It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret Service Study Probes Psyche of U.S. Assassins (in light of current events-a great read)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

With public speculation mounting about what motivated a 22-year-old man to attempt to kill a congresswoman, a little-known study by the Secret Service suggests the truth may be frighteningly mundane

The study of U.S. assassinations over the last 60 years debunks some key myths about the miscreants behind the attacks. The Exceptional Case Study Project, completed in 1999, covers all 83 people who killed or attempted to kill a public figure in the United States from 1949 to 1996.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c20b0cb3f16a.jpg[/atsimg]
Jared Lee Loughner

“We approached a number of people, many in prison,” says forensic psychologist Robert Fein, who co-directed the study with Bryan Vossekuil of the Secret Service. “We said you’re an expert on this rare kind of behavior. We’re trying to aid prevention of this kind of attack. We’d welcome your perspectives.” Fein interviewed 20 of the attackers who were still living and sifted old evidence from cases. His goal was to understand the sequence of thoughts, plans and motivations that transformed a downtrodden, but unremarkable person into an aspiring killer over a period of months or years.

Contrary to popular assumptions about public killings, the attackers didn’t conform to any particular demographic profile. But when Fein reconstructed their patterns of thinking, he was able to distill them into a handful of recurring motives for killing a public person — motives that seemed consistent regardless of whether a given individual was delusional or not (and three quarters of those who pulled the trigger were not).

Some hoped to achieve notoriety by killing a well-known person. Others wanted to end their pain by being killed by Secret Service. Still others hoped to avenge a perceived, idiosyncratic grievance unrelated to mainstream politics. Some hoped, unrealistically, to save the country or call attention to a cause. And some hoped to achieve a special relationship with the person they were killing.

Unlike terrorists, who sow panic with public threats, just 4 percent of assailants in the study warned their targets by sending threats. That silence underlined their desire to fly under the radar, says J. Reid Meloy, a forensic psychologist at the University of California in San Diego who studies public figure killings.

The aspiring assailants often chose between several possible victims. And once they chose, they spent weeks, even sometimes years, planning and mulling their attacks.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3d5e82ba8854.jpg[/atsimg]

Sirhan Sirhan, the man who assassinated Senator Robert Kennedy in 1968, practiced for months at a shooting range. He was seen practicing just eight hours before the killing. And in the investigation that followed, reviews of film footage revealed that Kennedy had been approached by his killer several times in what may have been dry runs in the weeks before his death.

Source: www.wired.com...#

A very interesting study and findings. I think it all comes down to this. There are crazy people out there-be ready.

We live in another world from years ago and it's only getting worse.

I have to say I am surprised that they showed the findings that cast a wide net out to the sickos. Not just one reason and/or cause etc.

I think it is more for Fame (the assissin's sick idea of Fame) and/or recognition. Mostly they are P.O.S that about the only thing they are good at is messing things up.

one thing for sure. Some seriously sick bastards.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6d88a9990406.jpg[/atsimg]
Lee Harvey Oswald

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I do agree that there are some sick people in this world. But I must disagree with you about Lee Harvey Oswald. Much research on my part gives me a strong feeling that this man is innocent. If you ever get a chance, take a tour of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, Texas. Go to the 6th floor window where Oswald allegedly fired the shots at JFK. If Oswald was right-handed, then to me there is little to no chance of him being able to land 2 out of 3 shots on his target from the angle he was standing. I am left-handed, I shoot guns left-handed, and even then, the chances of me being able to land those shots from that certain angle would be very hard. It just doesn't add up IMO.

-Sam

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SamTGonzalez

Man, you kicking the door open with that one.

Not going there. I'm going with the official verison until otherwise proven wrong.

Well, I will say I think he was one of many involved that day. yes.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Lol, well, do as you please. But if you ever get a chance to go to Dallas, be sure to check out that building. It is very interesting. They even have a section on the 6th floor that plays a video addressing (and debunking) some of the conspiracy theories on his assassination. Hmmmm....

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Why don't you do up a threat on that topic? I am sure it has been touched on a bit before but I think it has been a while.

Time to re-visit the JFK assisination. Think about it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

A great idea indeed! I have yet to post my first thread, as I am relatively new (more of a lurker).
But I will start researching and gathering information today.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Your first thread... You have to. I insist.

Better move on it as I am sure someone else may. People are always on the lookout for good ones.

I look forward to it. Please U2U me with the link-in case I am out/away and miss it.

Take care and Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Thanks, friend. I will.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What they are really doing is trying to find people to do things, they are not out there to prevent. Why would they want to stop crimes? It would make no sense.

The secret service are desperate to proof there existence is important so you think they will be out there trying to stop crimes, lol. They are out there trying to get people to do things, like the fbi and all other agencies.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

andy andy andy... I see the re-education camp has not been kind.

Expressing thoughts like this will only generate problems for yourself.

Repeat after me....

They are your friends. They are here to help you. They are here to protect you.

Repeat.... Repeat...

top topics

join