It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress quietly prepares to renew Patriot Act

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev
What if this act was used to help stabilise the economy, resolve 9/11 and target corruption through out the top end of town. Would this change your support for it?

This is unfortunately a utopia. But who knows, someday things change.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Heres the new boss
Same as the old boss

Maybe some day people will figure out that the left/right thing just to keep you guessing. Its starting to look like Ron Paul is the only hope we have to put a little sanity back in government and there is little he could by himself

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I doubt any good comes whith this renew.
edit on 14-1-2011 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Looks like this administration believes Gerald Calente's predictions, and they're planning ahead.

S&F btw
edit on 14/1/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The Patriot Act is here to stay. One thing our govt. is good at is holding on to power and authority once they have it. This piece of legislation just ensures that more centralized power will continue to trickle into the governments ever increasing battery.

Get used to it... Unfortunately, the backing to have it repealed is not strong enough. As long as we have "terror threats" from abroad and from within our borders, we will have the Patriot Act. The temporary aspect of it was only lip service.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Write your Representative

Spam them.

ETA: The name of the bill is H.R.67 Latest Title: To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 until February 29, 2012.
edit on 14/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

Yes we need to obay the constitution. Including the ban on alcohol.
people need to stop the crap Already If we are going to obay our laws than obay them all.don't pick your favorit parts to make arguments on. Stop taxing my paycheck please. LOL

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
consitution ? rights ? change? lol we have forgotten the criminals are still in power .

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Not that i totally agree with the whole thing.However, it seems to me Bush wanted it to protect Americans and it appears Obama wants it to control Americans. just my feelings on it.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by pirep

That's just how it was sold. Bush wanted, more accurately the government wanted, to control Americans from the very beginning.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
Write your Representative

Spam them.

ETA: The name of the bill is H.R.67 Latest Title: To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 until February 29, 2012.
edit on 14/1/2011 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

What a beautiful name for crap.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I'm in favor of a bit of legislation being introduced that will allow the government to permanently revoke the civil liberties of the population, and having it titled either the Liberty Act, or the Freedom Act. If I didn't think people would really buy into it, my curious side would want to see it done as an experiment to see just how many people would. But I already lost faith in people.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What's laughable, is that even under the patriot act and with tsa scanners, airport security in the USA is a joke.

At Seattle SEATAC "Please be reminded not to leave any bags unattended".

At Heathrow "Any unattended bags will be removed and destroyed".

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Sure we will contact our reps, and they will ignore us as usual.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Sad but true.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by RUSSO

It is interesting that the Patriot Act specifically addresses beefing up the border between Canada and the USA but says NOTHING about our most vulnerable border to the south. To put it bluntly this alone shows the Patriot Act is one big FRAUD!

Just goes to show what liars the District of Criminals are. Terrorists? If the government REALLY was concerned about Terrorists they would have used the funds in the "stimulus bill" to build the Frackin' WALL.

A lot of Americans have gotten sick and tired of the US Government's Texas two-step on the border fence issue.

Here is one group who is PHYSICALLY building the border fence: secure.conservativedonations.com...

Here is another group who monitors both the government and the border. Their videos are well worth watching. www.americanborderpatrol.com...

Isn't it time for us to CALL our government on this favoritism? we have KNOWN criminals (Illegals) getting the red carpet treatment while American's are told they must put up with sexual abuse.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   
picked up this link a few minutes ago: Congress faces series of homeland security decisions
By Chris Strohm National Journal January 7, 2011
Government Executive.com

PATRIOT Act Lawmakers face a Feb. 28 deadline when three provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act expire. The provisions give the government the ability to use roving wiretaps to monitor the communications of suspects; obtain special court orders forcing businesses to turn over evidence; and conduct surveillance on a "lone wolf," somebody not knowingly associated with terrorists. Last year, Congress simply reauthorized the provisions without making changes. Given the timeline facing lawmakers now, it is likely a straight reauthorization will be granted again. But some lawmakers, such as Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., are likely to push for substantive changes.

Homeland Security Authorization House and Senate aides say 2011 could also be the year the first authorization bill for the Homeland Security Department is passed by both chambers. The department has never operated under an authorization bill since being created in 2003. King said he expects to produce a bill by May at the latest.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Uhh, i wanted to add my comment on this same topic from another thread that got closed a bit earlier LInk Here

just wanting to share some of my current reads on these issues and offer nice credible links for others to follow..

oh and may i squeeze in a couple of more links to add to the discussion and i'll be on my way... if you follow the tsa and their union the afge like i don't. these guys and gals are posturing this year for as much of that congressional dollar (our friggin taxes!!) as they can get their hands on, and they already got their hands on your nutsack at the airport.

tsa.afge.org...

www.afge.org...
you gotta love their headline banner at the top of the webpage " STOP THE ATTACK ON GOVERNMENT"

www.fedsmith.com...

edit on 073131p://2011-01-15T07:54:21-06:00201101 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

edit on 073131p://2011-01-15T07:58:26-06:00201101 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join