It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Ice Surfaces in Glacier's Terminal Lake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
I was up at the glacier just after it calved - a fantastic sight to see mini ice-bergs floating in the Lake.

Now, it seems, some blue ice has surfaced - beautiful, eh?

Love this land.... shaky as it is

Enjoy'

www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Blue ice occurs when snow falls on a glacier, is compressed, and becomes part of a glacier that winds its way toward a body of water (river, lake, ocean, etc.). During its travels, air bubbles that are trapped in the ice are squeezed out, and the size of the ice crystals increases, making it clear.

Yes, indeed it is beautiful. Did you witness the overturn? I would imagine that would have been quite chaotic.
edit on 14/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Blue ice occurs when snow falls on a glacier, is compressed, and becomes part of a glacier that winds its way toward a body of water (river, lake, ocean, etc.). During its travels, air bubbles that are trapped in the ice are squeezed out, and the size of the ice crystals increases, making it clear.

Yes, indeed it is beautiful. Did you witness the overturn? I would imagine that would have been quite chaotic.
edit on 14/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

Unfortunately not, we went up just after the glacier had calved - here I am being rewarded for the walk - you can't really see the scale - you can see the end of the glacier - the icebergs in the huge terminal lake are massive!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b6a720571887.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
That chunk of ice looks very tasty.

I want to just chip a few pieces off and put them in my drink.

That would be the best ice ever.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Wow that is beautiful! I would love to see something like that.
I must admit, mother nature/Earth is an amazingly beautiful and wonderful place. Even if it dose scare the hell out of me sometimes

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

WOW !!! Just wow.....

I hope you had an ice pick and a fine bottle with you.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Breath Taking.
S and F.

Thanks for the pics and links.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I read an article a few years back about that very thing. Japanese bars were buying up blue glacial ice because it a) looks cool, and b) it sinks due to it's density, which also looks cool.

To the OP...

Great photos, trips like that interest me far more than roasting on a beach loaded. Probably because as a Canadian I can handle the cold, being Irish on both sides (and Mom's a redhead at that) it's far cheaper to douse myself in gas and play with matches then lie on a tropical beach.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing it here.

Thankfully people were there to capture the photos before the 'blue' disappeared. S&F!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I've never seen anything like that before - just beautiful.

Pictures like these, events from Mother Nature like these almost put the rest of the # going on in the world aside for a while. I mean, everyone in the world full of piss and hatred should be forced to see things like this. Might cause them to rethink their actions and treatment of others.

S&F

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Magic

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Cheers everyone - glad you enjoyed it

How lucky were those tourists - the ice is only blue for a matter of hours after surfacing!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
So Cool! Did it have a smell? Did you taste it?
Do you know if it has copper sulfate in it (the Blue color)?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

I feel you on that! I am a redhead. I have never heard of blue ice before, I wonder how it taste.

Thanks OP for the info and the beautiful blue ice. It looks like glass

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I agree with everyone else, I'd want to taste it. I'd just forever wonder unless I got a piece.

top topics

join