It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flare will cause devastation.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

I think most of us would be completely lost without all the tools and gadgets we use in our everyday lives, but then again it just might make us appreciate things a little more than we perhaps do, and not take many things for granted.

I don't think it would be the end of the world, so to speak, though I guess it would depend on how long the blackout would last for as to whether it would simply be a major inconvenience or a genuine catastrophe.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
how do they know the date?
I think it could happen any time.
if a big comet hit the sun it could flare.
or the comet could cool an island.
and that could flare.

with two years to get read we are safe.
there are a lot of underground bunkers to use.
for the very sensitive electronics.
any deep underground hole will do.
dont know how deep it needs to be.
you can get lead from builders.
make a bow with it. but lead stops radiation not magnetic pulse.
so you will need a box with two sheets of metal, steel.
it still needs to be underground but not as deep.
what about if you put very strong magnets around it?
can a strong magnetic field stop a second from passing?
it should, or at lest weaken it a lot.

Radiation; lead or very deep.
EMP; Very deep, stell box with 3 liars of steel. with resistors connecting the plates.
Magnetic pulse; Very deep. steel plates and strong magnets on the out side.

can some one with more knowledge comment on this?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by fonenyc

Wow the Alignment? Thats weird, good find

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
If this happens as they say, I have read quotes that it would take upwards of 10 years to get the grid back online to the masses....so that means massive die offs.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

I had read that sadly, this future "event" could be diverted simply by many power stations and lines having better "grounds". The Governments of the World know this solution, but being one of the disasters that "may or may not happen" there is little incentive for the "upgrades" to the systems.

So as an earlier poster had stated they "wish this would happen", i can see how they could say this in the sense that sometime could be done about this, but wasn't or is not.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by buddha

They "know" these events "may" occur because of the Suns solar cycle which they've had records of for about the last 60 years I believe.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by punterdeb
what is the general concensus, would we (the world) be infomed and given warning. or would the old "mass panic" formula come into affect. Would they let us know?

Absolutely not. Well I am a little hasty on that, if it is an unrecoverable event then no. I worked with NASA creating the Space Science Program at the university and I know that there are NO COM plans in place. By that I mean No communication plans.... However if it is something that we can make it through then yes, there will be as much notice as possible.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No need to fear strong solar flares in 2013: NASA

Dated: September 23, 2010
Source: CTV Canada News

Link: www.ctv.ca...
VIDEO: www.ctv.ca...

A solar physicist at NASA says there's no reason to think that strong solar flares expected in 2013 will disrupt life on earth, a day after a British official warned they could bring power and communications systems to a grinding halt.

"Solar flares happen all the time," NASA's Jeffrey Newmark said from Washington. "The key is, how do we mitigate?"

The space agency also has a warning system in place in the event of unusually powerful solar flares, he said, that could help safeguard power grids and satellites.

In 1859, a "super solar flare" knocked out telegraph lines around the world and lit paper on fire at telegraph offices. In today's high-tech world, a similar event could cause billions of dollars in damage, by some estimates.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: add video link

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

It's you. I guess you don't think it's going to happen.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anttyk47

Like i said, i wish we restart a new.
Imagine a inhabited world without the power that is set up now.
Instead of us moving and conquring, we stay and live and survive.

Great empires rose only because others fallen.
If this would happen - and we did not repeat our historys mistakes, we would become a better people

Well, that is exactly what is planned to happen. The Phoenix dies and rises anew. But you will be living in a wasteland world. Can you not see that your existence will be on a planet destroyed and filthy?

Those who qualify will be rounded up and migrated to church properties which have been purchased under the ARC/WWF program in conjunction with IMF and UN. They have purchased large tracts of pristine land. They will be your new Masters. Those who are not qualified---criminals, those who will not go along with church policies, etc. will be left to fend for themselves in the desolate wild.

Your wish to start anew is fanciful thinking without realizing what this "new earth" will really be by the time they are finished wrecking it. This is part of the plan of manipulation, to compartmentalize people, to give them a mark of judgment as to whether they will "qualify" and be admitted or turned to the savage elements.It is how those immortals who are in power will regain their power.
edit on 14-1-2011 by Alethea because: add

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Forecasters keep eye on 'Solar Max'

Dated: January 10, 2011, 11:59pm
Source: www.mb.com.ph...

"The latest prediction looks at around midway 2013 as being the maximum phase of the solar cycle," said Joe Kunches of the Space Weather Prediction Center at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). But there is a prolonged period of high activity, "more like a season, lasting about two and a half years," years," either side of the peak, he cautioned.

At its angriest, the Sun can vomit forth tides of electromagnetic radiation and charged matter known as coronal mass ejections, or CMEs. This shock wave may take several days to reach Earth. When it arrives, it compresses the planet's protective magnetic field, releasing energy visible in high latitudes as shimmering auroras -- the famous Northern Lights and Southern Lights.

