It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa warns solar flare will cause devastation.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Assuming that that side of the world got hit and was thrust back into the dark ages, what effect would that have on this side? or vise versa. If North America was hit and blacked out what effect on the other side of the world?

If Europe was in a long term blackout I understand the ramifications for them as far as economically, food wise and so on but would it really affect The rest of the world substantially? Other than them needing our help?

What do we receive from that part of the world that we NEED TO LIVE......necessities only.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Now they tell us, what ATS had long ago knew, and those that toe the false assurances from they were so darn quick to ridicule others...sigh...how times had change....and all humanity to be humble to keep an open mind always...may we all learn...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Originally posted by JonoEnglish
reply to post by Wildeagle

Everything relies on electronics.

Such a solar flare will be a big disaster like we haven't experienced before. Systems aren't in place to cope with such an event.

Just think, shops only supply three days worth of food A scarey thought.

Dear JonoEnglish,
That is why living in the countryside, having a knowledge of trapping and skinning animals, as well as a shotgun and plenty of ammunition is highly recommended.

I'll be eating well, while the townies are beating each other over a loaf of bread.

Regards,
T

lucky you...not everyone have the chance to be in a safe place

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

Yes, they have been warning about this and it will happen at some point. It's very important for people to make sure they have at least a wood stove for heat and cooking. I will be seeking our my Amish neighbors for tips and advice

We had our power out for nearly a week a couple of years ago. We installed the wood stove that had been sitting in our carport since we bought it. It wasn't so bad. I actually enjoyed the break in a way, although I was glad to have the power back on when it finally arrived.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Scientists believe it could damage everything from emergency services’ systems, hospital equipment, banking systems and air traffic control devices, through to “everyday” items such as home computers, iPods and Sat Navs.

It's interesting that NASA scientists warn about the economic consequences on Earth as a result of these radioactive solar flares...that being said, why are they not talking about the radiation and how this will affect our health?

I guess here would be the option of a) buy lots of sunblock so we don't get cancer from the sun, but from the sunblock solution itself....or b) don't buy sunblock and get cancer from the sun that way in 2013. The choice is yours

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc

Originally posted by JonoEnglish

Everything relies on electronics.

Such a solar flare will be a big disaster like we haven't experienced before. Systems aren't in place to cope with such an event.

Just think, shops only supply three days worth of food A scarey thought.

Dear JonoEnglish,
That is why living in the countryside, having a knowledge of trapping and skinning animals, as well as a shotgun and plenty of ammunition is highly recommended.

I'll be eating well, while the townies are beating each other over a loaf of bread.

Regards,
T

Eating well until, of course, the starving masses come looking for your food by the tens of thousands. Dont kid yourself, hungry people will do anything for a meal, include overrunning your farm.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
something to consider is if a solar flare hits and a diminished magnetic shield level, electronics could be blown. Now, this isn't to say electricity would stop working, nothing of the sort. The power plants and transportation systems, on the other hand, would be damaged. I recall hearing years back during an Ice Storm that wreaked havoc on the Eastern US and Canada that a single power transformer takes months to build.

If TSHTF at the right time, we'd be without power potentially for months, not forever, not going back to the dark ages, but we would be without electricity on a large scale for at least a month. No power, no water, no fuel, no food, you see where it goes.

A month doesn't seem that long until you think about a month with no power food water or protection or help. Then it's survival of the ruthless.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Interesting.... In a page in Edvard Munchs diary headed Nice 22.01.1892, Munch described his inspiration for the scream image thus:

“ I was walking along a path with two friends — the sun was setting — suddenly the sky turned blood red — I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence — there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city — my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety — and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.

source en.wikipedia.org...

Originally posted by Wildeagle
reply to post by ToneDeaf

I can totally see Edvard Munch scream face on the left side!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/46b769fa21ab.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/be74179e2331.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 14-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by GirlGenius
reply to post by ypperst

Yes, they have been warning about this and it will happen at some point. It's very important for people to make sure they have at least a wood stove for heat and cooking. I will be seeking our my Amish neighbors for tips and advice

We had our power out for nearly a week a couple of years ago. We installed the wood stove that had been sitting in our carport since we bought it. It wasn't so bad. I actually enjoyed the break in a way, although I was glad to have the power back on when it finally arrived.

