It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two New Views of Stunning Starburst Galaxy:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

SEATTLE — This gorgeous new X-ray image of the nearby galaxy M82 shows a frantic burst of star formation that may have been triggered by a close encounter with a nearby galaxy.

M82 is “the prototypical starburst galaxy in the nearby universe,” said astronomer Roy Kilgard of Wesleyan University, who presented the new image in a press conference Thursday at the meeting of the American Astronomical Society. The galaxy lies just 12 million light-years from the Milky Way, and is the brightest galaxy in the sky in infrared wavelengths. The image above was captured by the Chandra X-Ray Observatory over the course of nearly two years. “It’s extraordinary. I’ve never seen detail like this in an X-ray image before,” Kilgard said.

The blue grand-spiral galaxy M81 dominates the bottom center of the image, and the small elliptical galaxy NGC 3077 lies to the bottom left. The faint green streaks that crisscross the image are lanes of dust in the Milky Way. The huge burst of star-forming activity in M82 was probably triggered by a recent near-miss collision with M81, said astronomer Ned Wright of the University of California, Los Angeles. The encounter stopped M82’s rotation, and dumped a huge amount of gas into the galaxy’s center, where it collapsed into bright, young stars. Near-miss collisions often result in distorted, wonky-looking galaxies. But for M81, the flyby with M82 may have enhanced its spiral structure. Eventually these things will merge into some giant mega-galaxy,” Wright said.

Source: www.wired.com...#

Just look at the 2nd pic-the Blue one. Simply beautiful. We are so fortunate to be able to witness and better to document this stuff.

What is it all for? Is there something greater that we don't understand or know about?

Something much much bigger than ourselves. Hopefully awaiting us to arrive on scene and get involved in the game.

Are they color enhancing this stuff? One has to ask.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What is it all for? Is there something greater that we don't understand or know about?

It is the miracle of our Universe, it goes on as we do everyday. New things happen all the time, and "Yes" there is plenty we "DO NOT" understand about the vastness and grandeur of the expanding Universe. Heck, some think that the expanding Universe may very well be the "Retracting Universe" but no one knows for sure. Not at this time anyways.
As for the two galaxies colliding? That is quite an event! There are some out there that know of a neighboring galaxy next to ours that is also on a collision course with our galaxy as well. Being's we are within our galaxies perimeter, the Hubble can't really take "Proximity Pictures" of this event as it unfolds, but scientists say it is a beautiful visual affect with very deadly and not human friendly if it were to happen with in our existence span.

Colliding Galaxies in an Expanding Universe

Something much much bigger than ourselves. Hopefully awaiting us to arrive on scene and get involved in the game.

For the most part, we are doing as much as we can as of right now. Being observer's has it's limitations, but the amount of intelligible and rather important data we receive from such witnessed events is payment in full to be an ongoing species of a fuller understanding of how thing's may truly work out there in the vacuum of the Universe.
Space travel is our frontier, though we barely even know 1% of our oceans floors and what they hold here on good old mother-ship, Earth, we long to be in the stars midst. "Strange breed we are!!!"

Are they color enhancing this stuff? One has to ask.

I am hoping they are not touching up these photo's, there is plenty in the public realm of full understanding and learned new and exciting finds for all to give tribute too as this is a venture that requires more than a few scientists and Astrophysicists.
Though I know they are known to keep some information from us by way of the government, these galaxies and other astrological events are important for the research and should be shared as a mutual interest for us as a species.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Allred5923

Excellent reply.

I have to say.... just that.

What an excellent reply.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Even though the Universe is our teacher/professor/learning tool, it still baffles me as too the certain scenarios that "Could" possibly play out while we are for the most part stationary by our gravitational planet, that we could very easily fall victim too any one of a million different case scenario's of the activity of our Universe. Though there is much to learn, and very exciting when new finds are discovered, there is a part of me deep down inside that quakes with fear of the actual damage such beauty can create and befall upon the human race, not to mention the impact of the environmental stability as well. "Ants on an Anthill" is the best analogy one can give for our insignificance in the total scheme of thing's when it comes to the Universe and it's agenda.
I would venture to back up the fact that we are not going to be here for ever in our Galaxy/Universe, but as we still do occupy this small microscopic bit of space, we are getting more knowledge of what lay ahead. Not to put a "Gloom and Doom" cascade on your post, this should all be accepted fundamental science and we should enjoy the ride, whether it happen in the next seconds or millennium's of time.
"Are you an avid Astronomer?"
"Have you always been interested in the Universe and it's hidden secret's?"
"Do you use telescopes or other observation tools for the stars?"
These pictures that the Hubble produces are just absolutely mind blowing to say the least. We may have to computerate new information, but it always holds fruitful if our analogies are correct and studied.
And on another note for topical conversation "Did you know they have now concluded a massive counting of the stars in our Universe? It turns out that we have neighbors that number from 300-400 Sextillion(SP?) in our known universe!" That , in itself is quite an amazing feat of the mind. And if you are wondering what the 300-400 sextillion(SP?) is, it is a 300 or a 400 with 32 zero's behind it, Quite fascinating.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I concur. With all of the endless possible things that could go wrong (for us humans) how can anyone predict anything.

2012.. pfff. It (whatever IT is) could happen five minutes from now..... Boom/ Bang etc.

Anyway, that's why we must document and enjoy things as we discover them.

I think these pics should be broadcast every where so all can see and admire. Almost make 'em enjoy it. lol

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Yes it should be shared with everyone.
One thing I would like to point out though, with current conditions as they are, pay close attention to what is being said and discussed about our solar system and celestial neighbors. Even though the 2012 thing may seem a farce to some, the implications of new data recently being followed is of some interest and a smidgen of concern because we have never really been in this era of humanity for so much cosmic differentials. We are, for lack of a better explanation, heading to a new age of new sciences and possibly indifferent scenario''s we have never had to deal with before.
There seems to be something stirring the proverbial pot, but with all the cards on the table face down, there is little more than "Speculation" as to what may be the chain of event's that finally rear their ugly heads, worse case scenario though.
I don't know how much you know by means of celestial events and ancient Mayan Calendar discussions and knowledge, but rest assure, the Ancient people from days long gone had an intermittent connection to the world beyond ours. For instance "Why would a civilization back track a calendar from it's present all the way back to 3160 B.C. and catalog chains of events other than to warn future generations of the power of the Universe?" For the most part, the exact thing we can see via the Hubble telescope, they seem to have had knowledge of before the technology. "Makes one wonder..."

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

heading to a new age of new sciences and possibly indifferent scenario''s we have never had to deal with before.

I agree. that is why I have gotten into Space Exploration so much. Just look at my thread history. It consumes me.

Funny to me is how I came toATS to seek the truth about UFO/Aliens and now..... that is small in comparision to what joys I get from these Space photos.

I mean it when I say we are lucky to be able to observe and document it.

Thanks for all of your input. Much appreciated.

new topics

top topics

join