But CMEs are not just pretty events. They can unleash static discharges and geomagnetic storms that can disrupt or even knock out the electronics on which our urbanised, Internet-obsessed, data-saturated society depends. Less feared, but also a problem, are solar flares, or eruptions of super-charged protons that can reach Earth in just minutes

So if we think about sunbathing for 2.5 years, that will totally suck if much of our telecommunications will be disrupted! No more GPS navigation, no more high speed internet (perhaps we go back to modem, again), or satellite tv, no more xbox live, and most importantly....NO MORE FACEBOOK!!!!
*cough*

Thoughts on how life will be like with a 2.5 year solar storm???

Image Link below shows the size of a solar flare in approximate relation to Earth's size. CHECK IT OUT!!!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This would certainly stink for those using pacemakers. I know my uncle has to have one because of a heart defect at birth.

As it stands, a solar flare could happen any time and if it happens around the famed 2012 end of the year, end of the world date then whoop'dee'doo. I think we should really stop focusing on freaking out about disaster and instead decide what to do in the face of it. I'm tired of seeing all this cowering about things and want to know what we're really going to do?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
I think we should really stop focusing on freaking out about disaster and instead decide what to do in the face of it. I'm tired of seeing all this cowering about things and want to know what we're really going to do?

I agree with that, and as such, I found a little article that goes into this subject a little bit

Grid Failure in 2012?

Source: www.solar-facts-and-advice.com...
Dated: January 13, 2011

What's the Solution? What's the solution?

The NASA report ends with a call for infrastructure designed to better withstand geomagnetic disturbances, improved GPS codes and frequencies, and improvements in space weather forecasting (no surprise there as they probably need support for funding – which is a really good idea since we all want to keep our electricity on and this is the best way to protect the grid at present).

On the infrastructure side – I did read an interesting interview in Wired Magazine where the "expert" recommended building and installing 5,000 "washing-machine-sized" resistors to help protect the most vulnerable transformers. He said it's possible to do this by 2012 - and would only cost around $150 million (about the same as transformer insurance).

However, they also went on to mention that the political will and support for protecting our grid also needs to be encouraged – as part of any overall energy legislation / renewable energy planning. It also turns out that adding more renewable energy systems to the grid is also helpful (e.g., the European system is much less vulnerable to solar storms than the US or Chinese power grids).

From a personal perspective, having your own independent source of power could really come in handy in the event of a protracted problem with the grid in your region. This can either be a full roof-top based system – with grid cutoff capability, or a solar generator to provide electricity for your most important electrical systems. Besides providing peace of mind as a back up system – such systems also can save money, and provide extra reliability for your most electrically sensitive equipment (e.g. your computer equipment).

Some people suggest building a Faraday cage to protect your electronics from any electrical surges that might flow through the grid, and others recommend preparing an emergency plan and stockpiling resources (food, water, etc.). Although I've never had much personal success with political activism, I think lobbying in favor or more renewable energy support, and investment / infrastructure improvement of the electrical grid really makes a lot of sense – it may be too much to anticipate success at the national level – but I would think that your chances of success with the most vulnerable New England states would be met with some positive reaction and support.

In short - it's another good reason to go solar before 2012.

Okay people time to go solar! Maybe invest in companies that are developing solar energy as we speak!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
Yes, this has been predicted for a while now, however, NASA continues to confirm this while gathering credible evidence. I really hope this happens, as knocking out the power grid would put all humans on the same level and bring down the corrupt powers around the globe. There would be a familiar simplicity to life and we would basically start from scratch. I like the idea of a simpler life, not one driven by the latest technology and greed, while much of the world already suffers. The earth needs a good cleaning and I'm on board.
P.S wouldn't it be nice to have your student loan payments and debts wiped out?

It is posts like this that convince me there is something terribly wrong with the world and its current power structure. Brave and honorable people try to correct the wrongs with positive action rather than whine like a 15 year old girl with pms. It may be true that some disasters are truely unavoidable and perhaps even unmitigatable but all I have seen during my 4 year stay on ATS is theories upon theories of doom...ranging from hostile alien invasions, to covert alien invasions via the illuminati, to giant asteriods hitting earth, to solar flares, to planet x, to solar alignments...blah-blah!

If one threat does not do us in then another threat probably will. If all else fails the PTB will start WW3 with israel and its arab neighbors going at and then everyone else jumping in...ME2-ME2 Isn't that why pacts are made and various religions exist?...to divide and conquer?

Should people just bend over to the Illuminati dickheads wishes and let them destroy humanity AND THE EARTH? People say humans are a plague, just because they are on top of the food chain, but what makes you think that will solve anything? If people are gone then another species will rise to the top of the food chain just like when dinasours perished millions of years ago and other species took over. Megaladon used to be king of the seas till it vanished and great whites now rule the seas. My point is some people UNEXPLICABLY HATE HUMANITY and have UNEXPLICABLE CONTEMPT...can you guess who it may be? I have my theories and it has to do with reptillian humanoids collaborating with the dickhead illuminati to destroy the planet JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT and because satan hates god and wishes eternal conflict. Thats my theory and I hope for everyone else's sake it fails!

