It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Know Someone Mentally Unstable? What do YOU do?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaWhiz

Originally posted by Redevilfan09
The other thing is I don't see what is so funny about this. Some people with mental issues have been abused, raped, tormented, the list goes on. Its OK to have a joke, but not all of the mentals are gun weilding psychopaths...

Can I star and flag a post? Because this would be the one!
There are varying degrees of mental illness. I take care of two family members with special needs so this OP really offended me. The prejudices I've seen so far upset me too.
Mental illness is not something to joke about.
Once more, it's time to stop people and ask them: What do you really know about mental illness?
You guys get talking points from the MSM or online and think you have a degree in the stuff so you can laugh and joke, mainly because it is not you in those unfortunate circumstances. But give some thought to this: Our rights are on the line in the US. I had to fight to keep one from institutionalization because a pharmacist told a cop this person is trying to od on insulin, when in fact she broke her glasses, thought she took the right amount and got sick.
So keep on joking ATSer's - TPTB are trying hard to label each of us. Suppose this incident as I described above, is used against you? Will it be funny then?

The reason why I brought it up is because I have been through it myself. I didn't joke about it at the time, and would not wish it upon anybody else. Some people return from a mental illness, most never will. I was one of the lucky ones and will never put myself in that position again.. Drugs are very bad.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What about someone who is mentally unstable with serious anger control issues who is known to possesses firearms?

Personally I try to stay far away from the said person because I enjoy living.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
This guy seems pissed. So what? At lease this guy has enough guff to speak out. He's on the phone, not in person. If your a public official it's going to happen. Not everyone is candy coated polite when they tell Big Bro to f off.
You don't seem concerned for him only yourself. Isn't that "New world" thinking to shut out the non-conforming individual. " It makes me afraid! Get rid of it!" attitude is what "they" want you to Want. Good luck OP.
edit on 1/19/11 by him777 because: Grammar

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

You let them know that they are loved and you discuss topics of interest with them to determine just how unstable they really are. You also determine from their actions in the past if they are the types that would act out on radical ideas they may have or are they just brainstorming when they talk to you. To think about doing something is a far cry from actually doing it....to even talk about doing something is a far cry from doing it....we are, after all, afforded the right to be free thinkers in this society....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by punctual

No you are not. I have been monitored with electronic mind control techs for 19 years, and they take every single thought of mine and pretend it means something, lol.

I have had people like you interfering with me for 19 years saying i am doing this and that, and no one crime in that time.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

If he is contacting you in the context of your job, I would ensure that I had documentation that proved that I alerted management to the issue. If you or others in the workplace are in danger, it is his responsibility to deal with it. Should he not deal with it and something happens, he can be held liable in a civil court for failing to act despite being alerted to the unstable person contacting employees in the workplace he is in charge of. I know that sounds petty, but protect yourself in a civil sense, regardless of what else you do. I would specifically inform the manager that security needed to be notified and be provided a description of this person.

If I personally felt threatened, I would first off, refuse to take his calls or immediately hang up on him. I would then contact the police and would get that contact memorialized as well.

If the person is not threatening or you don't think he is, attempt to pursuade him to seek professional assistance, perhaps providing him with some community outreach centers where he might get help.

I would not advise you to engage with him about what is troubling him, direct him to a professional and stay away from him. You don't know the underlying cause of his issues, are not trained to properly identify the symptoms, don't know his medical history, nor criminal history. Stay the hell away from him

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well, what CAN you do? If you are not in a position of authority that allows you to cause someone to be committed or evaluated, then the only thing you can do is contact someone who is and tell your story, hoping they will in turn take action. For example, in my county there is a mental health authority that is allowed to commit someone involuntarily for a certain period of time under X circumstances. They have their own rules they must follow.

From a personal or business point of view you could take steps to get a restraining order against someone who is bothering you. This is a legal matter where you must convince a judge, but in practice I think this is a fairly easy thing to do.

Other than that I don't see how you could instigate anything further. You don't have the legal right to do it. Even with family members this gets very very tricky. I was in this situation with my father, who was in failing health, though (mostly) lucid. It probably would have been better to get him out of his situation, but on the other hand, he was in charge of his own life. It wasn't until he became incapacitated shortly before his death that I was allowed, even, to make decisions on his behalf. Fortunately all the legal papers had been signed decades before. If I hadn't had those I couldn't even have done that.

In short, you are legally restrained as far as what you can do, which is overall probably a good thing. After all, if anyone could finger anyone else for mental instability, most of us here on ATS would have been long ago committed just for coming here.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Right on

2nd

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by margaretr
Just because a person has opinions which do not conform to the accepted 'norm' is not a reason to attempt to silence him/her. Eccentricity is not mental illness.

To put it bluntly - live and let live, and mind your own business

Exactly. Just because someone is not you does not make them crazy, they are just not you.

What makes me laugh are the so called normal people are the ones committing crimes, and destroying lifes. You notice how much scum there is in police, and you call them normal, and many of them would also be masons, so there is a rule you cannot be crazy to join. Total contradiction i would say.

Anyone in police that makes a judgement about a person that is wrong, that leads to there life being destroyed is by definition crazy, but society accepts the police are just a bunch of idiots with little thought process other than to target people for there friends.
edit on 1/14/2011 by andy1033 because: (no reason given)

You clearly have never met someone who is seriously mentally disturbed then.
I know of a person who is so far gone that he believes his friends are now part of cia, fbi and that everyone is out after him or wants to poison him. Is this person just different?? I have seen this person go from being "eccentric" to now not being able to even hold a simple conversation. Sometimes there is sadly some people who need professional help.
I think the thread starter know this person better than anyone of us.

I do however agree that people are sometimes misdiagnosed,

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

...article by Durlach et al, entitled "Diverse Applications of Magnesium Therapy". Its authors assert that in their clinical and open trials they found symptoms of chronic magnesium deficiency in neuroses to include anxiety, hyper-emotionality (crying, grieving or other forms of depression), fatigue, headaches, insomnia, light-headedness, dizziness, nervous fits, lump in throat, blocked breathing and respiration, cramps, strong tingling, pricking, creeping feeling on the skin having no real cause, chest pain (either of a cardiac nature or not), palpitations, dysrhysthmias, Raynaud's syndrome, and more including latent tetany, constipation, and myocardial infarction. Some of these symptoms occurred as part of panic attacks, sometimes...

Look here:-

george-eby-research.com...
edit on 22-1-2011 by beckybecky because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join