I think it's safe to say, we should all try to have a plan of action of emergancy, for not just something like this, but for any destructive disaster. I know I will be having as much as I can organised, or at least try!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

I am confused as to how SOHO will help us?

The Light and Energy from the SUN arrive at SOHO the same time as here? Vis a vis location / transmission time etc.

We'd find out at the same time SOHO did.

It cannot see faster than the light it observes and relay the same to us.

But it is a GOOD thread OP.

The picture is "freaky"

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS Wildeagle with the beautiful red hair

It is very telling that NASA have brought this up yet again - they are obviously trying to get the message out to the world a bit louder, so that people are aware and can prepare. It made for quite perturbing reading , all the more so because it is a warning coming from NASA itself. It is hitting all the world's press and I imagine they will keep on periodically reminding people in the time ahead.

Alot of people like myself earn their living working over the internet. This is going to be a major kick up the butt for me to formulate a fall back plan for earning money and I'd suggest anyone else who works online to consider this too.

I was going to sell the huge water butts I bought when the Avian Flu Pandemic threat surfaced a couple of years ago but I think I'll hang on to them now along with some other supplies I panic -bought at the time.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Right and not to mention Pace makers.
I will be back, this is a fascinating thread, need to read more.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by aoi3610

Charged particles are ejected from the Sun during CME's and as they take days to reach earth, we would have some advanced warning. Flares are different and the electromagnetic radiation would reach us as soon as we detected it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
If this happened i would actually be relieved, not being able to use electronics, even though i am highly dependent on them is not a problem. Its the solar flares that will roast the earth that i'm worried about.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
dont know if any1 has stated this but a CME has happened twice in the last 2 days thankfully they were not aimed tword earth. they were huge to say the least. it is going to happen just when is the question?

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

Well, thankyou Cosmicpixie, for your lovely welcome, and compliment! Much appreciated!
Your av is beautiful, brings to me thoughts of warmth and love.

With Nasa bringing the subject to light like this, I really hope people listen, giving them good time to prepare.

It's really easy for people to say... ''well just turn off your electricals, and you will be fine!''
If only it were that simple.

Another poster brought pacemakers into the fold, I'm not sure how these will be affected, but can only hope that they will be safe.
Hospital equipment for those on life support etc.
People like yourself who use technology for their work.

I am sure there are many many more ways this can affect us, and not fixable with a solution of just switching things off until the storm blows over.

What I will say, is, this surely won't be the end of the world *fingers crossed*, but really is very wise to prepare for any emergency.

edit on 14-1-2011 by Wildeagle because: Made an oopsie!

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

you are 100% right my friend, yes i sit on my computer right now as i type this, and i have a mobile phone sitting next to me as well. but if we lose the power grid for days, weeks, even months, i'll be fine. being an outdoors kind of guy i know how to survive on my own and don't need to rely on electronics. i suggest all you city folk use your computers now to figure out how to hunt, trap, and even start a fire =)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This is one of the reasons why scientists are closely watching the coming solar maximum.

The August 1st, 2010 solar event.

On August 1, 2010, an entire hemisphere of the sun erupted. Filaments of magnetism snapped and exploded, shock waves raced across the stellar surface, billion-ton clouds of hot gas billowed into space. Astronomers knew they had witnessed something big. It was so big, it may have shattered old ideas about solar activity. "The August 1st event really opened our eyes," says Karel Schrijver of Lockheed Martin's Solar and Astrophysics Lab in Palo Alto, CA. "We see that solar storms can be global events, playing out on scales we scarcely imagined before."

Source: science.nasa.gov...

edit on 14-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2011 by AeonStorm because: Additional Info

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

If the sun emps the planet have no worries. We always have the abacus, sword and horses. Maybe we can correct America's obesity problem. It would even the playing field bwteen classes. Hey and maybe merlin comes back and helps us out. www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Moreover everyone, Michio Kaku, explains the implications of the solar storm coming here in later part of 2012...which NASA builds on by extending this storm into 2013.

Here is the YouTube link

"Solar cycle 24 is going to be worst than we thought"

www.youtube.com...

edit on 14-1-2011 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit YT link

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join