Originally posted by LipanConjuring86
The government already has measures in place, and are using the taxpayers dollars to build massive underground bunkers for the elite and those invited. These locations are highly secure and government reps deny their existence when brought up; this despite the fact that you can view satellite imagery and actually go to the locations the experience the mass security. They obviously have knowledge and intelligence on some potential travesty, and although they have prepared themselves for this, they aren't prepared to release such information to the general mass. This would be highly chaotic on a global level and complete anarchy would ensue, especially if this secret was kept for some time and taxpayers dollars fueled many projects. The government is going to ride this one out and leave the people to fend for themselves. Considering the structures they are building though, it doesn't look like the people have much of a chance.

Maybe if sarah palin, ron paul and all the other tea party "conservatives" really cared about america and the world they would spend less time talking about guns and more time talking about the trillions of dollars WASTED on dumbs, biological cloning experiments, mind control, nuclear arsenal stacking, etc..etc

And oh yeah lets not forget julian assange and his crusade with leaking confidential cables. Yeah you are going to find lots and lots of "great stuff" with confidential cables...I can hear george soros in the background yelling "please don't say anything about top secret documents" because the sheep are not worthy enough to deserve it!

Let me say this---I hope all the dumbs collapse with a big earthquake so all these HUMAN TRAITORS die first while me and my buddies drink a case of frances best wine and say sallud to this pathetically evil setup world. I will never mince my words!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

On the infrastructure side – I did read an interesting interview in Wired Magazine where the "expert" recommended building and installing 5,000 "washing-machine-sized" resistors to help protect the most vulnerable transformers. He said it's possible to do this by 2012 - and would only cost around $150 million (about the same as transformer insurance).

Excuse me……. I think there has been something lost in translation here.

How in the holy heck is a resistor going to help a transformer from going into saturation? I think they are smoking something.

You get rid of the dc current flowing through the transformer to ground by decoupling the transformer from ground, or put a capacitor between transformer ground and earth ground. NOT a resistor.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
It is now time to begin the venus project. If the govt was compassionate and knew this was coming for a fact for the good of humanity they would design something like the venus project.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny

Excuse me……. I think there has been something lost in translation here.

How in the holy heck is a resistor going to help a transformer from going into saturation? I think they are smoking something.

You get rid of the dc current flowing through the transformer to ground by decoupling the transformer from ground, or put a capacitor between transformer ground and earth ground. NOT a resistor.

I think they are talking about using a resistor to to break the ground, but either way that wouldn't work, that is like an elementary science answer and would in no way work, if anything that more than likely would back build and take out not only the "secured" transformer but any that were on the line with it. If this is the "expert" then I am worried... sounds like a spin to me, could possibly be a warning from the writer. Knowing that TPTB wouldn't have any idea but that people with a little of an electronics background would catch onto it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Sometime around 2013...Do you know what this means? It means that...there will be at least 2,000 planes in the sky at anyone time...and if they are to take preventative measures to reduce loss of life, they might not run flights for a few months...? a whole year...?

This is going to be hit hard, not to mention all the people in the world with pace makers and are on dialysis. But those people that think they have microchips inserted into there bodys might be freed

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Sounds_of_Silence

Maybe its time to bring back the ocean-liners of the past? I would think they are less prone to electronic failures of any kind, carry more people per transfer, less expensive to maintain and operate, more romantic, etc.

I agree with some posters that todays world is too fast paced...and certainly too business oriented!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
I think they are talking about using a resistor to to break the ground, but either way that wouldn't work, that is like an elementary science answer and would in no way work, if anything that more than likely would back build and take out not only the "secured" transformer but any that were on the line with it. If this is the "expert" then I am worried... sounds like a spin to me, could possibly be a warning from the writer. Knowing that TPTB wouldn't have any idea but that people with a little of an electronics background would catch onto it.

The problem is if the resistor is big enough to drop enough voltage at a low enough current to stop the transformer from saturating with dc voltage, then it will also present an almost open circuit to AC current. That will mean that the transformer ground is basically ungrounded. If the transformer primary isn’t designed to operate without a ground reference (wye primary), then things will hit the fan quickly.

And contrary to what another person posted previously, The problem isn’t lack of proper grounding, it is the fact that the system is grounded too well. The grounding system is the way the GICs gain access to the system. If you eliminate grounding at one end, then you cure the problem. But you have to maintain a ground reference at one end or the system becomes unsafe.

You do that by using a transformer on the downstream side that doesn’t need a ground reference for the primary. Or basically a delta wound primary. That allows you to ditch the ground to primary connection which breaks the circuit that the GICs take through the system.

If cobble together a fix by severing the ground connection between a substation transformer ground and actual ground, then you are going to get someone killed.

This isn’t rocket science, this is basic electrical theory.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Mr Tranny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join