is getting to be the norm for this year. 1 can only hope it seems to be more activity due to more reporting abilities from general public and not REAL changes happening. But as said before the Earth needs to heal from the destruction that it has seen in the last 2 millinia.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The UK might be next.

www.clickgreen.org.uk...

jovanoti, That poor dog in the brazil clip, Nice rescue of the women though, that was like a movie.
edit on 14-1-2011 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The thing is, this is not the big storm. But it is a good indication of things to come.
There is no arguing that the seasons hasnt changed.

If this is the beginning, then it is it indeed a great time to be alive.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
My heart goes out to anyone caught up in this kind of mess...
I hope this start to the new year will be followed by a very boring remaining year. (I can hope)

While in tin foil hat mode, it seems we are facing some kind of major change.. I hope it brings about good changes to humanity..

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Thank you all for your replies. My first post, rather proud of it but wished I got the photos right.
Nevertheless, expect more from teh southern side. ATS is the only place where you go into hours of reasearch and study at your own free will. its a channel, in every sence of teh word.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by oddnutz

can you try n get people that are in these places as things go on ? i notice a few people say that they have lived in places all their lives and though little things happen, ie floods n quakes they are quick to say not on this scale and evidence as with oz and brazil haven't seen sri lanka will check it , aint it summer in oz? also i know we allways have # weather here in london and england however we have had a couple of by our standards quakes n floods? do you get these reports in big continents? cheers stay safe everyone

top topics

join